IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2019, 10:20 PM
Hall of Fame

Texans manage to use the rest of the clock and hang on for the win.

Final score:

Texans 20, Colts 17

----------------------------------------------

Ah, these Texans.... burn me on the spread on my best bet in my money contest but win the game. Good win for the team nonetheless.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:31 PM
All-Pro

Important win for the Texans. They just need to beat the Titans twice to sew up the division and a home playoff game (likely against Buffalo, Pittsburgh or Oakland).

I think I'm 2-9 this year on Thursday nights. I won the Patriots and the Chiefs and that's about it. Don't care. My picks have been like crap this year anyway.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:56 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Important win for the Texans. They just need to beat the Titans twice to sew up the division and a home playoff game (likely against Buffalo, Pittsburgh or Oakland).

I think I'm 2-9 this year on Thursday nights. I won the Patriots and the Chiefs and that's about it. Don't care. My picks have been like crap this year anyway.
Eheh. I was up to 32nd place in the money contest I am in along about Week 8. This is a contest with over 2,000 players. At the end of the contest the top 25 will win prizes paid in Bitcoin, which I love. The Texans have just about single-handedly caused a bit of a nose-dive. Tonight was the second time I've lost a best bet by a ½ point. I was so hoping OB would kick the FG at the end, there. I'm currently at #289. It'll take several 6-0, 5-1 or a 4-2 with best bet weeks for me to get back in it....
Old 11-21-2019, 11:12 PM
All-Pro

Great win.

The intentional grounding that wasn’t called was brutal. Textbook grounding. Should have ended the threat there and instead we needed a tackle at the marker.

Watson was awful in the first half and fantastic in the second. Running game was non existent and hurt us. This is one of the first games I can recall Fuller going off and Hopkins being good in the same game.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:48 PM
All-Pro

A quick check of the standings and schedules (I'll update the "Reset" thread after the weekend's games are over) shows Houston back as the third seed with a tiebreaker over Kansas City, both 7-5. Currently Buffalo and Oakland are the wild cards.

Oakland is a strange case. The rest of their schedule looks really easy except 4 of the last 6 are on the road where they've only won once all season (not counting London). So are they better than their record or worse? This week they visit the Jets so we may have to wait for December to get an answer.

Buffalo is the other strange case. They are entering a stretch of really tough games (Cowboys, Ravens, Patriots) that could bump them out of the playoffs if they can't win at least one of them.

Pittsburgh has an easier road except for the season-ender at Baltimore but are they too banged up at this point to make a run? The Browns may have ended their season with the physical beat down they supplied and they may get to finish the job in two weeks even without Garrett.

Indy still has the Buccaneers, Saints and Panthers on their schedule Hard to see them doing better than 9-7.

Tennessee is still in the hunt but they lose practically every tiebreaker so they need to win out.

As for the Texans, a 6-2 conference record puts them in the same neighborhood as the Patriots and Ravens. Yet, despite a 7-4 record, their season point differential is at a pathetic +16. Oakland is the only AFC team that has a winning record but has allowed more points than they've scored.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:52 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Tonight was the second time I've lost a best bet by a ½ point. I was so hoping OB would kick the FG at the end, there.
You realize our margin of victory was that weird bank shot by CareBear that looked on replay like it should have missed but somehow steered back to the middle and thunked the upright. Even Kris Brown is looking good right about now.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:48 AM
Hall of Fame

There's actually a few places that are showing an early line for the Texans vs. Pats match-up. Pats by 4½.

---------------------------------------------------

Watson was right on with the deep passes tonight - several 30-yard+ completions. I do wish he would start heading toward the sidelines when he feels the heat. Sometimes, it looks like he'll dodge the first guy and yet remain in the pocket.... It's OK to take off laterally....

Zach Cunningham with 16 tackles. Jacob Martin with the only sack.

The Ravens vs. the Rams on MNF should be an interesting one.... curious to see how the Rams defense does against the Ravens.....
Old 11-22-2019, 08:22 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Both of these coaches are moron play callers. The difference is, the Colts have better players.
Not sure where the Colts personell is superior outside of a couple individua situations like Darius Leonard & Quenton Nelson, though it was always a head-scratcher why an NFL team would use their 6th overall pick on an interior OLineman ?

Last edited by nunusguy; 11-22-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:30 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
There's actually a few places that are showing an early line for the Texans vs. Pats match-up. Pats by 4½.

Watson was right on with the deep passes tonight - several 30-yard+ completions. I do wish he would start heading toward the sidelines when he feels the heat. Sometimes, it looks like he'll dodge the first guy and yet remain in the pocket.... It's OK to take off laterally....

