IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 03-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Pro Bowler

Coby Fleener would likely be a good replacement for Dreeson, who is likely gone to FA. If they can get a likely WR in the second round to replace Jacobe, that would be slick.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
If a 40 time is slow it is a red flag to me and it makes me look at the film. Kendall Wright is the fastest guy on the film against NFL talent every week. I have no speed concerns about him.
Maybe, but it's hard to judge "NFL caliber talent" in college before they actually DO IT in the NFL. If he turns out to be a Jerry Rice, you will be absolutely correct, But how many Jerry Rice's have there been? Just one to my knowledge.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:14 PM
All-Pro

Default WalterFootball mock 2.11.12

Quote:
Houston Texans: Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC
The Texans desperately want to draft a receiver at No. 26, but the four first-round prospects are all off the board. Thus, Houston will have to look elsewhere.

Something else the Texans are interested in doing at this juncture is to find another pass-rusher to replace Mario Williams. Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed are great, but Houston wants a third guy to get after the quarterback so it can have a strong and deep rotation.

Pick change; previously Stephen Hill, WR
Quote:
Houston Texans: Juron Criner, WR, Arizona
The Texans, a team that tends to focus in on one or two positions in each round of the NFL Draft, will take the top receiver available with at least one of their picks in the first two rounds. That's pretty much been apparent for months now, but the Houston Chronicle confirmed it recently.
Quote:
Houston Texans: Joe Adams, WR/KR, Arkansas
The Texans could easily go back-to-back receivers to kick off the 2012 NFL Draft. They're going to make upgrading the position a priority this offseason.

Pick change; previously Billy Winn, DE/DT
Quote:
Houston Texans: Philip Blake, C, Baylor
We've reported that the front office believes some team will outbid for Chris Myers in free agency, so Houston will probably have a big need at the center position.
Quote:
Houston Texans: Kheeston Randall, DE/DT, Texas
The Texans will be a little thin up front if five-tech Tim Bulman leaves via free agency.

Pick change; previously James-Michael Johnson, ILB
I do like the way this mocked ended, not sure how it begins...

And I laugh that they are using McClain as a the source in what the Texans will do, McClain has gotten it wrong every year that Rick Smith has been in charge.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:23 PM
All-Pro

Default DraftTek.com 03.14.2012

26 Stephen Hill Georgia Tech WRF Height: 6'5" Weight: 200
58 Shea McClellin Boise State OLB34
89 Brandon Mosley Auburn LOT
121 Matt Conrath Virginia DE34
153 Nicolas Jean-Baptiste Baylor DT34
184 Quinton Saulsberry Mississippi State OC
216 George Bryan North Carolina State TE

I like the way this starts ....

Last edited by painekiller; 03-14-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Veteran Depth

I like the way both of those start, PK. Most mocks have Perry gone by our pick, as well as Mercilus, but who knows. Having watched Shea his collegiate career, I certainly like him. All he did was consistently make big plays. To be honest, I was surprised by his numbers at the combine. I just always thought it was his great football instincts that made him so good for BSU.

Hill could turn out great, with outstanding measurables, but had minimal production in college. Like I mentioned earlier, I like Mike Martin a lot. If you agree, how high would you be willing to draft him. He has a motor, and he is a big man whose built like a little man, and that's a good thing.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:57 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by idymoe View Post
Like I mentioned earlier, I like Mike Martin a lot. If you agree, how high would you be willing to draft him. He has a motor, and he is a big man whose built like a little man, and that's a good thing.
I love Martin, but I see him going in the late 2nd early 3rd.

The Huddle Report has him as the 84th best player, CBS Sports has him 78th, Draft Tek has him at 82, and Gil Brandt of NFL,com has him at 76th.

So that has him going before our third round pick, but well after our 2nd rounder.

I love his motor, and he appears to be a great gap shooter.

Last edited by painekiller; 03-14-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:49 PM
All-Pro

Default Draftsite.com 3.18.12

26 Alshon Jeffery* WR South Carolina 6' 3" 234
58 Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin 6' 4" 315
89 Josh Chapman DT Alabama 6' 1" 310
121 Bobby Wagner ILB Utah State 6' 1" 230
153 Shaun Prater CB Iowa 5' 11" 172
184 Winston Guy S Kentucky 6' 1" 208
216 Marcel Jones OT Nebraska 6' 6" 320
Old 03-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Veteran Depth

26 Whitney Mercilus
58 Kevin Zeitler
89 Marvin Jones
121 Michael Egnew or Ladarius Green
153 Joe Adams or Amini Silatolu
184 Josh Kaddu or Akeim Hicks
216 Devon Wiley

Definately some risky picks in the lower rounds. I have seen Wiley move up in some mocks. If I knew Wiley would be there in the 7th, I would take a chance on Silatolu.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 PM
All-Pro

Default Draftsite.com 3.21.12

Post Demeco Trade mock, they have us taking the following:

26 Alshon Jeffery* WR South Carolina 6' 3" 234
58 Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin 6' 4" 315
76 Keith Tandy CB West Virginia 5' 10" 198
98 Nigel Bradham ILB Florida State 6' 2" 235
120 DeVier Posey WR Ohio State 6' 2" 200
152 Levy Adcock OT Oklahoma State 6' 6" 330
183 Malik Jackson DE Tennessee 6' 5" 265
215 Logan Harrell DT Fresno State 6' 2" 275

My cherry pick:

26 Mike Adams OT Ohio State 6' 8" 300
58 Brian Quick WR Appalachian State 6' 5" 220
76 Harrison Smith S Notre Dame 6' 2" 212
98 Mike Martin NT Michigan 6' 2" 299
120 Keenan Robinson ILB Texas 6' 3" 232
152 Kheeston Randall DE Texas 6' 5" 295
183 William Vlachos OC Alabama 6' 1" 292
215 Randy Bullock K Texas A&M 5' 9" 205

While this fails to address OLB, that maybe well backed up by Nading and Braman at this time. Plus I wanted to throw out some new names to bounce off you guys.

