IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 12-21-2014, 10:35 PM
All-Pro

Just got a mock from DraftTek.com dated 12.17.14

14 Brett Hundley UCLA QB 6'3" 227
Quote:
Well, Ryan Mallett didn't show much during his short audition . . . and he's a F/A in 2015. Ryan Fitzpatrick is injured and has one more year on his 2-year contract with the Texans . . . and Tom Savage looked like a 3rd-string rookie QB starting his first game against the Colts. Folks, this team needs a QB and the athletic Hundley from UCLA should be a nice candidate for HC O'Brien to groom.
46 Charles Gaines Louisville CB 5'11" 175
Quote:
Starter Kareem Jackson is a F/A in 2015 . . . do you open the vault for a player better suited to play nickel? Johnathan Joseph needs a pick-pocket partner in crime and so far, Messrs. Hal, Bouye, Morris, or Rolle have not stepped up to the plate. Gaines led the Cardinals in interceptions as a sophomore and has great hands, as he has also played offense.
78 Josh Harper Fresno State WRF 6'1" 185

110 Tevin Coleman Indiana RBF 6'1" 210

Last edited by painekiller; 12-21-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:42 PM
All-Pro

New Walter's mock

15 Ronald Darby, CB, Florida State
The Texans wanted to address cornerback depth in the previous offseason, but never got around to it. Perhaps they will this spring after seeing how poorly their corners performed this season.

Pick change; previously P.J. Williams, CB

50 Benardrick McKinney, LB, Mississippi State
The Texans really need help in the interior of their defense, as Brian Cushing is not expected back with the team next year.

Pick change; previously Sammie Coates, WR

81 Ray Drew, DE/DT, Georgia
The Texans have struggled against the run this year because they miss Antonio Smith, whom they failed to replace this past offseason. Here's an upgrade who will make their defensive front even more formidable.

Pick change; previously Sean Hickey, OT

I like a CB in the 1st, and would like an SEC ILB in the 2nd round. I do not agree that we are weak against the run currently at DE. I am also looking forward to Nix's return next off season.

But I am not sure the guys we have are what RAC would ideally have on defense.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:01 PM
All-Pro

Another Walter Mock

16 Landon Collins, S, Alabama
Landon Collins slips a bit out of circumstance in this update, but the Texans won't complain too much. They have some issues at safety that they need to address. Former second-rounder D.J. Swearinger has not lived up to expectations.

Pick change; previously Ronald Darby, CB

51 Benardrick McKinney, LB, Mississippi State
The Texans really need help in the interior of their defense, as Brian Cushing is not expected back with the team next year.

82 Josh Harper, WR, Fresno State
It's unknown how much longer Andre Johnson will last, but the Texans could look into adding a future No. 2 wideout across from DeAndre Hopkins.

Pick change; previously Ray Drew, DE/DT
Old 12-31-2014, 10:29 PM
All-Pro

I would not bring back Cushing (even though he's one of my all time favorites), but I had not heard it was likely the Texans wouldn't bring him back.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:52 PM
All-Pro

I'm really excited about this. Why, the last time the Texans had the #16 pick they made off with Travis Johnson!

What a complete joke this team is. Yes, Casserly, I know. But let's get back to reality today. Two playoff wins in thirteen years. This is 100% on the owner. He is a fkwit. His son is worse. We are going to have to live with Cal McDickwit for another, hell, lifetime.

Sure, BOB seems to break the mold of previous Texans head coaches by not being a total dickwit but with these clowns at the controls that will get us only so far.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:22 PM
All-Pro

They made off with Travis Johnson after trading out of the spot to take LB Derrick Johnson. Still wince over that one.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:01 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
They made off with Travis Johnson after trading out of the spot to take LB Derrick Johnson. Still wince over that one.
I was literally jumping up and down when it became clear that Derrick Johnson would be available. Then the Texans went and did what they did and I sat back down in total disbelief. You know, honestly, things haven't been quite the same between the team and me since. Hell, I used to travel significant distances to watch PRESEASON games. And now I haven't attended a game of any kind in years. I might just go to the game in Miami next year, though, depending on when it is.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:46 PM
All-Pro

Neither of these QBs looks very good in this semi final. Mariotta looks about like what I see when I watch my local HS team (Manvel), except he's bigger with a bigger arm. I think in the whole 1st half he has attempted to make an on time pass in the pocket to a receiver more than 5 yards downfield about 3 times. It's a junior high offense.

