IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 02-07-2010, 09:20 AM
All-Pro

Default WalterFootballs 4-Round Mock

Houston's primary goal is to beat the Colts. They came close twice this year, but ultimately failed because of missed field goals and sloppy turnovers. However, their inability to stop Peyton Manning didn't help matters. In those two contests, Manning was a combined 61-of-85, 562 yards, four touchdowns and three interceptions.

Free safety isn't Houston's biggest need, but the position can be upgraded. And besides, Earl Thomas is the type of ballhawking free safety that could get the Texans one step closer to finally defeating Manning.
1. Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
2. Perrish Cox, CB, OKlahoma State
3.Toby Gerhart, RB, Standford
4. Arthur, DT, Syacuse
http://walterfootball.com/draft2010_1.php
Agree with Walters analysis of what the Texans need to do except maybe I'd say our primary goal is to have a winning intradivisional record (instead of a pathetic 1-5 mark) which would almost surely require a split with the Colts.
But I don't necessarily agree with their theory that so much emphasis should be placed on the DBackfield with our first 2 picks ? And I'm definitly a believer
in positional value and therefor don't place that much emphasis on the safety position.
But Walters has a good site IMO with lots of analysis and explanation for their picks.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Pro Bowler

For some reason I'm just not that high on Thomas, probably because of his slight build. We've already had one like that in dRob.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:40 PM
All-Pro

Thomas is 197 pounds, DRob was like 178 coming out, 20 pounds is quite a bit.

And Drob was pretty good till perhaps he got hurt and ego kicked in.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:48 AM
All-Pro

Given that some believe Thomas can play corner as well as safety, that's not bad for a 20th pick in the draft if he is there. I'd be happy with Iupati also. Dwyer falls into round two with this mock.

I like the idea of pairing Thomas with Pollard. Thomas is a ball hawk in the middle and Pollard can lay the wood in the box. It would be the best safety tandem we've ever had.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:20 PM
All-Pro

My cherry pick

20 Earl Thomas, FS, Texas not my favorite pick, but not a bad pick. Might be to soon for Mike Iupati, G, Idaho, Donovan Warren, CB, Michigan, Kyle Wilson, CB/PR, Boise State so
51 Perrish Cox, CB/KR, Oklahoma State, my # 4 CB, not a bad pick up.
81 Mike Johnson, G, Alabama solid senior bowl week keeps him in the 3rd.
115 Montario Hardesty, RB, Tennessee solid RB, not sexy but solid.

Would rather trade down and gather another 2nd rounder.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Pro Bowler

I really don't think we can get another 2nd for trading down at #20. What would you say to trading out of the first round for an extra 2nd, and maybe a 3rd and 5th?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:38 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I really don't think we can get another 2nd for trading down at #20. What would you say to trading out of the first round for an extra 2nd, and maybe a 3rd and 5th?
That works for me.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
It really depends on who is available when the Texans pick. If they are not too excited about their options then yes trade out by all means.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Veteran Depth

Based off of this I'd go...

1. Mike Iupati OG Idaho
2. Maurkice Pouncey C Florida (goes 1 spot in front of us but he's in the ballpark so I make the move to get him)
3. Ryan Matthews RB Fresno State
4. Major Wright FS Florida
Old 02-13-2010, 02:27 PM
All-Pro

Default 2010 Texans Rounds 1,2,3,4,5 Mock NFL Draft

http://cdsdraft.com/mocks/member-moc...ex.php?id=7602

Last Updated: 02/10/2010 - 5:12PM CST
Posted By: 2147zeroxblitz

Round 1, Pick# 25 - OT Charles Brown
In this scenario, the Texans trade down with the Ravens,so the Ravens can make sure to grab TE Jermaine Gresham and they only give up a third round pick. Texans take Charles Brown because he's the best LT available at this point. They would move former LT Duane Brown to LG, since he's not the solution at LT for a pass-happy team.

Round 2, Pick# 19 - CB Perrish Cox
Cox, McCourty, Ghee, Warren, Wilson, Franks...as long as the Texans grab a CB in the second, this draft will be a good one. I wouldn't necessarily take them in that order, but the point being take the best CB available at that point.

Round 3, Pick# 20 - C J.D. Walton
The Texans need a center who won't play rag doll with Kris Jenkins. Guess which one was the rag doll in that situation? Anyway, Walton would complete this O-line, which would help to finally getting the ground game going again. The Texans have to jump on Walton now and not risk him being taken before the third round they got from the Ravens.

Round 3, Pick# 25 - RB Ryan Matthews
Don't think Matthews will last to this spot at all, but this would be good value. The Texans take another 3rd round RB.

Round 4, Pick# 19 - WR Danario Alexander
I think they take Alexander because of his size and potential, plus he could really help as a big red zone target.

Round 5, Pick# 20 - DT Jay Ross
Could become a good DT in a 4-3, but he may take some work. Still, they need the depth on the D-line.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Regular Starter

Using Roy's trade scenario in Walt's mock I'd take:

1.#25- Jahvid Best, RB, California
We select one of the fastest and most explosive RB's after seeing Chris Johnson's success last year. Our running game last year ranked near the bottom and Kubiak has stated he will address that early in this years draft.

2.#19-Maurkice Pouncey, C/G, Florida
Pouncey solidifies our interior line with solid pass protection and run blocking skills.

3.#20-Reshad Jones, S, Georgia
Jones here is a steal. He should be able to start and instantly improves our secondary.

3.#25-Linval Joseph, NT, East Carolina
Many feel the Okam experiment is over so taking Joseph here makes sense. He won't have to start right away and has size you don't find too often.

