IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 12-04-2014, 07:56 PM
All-Pro

Default Clowney to IR, Ending His Rookie Season

Clowney goes to IR and I presume we'll be hearing all week how the Texans screwed up not drafting Blake Bortles. It may turn out to be so but, for the QB, we know that being healthy enough to play isn't the same thing as playing well. Despite not being the starter when the season began, Bortles leads the league in interceptions (15). I'm sure some of that is due to playing behind so much and not having great weapons.

It does make you wonder how this season might have been different if we had drafted Bortles 1/1 but I don't want to conclude yet that the Texans made a mistake. If we're getting the same lack of production out of Clowney next year, I could be convinced it was a wasted pick but not yet.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:59 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Clowney goes to IR and I presume we'll be hearing all week how the Texans screwed up not drafting Blake Bortles. It may turn out to be so but, for the QB, we know that being healthy enough to play isn't the same thing as playing well. Despite not being the starter when the season began, Bortles leads the league in interceptions (15). I'm sure some of that is due to playing behind so much and not having great weapons.

It does make you wonder how this season might have been different if we had drafted Bortles 1/1 but I don't want to conclude yet that the Texans made a mistake. If we're getting the same lack of production out of Clowney next year, I could be convinced it was a wasted pick but not yet.
I don't see how this can now be a Clowney vs Bartles Draft question just because Clowneys rookie season was a disaster, unless it's because it happens to coincidently be the week that Clowney goes IR is the same week we play the Jags ? I can think of 2 or 3 rookie QBs that I'd rather have than Bortles and least several other non QBs and it's only because of perhaps of one team drafting very high that wants Bortles that he's takin in the top half of the first round.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I can think of 2 or 3 rookie QBs that I'd rather have than Bortles
Really? Which ones? I still think Bridgewater and Bortles are my two faves from this draft class and would have been happy with either. I wanted Teddy over Clowney and others then, and I'd still take Teddy now. In spite of the picks, I've been a bit impressed with Bortles. He's just got hot garbage around him for playmakers right now. I think he'd be considerably more effective if he had Foster, Hopkins, AJ, etc. around him.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:07 AM
All-Pro

It seemed to me that the Texans took Clowney because they couldn't justify passing him up rather than being in love with guy. I think they were in love with Bortles even though the fan base was in love with Manziel. So, I think it is fair to say that if Clowney had not been available, the Texans would have taken Bortles.

Then you figure no trade for Mallett, Fitz has a rather permanent seat on the bench and the Texans are probably 5-11 while we watch Bortles make a lot of mistake and excuse them because he's a rookie and still learning. It's a whole different season.

Now, I'm speaking from the standpoint of someone who fully endorsed drafting Clowney so this is no "told you so" post. It's also too soon to say the Texans made a mistake but I would expect the "we should have taken a QB first" chorus to chirp up with news of Clowney being done for the year.

As I've said before, it's amazing to see the improvement this year when you realize we got almost nothing from our first five draft picks.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:47 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Really? Which ones? I still think Bridgewater and Bortles are my two faves from this draft class and would have been happy with either. I wanted Teddy over Clowney and others then, and I'd still take Teddy now. In spite of the picks, I've been a bit impressed with Bortles. He's just got hot garbage around him for playmakers right now. I think he'd be considerably more effective if he had Foster, Hopkins, AJ, etc. around him.
Bridgewater, Carr, & Garappalo. Did not like J.Football - average arm, besides he's gonna end up in one big cast.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:56 AM
All-Pro

In a Draft absent any apparent elite QBs or any who O'Brien liked, Clowney was obviously the most highly rated player. Now whether or not he's the best remains to be seen, but I just think the Texans took the best player (according to what the xperts said) who in effect was thought to be the safest pick, who also played a premium position that was a big need area for the Texans. The only question I have about the Texans Draft stradegy was why they were holding out for so much to trade the #1, if the reports were true.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:26 PM
All-Pro