I'd go with Winston if I was picking between the two. I've seen more guys grow up in the NFL than I've seen guys learn to be QBs.

Last edited by barrett; 01-01-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:44 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I would not bring back Cushing (even though he's one of my all time favorites), but I had not heard it was likely the Texans wouldn't bring him back.
I was surprised by that comment, but still hope for Cushing to fully recover and be back.

But I'm good with drafting a top ILB fairly early.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:18 PM
All-Pro

BTW, what choice was Cushing? Wasn't he mid-first a few years back?
Old 01-02-2015, 10:37 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
My understanding of the cap hit on Cushing is that he will cost more to cut than to keep this year, from a football move cutting Cushing makes sense, from a cap move it doesn't. I could be wrong on the cap hit.

No matter Cushing health, the team needs to draft another ILB in the top three rounds.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:39 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
BTW, what choice was Cushing? Wasn't he mid-first a few years back?
He was #15 in 2009
Old 01-03-2015, 01:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
My understanding of the cap hit on Cushing is that he will cost more to cut than to keep this year, from a football move cutting Cushing makes sense, from a cap move it doesn't. I could be wrong on the cap hit.
Yeah, Cushing isn't really the one to cut. You could try to ask him to restructure his base, which I think is $4 million in 2015, but there are many other spots on the roster more easily addressed financially than Cushing this season. He signed like a 6-yr extension two years ago, so he's probably here not just for 2015 but for 2016 as well.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:23 AM
All-Pro

a new drafttek mock 2.18.15

16 Houston Malcom Brown Texas DT34 6'4" 320

Quote:
The Texans are not influenced by opinions when considering in-state selections; the correlation between talent, value, and need supercedes emotion. Texans' draft decisions are based on what's best for the team, and Big Malcolm's versatility makes this pick intriguing. Houston already has a phenom unleashing havoc on opposing QBs and RBs; it's time to get JJ a dance partner. The "next-best thing" to having one dominant, versatile, and respectful defensive lineman . . . is having two! Scheme-versatile players increase play call flexibility and make the defense more unpredictable. Opponents must prepare for multiple alignments instead of just one. Malcom is not going to come in and produce JJ Watt numbers during his rookie season, although he is a plug-and-play rookie with the versatility to have a special career. ~CME, Texans Analyst
51 Houston Charles Gaines Louisville CB 5'11" 175
Quote:
Upcoming roster moves will play a significant role in determining priority levels assigned to position groups as the Texans construct their draft board. Uncertainty surrounding the CB position makes one thing certain; the Texans must address the position before the 2015 season. Even if Kareem is re-signed to a long-term deal, J Joe has a large cap figure and is not getting any younger. The earlier a replacement is identified, the better. Charles Gaines has a reputation for making "Deion-like business decisions" when it comes to tackling, but his coverage skills are in-line with the best CBs in this draft. Gaines is a former WR who understands route concepts and would fit nicely into the Texans' nickel CB role. In addition to his defensive prowess, Gaines provides an immediate boost to the return game. ~CME, Texans Analyst
82 Houston Tony Lippett Michigan State WRF 6'3" 190
113 Houston Ameer Abdullah Nebraska RBC 5'9" 194
144 Houston Tyler Kroft Rutgers TE 6'6" 240
179 Houston Sean Mannion Oregon St QB 6'4" 220
210 Houston Junior Sylvestre Toledo ILB 6'0" 222