4.#19-Walter McFadden, CB, Auburn
We take a CB here and McFadden is the best available. Texans will try to resign DRob, but if they can't McFad will start opposite Reeves/Quin.

5.#20-Charles Scott, RB, LSU
Scott falls a bit because of some injury concerns, so we take him here knowing he'll mainly be used as a situational back. We were horrible in the red zone last year.

Last edited by Blitzwood; 02-13-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:11 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwood View Post
Using Roy's trade scenario in Walt's mock I'd take:
This is the way I'd go as of today 13 Feb 2010

1.#25- CB Patrick Robinson 5'11" 194 4.42 Florida St

2.#19- RB Ryan Matthews 5'11" 220 4.49 Fresno St.

3.#20- OG Mike Johnson 6'5" 305 5.38 Alabama

3.#25- DT Tyson Alualu 6'2" 295 4.96 California

4.#19- CB Myron Lewis 6'2" 205 4.52 Vanderbilt

5.#20- OC Ted Larsen 6'2" 300 5.24 North Carolina St

Lewis would be my FS
Old 02-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Veteran Depth

Guys:

How accurate is nfldraftscout.com historically? Their ratings and rankings and draft round predictions ?
Old 02-13-2010, 10:39 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRocket View Post
Guys:

How accurate is nfldraftscout.com historically? Their ratings and rankings and draft round predictions ?
About as accurate as anybody else on the day of the draft

Guys that are currently listed where they are, may or may not be listed in the same round 6 weeks from now. This is an amorphous ameoba, that is constantly changing shape.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
About as accurate as anybody else on the day of the draft

Guys that are currently listed where they are, may or may not be listed in the same round 6 weeks from now. This is an amorphous amoeba, that is constantly changing shape.
Thanks Roy. I know there is a huge BS factor in all draft stuff that we are privy to, but they seem pretty thorough although it is just blanks that can be filled in.

Do you have better suggestions that don't cost a lot?
Old 02-14-2010, 05:25 PM
All-Pro

My favorite is TheHuddleReport.com and it is really a combination of authors. Aaron Freeman works the Teams' Needs angle of the draft. Fred Jones does a probability thing considering the top 3 choices for a team. Robby Esch sort of compiles all the outside data with his own grades. However, the main reason I like it is because of Drew Boylhart. He is very opinionated and is the voice of the player profiles much like Mayock, Kiper, McShay, etc. You might not agree with everything he says, but at least he's willing to say that the 1st round consensus guy is going to be a BUST if somebody drafts him like all the experts are predicting. It only costs $10 per year.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/...ardstats.shtml

These are their stats in terms of accuracy. Again, the board changes until draft day, so today's board may not be the one to go by. However, it gives a pretty decent approximation.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:31 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
However, the main reason I like it is because of Drew Boylhart.
BOTTOM LINE

Because of Dan's size and quickness and good lateral agility he can play multiple positions in any style of defense for you. I have no doubt that he could be a DE in a 3-4 defense also because of his quickness off the line and lateral agility. Dan is as close to a finished product that you can get at the college level for his position. He has the speed to catch most QB's from behind when they break the pocket, which is surprising for a person who is as large as he is. Let me tell you, when you see Dan on film start to chase down a QB from behind, it's like sitting on a boat and staring at a stunt plane as you think it is diving into the horizon when in all actuality, it just dove directly into the lake your boat was sitting on It looks like it's all not happening in real time. That's why I call him Dan (Real Time) Williams because it looks like Dan is not playing in real time.
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/ppSD/...n.Williams.htm
So Roy, you're a Boylhart fan so IYO just what the hell is this guy saying here about Williams, because it's unclear to me what his message is, what metapher he's trying to use, or just what ? If I didn't know better I'd say he's maybe smokin something while he's writing up the player evaluations ? It is
colorful, kinda entertainingg language though. I think ? Does he always talk like this ?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:17 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
BOTTOM LINE

Because of Dan's size and quickness and good lateral agility he can play multiple positions in any style of defense for you. I have no doubt that he could be a DE in a 3-4 defense also because of his quickness off the line and lateral agility. Dan is as close to a finished product that you can get at the college level for his position. He has the speed to catch most QB's from behind when they break the pocket, which is surprising for a person who is as large as he is. Let me tell you, when you see Dan on film start to chase down a QB from behind, it's like sitting on a boat and staring at a stunt plane as you think it is diving into the horizon when in all actuality, it just dove directly into the lake your boat was sitting on It looks like it's all not happening in real time. That's why I call him Dan (Real Time) Williams because it looks like Dan is not playing in real time.
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/ppSD/...n.Williams.htm
So Roy, you're a Boylhart fan so IYO just what the hell is this guy saying here about Williams, because it's unclear to me what his message is, what metapher he's trying to use, or just what ? If I didn't know better I'd say he's maybe smokin something while he's writing up the player evaluations ? It is
colorful, kinda entertainingg language though. I think ? Does he always talk like this ?
Have been a fan of the site for years, and yes Boylhart always talks like this. I like him too.

IMO Drew is saying that it appears Williams is playing faster than everyone else.

And no I do not always agree with him on guys. I use my own eyes as much as I can.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:04 PM
All-Pro

What PK said.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:13 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Have been a fan of the site for years, and yes Boylhart always talks like this. I like him too.

IMO Drew is saying that it appears Williams is playing faster than everyone else.

And no I do not always agree with him on guys. I use my own eyes as much as I can.
OK then what we have here as they say "is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.....", right ? But I'll play along, and yea I agree it's kinda fun.
Thanks PK.