Bortles looks terrible. He also looked terrible about half the time against AAC competition last year. He didn't start looking great until the football games stopped, the draft process started, and he was being evaluated in shorts instead of pads. I'll be shocked if we ever regret not drafting Bortles. And I think we will crush him this weekend.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Then you figure no trade for Mallett, Fitz has a rather permanent seat on the bench and the Texans are probably 5-11 while we watch Bortles make a lot of mistake and excuse them because he's a rookie and still learning. It's a whole different season.
You think Bortles would have started from Game 1 in this scenario? I don't. I think we would have seen much of the same thru Fitzy's benching three weeks ago. Bortles might have been handed the starting job around the same time as Mallett (during the bye week). At least thru the first 11 games, I don't think the season would have been much different. Since the Cleveland game though, yeah... total unknown how Bortles would have done, but I suspect not as well as Mallett did, but who knows.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:04 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
You think Bortles would have started from Game 1 in this scenario? I don't. I think we would have seen much of the same thru Fitzy's benching three weeks ago. Bortles might have been handed the starting job around the same time as Mallett (during the bye week). At least thru the first 11 games, I don't think the season would have been much different. Since the Cleveland game though, yeah... total unknown how Bortles would have done, but I suspect not as well as Mallett did, but who knows.
Maybe the QB position would have gone the same, but do you really think we'd have the same record without Clowney's contribution?
Old 12-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
do you really think we'd have the same record without Clowney's contribution?
Old 12-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Mod note: Split the Clowney IR discussion from the Jags game thread. Hope I pulled away all of the relevant posts on this topic.

Quote:
it's amazing to see the improvement this year when you realize we got almost nothing from our first five draft picks.
It's tough to truly assess a draft less than 3 or more years out, but when you already have a sinking feeling that a draft (like this one) is nearing total disaster less than 1 year out, it's a bad sign.

Clowney - IR
XSF - backup
CJF - backup
Irish Chocolate - IR
Savage - project QB

... At least in the case of the first four listed, it will be like having two rookie classes in training camp in 2015 when these guys all come back. That's the glass half full way of looking at this. The other way is to shudder in thinking that the same knuckleheads who came up with this class are likely putting the names on the cards again next year.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:08 PM
All-Pro

Despite what I said, I'm still okay with the draft. XSF and CJF will play bigger roles next year. Clowney and Nix, I hope, will be healthy and big contributors (not too big for Nix since he needs to lay off the fried chicken). Savage? Well, the job is wide open and he probably will have two years minimum to leave an impression.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:43 PM
Hall of Fame

Clowney out 9 months after having microfracture surgery. Looks like he may miss the start of 2015.....
Old 12-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Clowney out 9 months after having microfracture surgery. Looks like he may miss the start of 2015.....
Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but this guy's career is in jeopardy. Very few come back from this sort of surgery. If this injury is related to an injury he sustained in college, Rick Smith should be fired immediately. If this is related to the injury he sustained from the turf, well, Bob McNair is a complete imbecile because he knows darn well that turf sucks and has continued with it for 12 years now.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Pro Bowler

Definitely another poor look for the Texans medical staff. Supposedly, per Rick Smith via Jabba, the Texans knew this was a possibility but wanted to try less invasive option first. I'll defer to the guys in the white coats as to whether or not that was a good idea.

Saw on PFT that Reggie Bush and Maques Colston had this surgery. They've turned out fairly well.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:48 PM
Administrator

This is very bad.

And if you want to believe this from Rick Smith:
Quote:
“It’s a pretty extensive rehab period,” general manager Rick Smith said. “We’re hoping to have him back for the start of the season."
then you're a fool. No doubt he is missing the start of the 2015 season. Best case he is ready mid-season.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:11 AM
All-Pro

From Worldwide Leader:

Quote:
After he met with renowned orthopedic surgeon James Andrews on Wednesday, it was determined that Clowney needed a second surgery on his right knee.

Dr. Walt Lowe, the Texans' team doctor, performed both the scope on Clowney's knee earlier this season and the microfracture surgery.
So, Dr. Lowe didn't get it done right the first time so the Texans give him a second crack it??

This is the first overall draft choice that we paid a ton of money to and the Texans are going cheap by using the in-house surgeon who didn't fix the problem the first time. This sounds like Mario and his feet all over again. Man, does this get old.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:18 AM
All-Pro

What a joke of a franchise. They will never win anything, ever. Not unless they hire a Parcells sort who comes in and totally takes over. I don't know if there are any Parcells sorts left.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:43 AM
Administrator

Well, we can trust in the team's experience with microfracture surgeries. It went so great with Brennan Williams. Remember him? The 3rd round pick from 2013 who was cut a year later after he underwent the procedure.

Seriously. Injuries are a fact of life in the NFL, but the medical history on this team has been an issue since the Tony Boselli drama and the days of the expansion draft. Maddening misinformation and an apparent lack of accountability when it comes to the medical side of their business.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:42 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
From Worldwide Leader:

So, Dr. Lowe didn't get it done right the first time so the Texans give him a second crack it??

This is the first overall draft choice that we paid a ton of money to and the Texans are going cheap by using the in-house surgeon who didn't fix the problem the first time. This sounds like Mario and his feet all over again. Man, does this get old.
But ultimately it's Clowneys call, and he obviously chose to return to the Texans
doctors instead of going elsewhere. Wonder why ?