Not sure I agree with this one, though another DT could give this team a jumbo package it currently does not possess, and if Nix comes back healthy, it gives the team the potential to have a formidable rotation at the NT. As for the CB, not sure BOB will go for a CB who shy's away from tackling.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:54 PM
All-Pro

One thing you have to agree is that the Texans have never been into drafting local fan favorites from college. Even Case Keenum was a UDFA, not a draft choice. We passed on big-name Aggies and Longhorns several times over the years.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:03 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
One thing you have to agree is that the Texans have never been into drafting local fan favorites from college. Even Case Keenum was a UDFA, not a draft choice. We passed on big-name Aggies and Longhorns several times over the years.
In 2003 the Texans took Chance Pearce OC Texas A&M
In 2004 they took Sloan Thomas WR Texas
BTW Casserly's drafts really sucked
In 2007 Kasey Studdard OG Texas
In 2008 Frank Okam DT Texas
In 2009 James Casey TE Rice
In 2011 Cheta Ozougwu DE Rice
In 2012 Randy Bullock K Texas A&M

So not many local kids, and sadly even less memorable local kids.

This was more interesting to me:

Position Picks 1st Round
Quarterback 6 1
Running Back 7 0
Fullback 1 0
Wide Receiver 9 2
Tight End 6 0
Offensive Tackle 7 1
Offensive Guard 6 0
Center 4 0
Defensive End 7 3
Defensive Tackle 8 2
Linebacker 10 2
Cornerback 11 2
Safety 9 0
Kicker 1 0
Punter 0 0

Very little offense has been drafted in the 1st by this team 4/9 (O/D)

Edit note *** Sorry this is hard to read, it is all lined up until I hit save.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:01 PM
All-Pro

I think those were all last-day choices though. Clearly "We have to get to Peyton Manning" has been the draft's overall meme all these years.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:11 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I think those were all last-day choices though. Clearly "We have to get to Peyton Manning" has been the draft's overall meme all these years.
Yes to both points. And I agree with general premise that the team has not used local talent as a bump up the board.

I think we can name a view guys from the big state schools that many fans wanted the team to draft, and none where picked.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:57 PM
All-Pro

DraftSite.com has this 7 round mock.

16 Malcom Brown DT Texas 6' 3" 325
51 Jalen Collins* CB LSU 6' 0" 195
82 Rob Havenstein OT Wisconsin 6' 7" 330
113 Deontay Greenberry* WR Houston 6' 2" 200
144 Arie Kouandijo OG Alabama 6' 5" 320
179 Shaquille Riddick OLB West Virginia 6' 5" 245
210 Xzavier Dickson ILB Alabama 6' 2" 265

The teams FA loses and signing will have an impact on this mock.

My take:
16 Melvin Gordon* RB Wisconsin 6' 1" 205
51 Alex Carter* CB Stanford 6' 0" 195
82 Clive Walford TE Miami 6' 4" 255
113 Donovan Smith* OT Penn State 6' 6" 340
144 Mike Hull ILB Penn State 6' 0" 230
179 Adrian Amos S Penn State 6' 0" 215
210 Darren Waller WR Georgia Tech 6' 6" 240

Why not a Penn St heavy draft? I am kidding about that, but the position groups might be close, and I would not be shocked if they drafted 2 TEs. I am interested in getting faster on offense, thus Gordon the kid can fly. I am not feeling any of the QBs projected to be available to them.Would not be upset if they signed Jerry Lovelocke QB Prairie View A&M as an UDFA.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:13 AM
All-Pro

Vandermeer had a mock up that I didn't hate.

First Round – Trae Waynes, CB Michigan State

Second Round – Denzel Perryman, ILB Miami

Third Round – Donovan Smith, OT Penn State

Fourth Round – Bryce Petty, QB Baylor

Fifth Round – Deontay Greenberry, WR Houston

Sixth Round – Jean Sifrin, TE UMass

Seventh Round – Malcolm Brown, RB Texas

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...d-41c6dffbfac6