IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2019, 04:36 PM
All-Pro

Default Texans GM Brian Gaine has been fired !

Per John McClain twitter !
Statement from Houston Texans Chairman and CEO Cal McNair on Brian Gaine
The following is a statement from Houston Texans Chairman and CEO Cal McNair on Brian Gaine:

“After a thorough evaluation of our football operations, we have decided to relieve Brian Gaine of his duties as general manager. Brian is a man of high character and we appreciate his contributions to our organization. We will begin an immediate search for a new GM. In the interim, Football Operations will be led by Senior Vice President of Football Administration Chris Olsen. While the timing may be unusual, this decision was made in the best interest of our organization in our quest to build a championship team for the City of Houston.”
https://www.houstontexans.com/news/s...on-brian-gaine
This move is so much unlike the Texans who are a very conservative and a very deliberate organization when it comes to decisions.
Now this sounds like the kind of move the Chuckster would pull off but not the McNair family.

Last edited by nunusguy; 06-07-2019 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:26 PM
Hall of Fame

I thought he was doing a pretty good job. Must've been some friction somewhere in the machine.....
Old 06-07-2019, 07:59 PM
All-Pro

This is very strange and I've got to think it's more than friction. You don't fire your 1 year on the job GM in June because of friction. What is there to even have friction over this time of year? There are no personnel or coaching decisions to be made right now. There is obviously a lot more to the story.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:02 PM
Regular Starter

Sounds like perhaps McNair got word that someone he thought would be better than Gaine would be interested and available if the job were open, so he made it open.

Lots of speculation that it's Nick Caserio, the Patriots director of player personnel who they tried to interview before they hired Gaine. There also seems to be lots of talk that new executive VP for team development Jack Easterby, who came from New England, has quickly gained a lot of influence within the Texans organization.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:13 PM
All-Pro

Oh well, Brian's loss is Houston's gai...or something like that.

Goody. We're going to be Patriot Lite.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:56 PM
All-Pro

PFF mentioned what dogshit all of the FA signings have been.The caveat was those still with the team so they could ignore the two success stories. (Relative success, I guess.)

So maybe that, the buyer's remorse they may have on some or most of the recent draft picks after getting them in the building, and the availability of someone they really like have created the perfect storm.

I guess after a little reflection if they bring in someone who isn't a total dickwit I really don't care about this one way or the other.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:59 PM
All-Pro

Also, maybe getting absolutely taken to the shed by the Eagles on draft day probably factors in, too.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:53 PM
All-Pro

If we are firing the GM because we don't like his draft this year BEFORE THOSE GUYS PLAY A DOWN... then Cal is worse then Bob.

If we are firing our GM we hired a year ago because we think some other first time GM came available then ditto.

If we aren't doing this to get in front of some illegal act, then we have just descended to a level of instability that the worst Texans teams have never sniffed.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:29 AM
All-Pro

I of course have no idea what was behind this but I think it was always the case that the overwhelming odds were that Cal was going to be worse than Bob, however much effort that might require.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:00 AM
All-Pro

Look how well the Steinbrenner family tree has done with the Yankees.

Typically, the sons of the very successful aren't as good as their fathers because of the inbred sense of entitlement and having access to money to tidy up most of their messes.

Oh, did I mention the Bushes?

In general, promoting "junior" to CEO is a bad idea.

Yeah, let's hope Cal sells the team.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:20 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Look how well the Steinbrenner family tree has done with the Yankees.

Typically, the sons of the very successful aren't as good as their fathers because of the inbred sense of entitlement and having access to money to tidy up most of their messes.

Oh, did I mention the Bushes?

In general, promoting "junior" to CEO is a bad idea.

Yeah, let's hope Cal sells the team.
Younger Steinbrenner patiently drafted players and spent responsibly. He hasn't purchased championships like pops but he runs a better franchise.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:28 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
If we aren't doing this to get in front of some illegal act, then we have just descended to a level of instability that the worst Texans teams have never sniffed.
In the official statement, McNair called Gaine "a man of high character" which is not what you do when you fire somebody for cause. So I guess there's your answer...
Old 06-08-2019, 01:00 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
In the official statement, McNair called Gaine "a man of high character" which is not what you do when you fire somebody for cause. So I guess there's your answer...
Yep. I assume that's not it because of that statement, so I guess we just fired a guy after a year for some absurd football related reason.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:48 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yep. I assume that's not it because of that statement, so I guess we just fired a guy after a year for some absurd football related reason.
Or is could be friction. Ya know, clash of personalities?
Old 06-08-2019, 07:19 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Or is could be friction. Ya know, clash of personalities?
If our front office gets along so poorly that they have to fire a guy on a 5 year contract after 1 year that reflects just as poorly as any other ridiculous scenario.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:27 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
If our front office gets along so poorly that they have to fire a guy on a 5 year contract after 1 year that reflects just as poorly as any other ridiculous scenario.
I'd like to think that they decided that he just sucked at his job and decided to cut bait quickly rather than wait around for eight or ten years to see if he got any better at it like Warden Robert would have done.

But who knows, this is the Texans so it's probably something monumentally stupid.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:34 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I'd like to think that they decided that he just sucked at his job and decided to cut bait quickly rather than wait around for eight or ten years to see if he got any better at it like Warden Robert would have done.

But who knows, this is the Texans so it's probably something monumentally stupid.
I think that's the best case scenario. He was the Brock Osweiller of GMs and they decided to pay to fix their mistake.

But if that's the case how did he get hired last year?
Old 06-09-2019, 04:58 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think that's the best case scenario. He was the Brock Osweiller of GMs and they decided to pay to fix their mistake.

No one knows. At least, until something leaks out about it...

We are all speculating here. At least, I am. That's what this forum is for.

Maybe Gaine wanted out... Scenario: Gaine goes to Cal and says, "I can't work with that butt-chinned mofo anymore. I want out."

The possibilities are endless....
Old 06-09-2019, 08:07 AM
All-Pro

Quote:

But if that's the case how did he get hired last year?
Gaine had previously worked in the Texans' organization for 3 years before accepting the GM position, so you'd think he'd be a known quantity by now.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:12 AM
All-Pro

There is a rumor that Gaine inquired into the Jets job through his agent, and McNair did not want the man leading the charge on the new direction to be looking to move on, so preemptive strike.

Now there is the chance that this is total fabricated