There might not be any instant starters on this team, but there are some guys that will make plays.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 PM
All-Pro

Going OT in the first is certainly a new twist as long as it is someone who can fit the ZBS. I'm not sure about some of the individuals but I'm good with the drafting strategy. If Bullock is still there in the seventh round, that's a nice pick-up. I like getting a S and an NT.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:53 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Going OT in the first is certainly a new twist as long as it is someone who can fit the ZBS. I'm not sure about some of the individuals but I'm good with the drafting strategy. If Bullock is still there in the seventh round, that's a nice pick-up. I like getting a S and an NT.
I didn't think Adams was quite the LT, but he might work at RT. And Smith was the best safety working out at the combine. And I have loved Martin from day one in my looking at this years prospects.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:31 PM
All-Pro

Did you watch Baylor Pro Day on NFL network?

Kendall Wright looked pretty fast and quick and good at WR. Doubt he will be around at 26.

RG3 looks fantastic. Real strong arm.

Interesting Indy was there, Washington had everyone there incl the owner.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:23 AM
All-Pro

Default DraftTek.com 03.22.2012

26 Kendall Wright Baylor WRF
Quote:
Although Kendall Wright's Combine performance left something to be desired, scouts will value his production on game tape more than "underwear olympics" results. This play-maker will make an immediate impact on special teams, and there is no doubt that Gary Kubiak will install some offensive packages to take advantage of his talents. It won't be long before he's lined up opposite Andre Johnson on a permanent basis.
58 Bruce Irvin West Virginia OLB34
Quote:
Mario Williams is a Buffalo Bill! Houston's pass-rushing cupboard is not bare with starters Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin, but "Flash" Irvin adds a "speed and explosion dimension" the Texans don't currently possess. When a 245 lb OLB runs a sub-4.5 forty, 4.03 shuttle and 6.70 3-cone, plus 23 bench press reps, 33" vertical and 10'3" broad jump, that is the definition of speed and explosion (factor = 66). Look for Bruce to make a "special" impact (as in specialty defenses and special teams)!
76 Audie Cole North Carolina State SILB
98 Tom Compton South Dakota ROT
120 Matt Conrath Virginia DE34
152 Brandon Brooks Miami (OH) OG
183 Nicolas Jean-Baptiste Baylor DT34
215 D'Anton Lynn Penn State FS

I think Bruce Irving has a real shot at being a Texan.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:08 PM
All-Pro

When I read the blurb about Irvin, I was asking myself "If he's that good, why is he available at pick #58?" If he's that fast and can *tackle*, then by all means let's get him and probably with #26 since good WRs will still be available at #58.

At least he's from that Virginia/Virginia Tech/West Virginia axis that we seem to take a lot of players from.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:13 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
When I read the blurb about Irvin, I was asking myself "If he's that good, why is he available at pick #58?" If he's that fast and can *tackle*, then by all means let's get him and probably with #26 since good WRs will still be available at #58.

At least he's from that Virginia/Virginia Tech/West Virginia axis that we seem to take a lot of players from.
Solid points, He was on my radar before the combine, but like you ask, why is he not being talked about as a top 15 pick with those combine numbers?
Old 03-22-2012, 02:06 PM
All-Pro

Maybe here's why Irvin's still there at #58. He got arrested the day after his Pro Day.

Rang, CBS Sports.com
Old 03-22-2012, 03:32 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Maybe here's why Irvin's still there at #58. He got arrested the day after his Pro Day.

Rang, CBS Sports.com
Well there you go, I don't see him on the Texans radar. But remember Braman was in serious trouble with the law before we brought him to the NFL. So there is hope.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Well there you go, I don't see him on the Texans radar. But remember Braman was in serious trouble with the law before we brought him to the NFL. So there is hope.
Braman might have been the lone exception to the golden boy routine. IIRC, Wade knew his HC in college.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Veteran Depth

I guess this thread is as good as any to post this. Boise State had their pro day yesterday. I'm never real sure how BSU players will do in drills. I am always sure about their attitude, fundamentals, work ethic, etc. I was really wondering how WR Tyler Shoemaker would test out, as he didn't get an invite to the combine. He had 60+ receptions this year and a team record 16 touchdowns. He is decent sized at 6' 1 1/2" and 216. Anyway, he ran a 4.43 40 yesterday and had a 37" vertical. Very respectable for a receiver with a little size. I can tell you he runs very good routes and is a hard worker. I think he has a chance to get drafted in the 6th or 7th round. I think he would be a good value pick there.

I love Doug Martin, but since we don't need an RB, I just hope he goes to a team I don't hate.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:17 PM
All-Pro

The fact that he didn't get an invite to the combine makes him an automatic sleeper. If he's not drafted, he'll probably be in demand as a UDFA. I'm sure any scouts who went to see Martin now know who he is.