IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 07-07-2020, 01:51 PM
Regular Starter

Default Upcoming DW4 extension

Per my friend from the team...

Quote:
Watson's deal has been pretty much been done but nothing signed as Watson knew the Mahomes deal was coming soon.

This has been Watson's play all along. Will be interesting to see if the numbers change at all...

Texans and Watson want to have a deal before camps starts at the end of the month so my guess is the Watson deal is signed and announced within 2 weeks.
I've also heard elsewhere that Watson doesn't want a 10 year deal. He's shooting for a 3-4 year extension which will allow him to enter FA again for a 3rd contract.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:56 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerack View Post
Per my friend from the team...

I've also heard elsewhere that Watson doesn't want a 10 year deal. He's shooting for a 3-4 year extension which will allow him to enter FA again for a 3rd contract.
Whatever the deal is it figures to be relatively anticlimactic after the newly announced blockbuster in KC.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:00 PM
All-Pro

The real question, even beyond Mahomes' contract, is whether the economy is going to hyperinflate or crash and burn over the next 5-10 years. There are people predicting both. With hyperinflation, a 10-year deal is going to look very week on the back end. If the dollar crashes, a deal with current salary levels may become golden.

It's a roll of the dice either way at this point. In addition, I would have to know the guaranteed money involved, not the one the agent will preen himself with.

Personally, I'd suggest a 4-yr deal and, beyond that, insist the player have a clause added that voids the deal at the player's option. In other words, agree to a 10-year-deal but DW has the right to opt out after four and renegotiate. That might be the best of both worlds.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:30 AM
Administrator

Texans restructured the contracts for three players yesterday (Blackson, Kelemente, and Fulton). Reports indicate they have over $22M in space this year.

Maybe they just want the room to be active for any vets cut over the next couple weeks for potential COVID depth. Or maybe they wanted the extra space to accelerate some cap hit on an extension for Watson? Or someone else cough*Clowney*cough? Otherwise why do it?