Zach Cunningham with 16 tackles. Jacob Martin with the only sack.

The Ravens vs. the Rams on MNF should be an interesting one.... curious to see how the Rams defense does against the Ravens.....
Cunningham is underrated and finally some production from one of the players we got in the ill-advised and disasterous Clowney trade with Seattle.
Colts are pretty good but obviously not the same team without Andrew Luck.
And neither are the Texans the same offense without Will Fuller healthy and in the lineup.
After last Sunday in Baltimore didn't know what to expect int last nights game so I'm just happy we got out it with a W.
Now bring on the Patriots !
Old 11-22-2019, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
You realize our margin of victory was that weird bank shot by CareBear that looked on replay like it should have missed but somehow steered back to the middle and thunked the upright.
I remind myself of this before getting too excited over the win. I sit in that endzone where the kick was attempted, and off the foot it seemed like a sure miss, then I swear the ghostly hand of Bob McNair willed it back to doink in. Maybe.

Had a feeling pregame too that this game could come down to a late field goal from either team, and the kickers were CareBear and Vinatieri. Let that sink in. A possible home playoff game determined by one of those two. Would any of us be surprised if one or both were cut by this point in the season?

Totally thought the Colts were the better coached team, and I suppose I still think that, but they dominated the Texans with the run through 3 quarters and somehow decided to pass the ball down the stretch. Wha?? Thanks, I guess.

JJo has his limits. He's lost a step. He wasn't particularly great last night either, but it's hard to not root for the guy. Burned so often by T.Y. Hilton throughout his career, JJo got a small measure of revenge against a snap count-limited and somewhat gimpy Hilton last night. I don't care the excuses, I'm just happy for him. Same guy who I swear wears #24 because he routinely gives his man a 2-4 yard cushion. But whatever. He's been here darn near a decade now so he's one of us, dammit.

And Zach Cunningham. One of the most frustratingly wonderful players. Played his game last night though. Love his game speed. Probably says as much about players like DJ Reader keeping guys off Cunningham to allow him the space to move. As much as I'm loving Cunningham today, I'm sure there disappointment lurking there again soon, but he had a nice game.

Will Fuller still lacks great hands, but he is such a difference maker when he plays. Gotta find a way to keep him on the field and involved in the offense.

Will be interesting to see if Crennel can figure out a way to counter Tom Brady next week. He's been unable to in the past with much better defensive talent, so I can't say I'm optimistic.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:05 PM
All-Pro

I hope the Texans use the extra time to do a hard study of what worked for Baltimore's offense against New England. Watson is almost as elusive as Jackson and has a better arm. Hyde/Johnson are equal to the Ravens' backs. And surely our wideouts are better than B-more's. where we don't measure up is defensively but, if you noticed what the Ravens did that night was play keep-away with long drives. At their best, the Texans can do the same thing and also burn the Pats deep if they try to cheat up.

Then again, these are the Texans and these are the Patriots so you can expect the zebras to bail out Brady if they have to.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:53 PM
All-Pro

Quote:

Then again, these are the Texans and these are the Patriots so you can expect the zebras to bail out Brady if they have to.
Been a Houston staple since the Luv U Blue days. Yes I'm still bitter over the outbounds ruling on Gifford"s TD to Renfro.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:08 AM
All-Pro

You're thinking of the Steelers in the AFC Championship and the QB that day was Dan Pastorini. Gifford Neilson was the backup from the Chargers playoff win in 1979, unless you were actually thinking of Frank Gifford, in which case your drugs are stronger than mine.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:40 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
You're thinking of the Steelers in the AFC Championship and the QB that day was Dan Pastorini. Gifford Neilson was the backup from the Chargers playoff win in 1979, unless you were actually thinking of Frank Gifford, in which case your drugs are stronger than mine.
The evil empire in the 70's was the Steelers, now its the Patriots, in the 80's and half the 90's it was the 49ers. The NFL picks a favorite son, and the refs give them special calls. It's been happening since the merger. TV has gotten better at catching the ghost calls. And Houston has never been the team that the ghost calls worked for.

I had to go back and rewatch the play, and your memory is better than mine, it was Dan Pastorini throwing that ball. My faulty memory on that one
Old 11-24-2019, 03:55 PM
All-Pro

No sweat. My memory is getting more feeble as I age. It was 40 years ago.

Not sure if Tennessee will beat Jacksonville, but even if they do, the Titans lose the tiebreaker to Indy and then Indy loses the tiebreaker to Oakland and Pittsburgh (lost to both head-to-head) then Pittsburgh beats Oakland with a better conference record. So Buffalo keeps the 5 seed (8-3) while Pittsburgh has the 6 seed this week at 6-5.