IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Default Your 2008 NFL Draft LIVE Thread! [Day Two]

Let's keep it going with Day Two discussion in this thread.

I gotta believe that running back and cornerback are going to get heavy consideration with the next couple picks. I've kinda had my eye on Kevin Smith.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:37 PM
All-Pro

I'm looking at Carl Nicks (not going to happen after reaching for Duane Brown), Cliff Avril (doubtful with Shaun Thompson), Dre Moore, Andre Caldwell, Marcus Howard (see Avril), Jeremy Thompson, Jeremy Zuttah (see Nicks), Charles Godfrey, Quentin Demps, Antwaun Molden, and Tashard Choice.

I'd probably take Dre Moore (I've been saying that all along) but wouldn't mind Jeremy Thompson. However, the Texans are probably going to take Godfrey or Molden. That wouldn't be too bad, in my opinion.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:42 PM
On the Sidelines

Day 2 starts off with a bang with 2 3rd round picks. I like Kevin Smith's running style and durability. I also kind of like Tashard Choice in the later rounds. Both backs fit the Texans' running style pretty well.

IMO, nobody really stands out from the CB class. It's a bit of a crapshoot between guys like Justin King, Charles Godfrey and Antwaun Molden. They're all good prospects, but who knows how they'll develop.

I think it's a good time to find a good pass rusher to compliment Mario. I like Chris Ellis with either picks in the 3rd round assuming he doesn't have any medical red flags.

Also, if he isn't picked by the time Texans pick, Dan Connor would be a great value pick.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:08 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManBernie View Post
It's a bit of a crapshoot between guys like Justin King, Charles Godfrey and Antwaun Molden. They're all good prospects, but who knows how they'll develop.

I think it's a good time to find a good pass rusher to compliment Mario. I like Chris Ellis with either picks in the 3rd round assuming he doesn't have any medical red flags.

Also, if he isn't picked by the time Texans pick, Dan Connor would be a great value pick.
That's why I wanted to select a CB in the 1st round. It's a coin flip between Godfrey and Molden in my opinion with a slight edge to Godfrey. However, because there are two prospects, I'd hope to get one with my 2nd pick in the 3rd round @ #89.

Luckily, we have an extra 3rd round pick from the Ravens, so Jeremy Thompson is too tempting to let slide @ #79. If you put Thompson on the DL with TJ, Amobi, and Mario - we might not have to blitz and could play more Zone coverage.

I'm shocked that Connor is still on the board. Somebody is going to be VERY happy when they are able to draft him tomorrow. I'd guess St. Louis, Detroit, Atlanta, New England, Baltimore, Kansas City, or San Francisco is going to get a steal.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:18 PM
On the Sidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
That's why I wanted to select a CB in the 1st round. It's a coin flip between Godfrey and Molden in my opinion with a slight edge to Godfrey. However, because there are two prospects, I'd hope to get one with my 2nd pick in the 3rd round @ #89.

Luckily, we have an extra 3rd round pick from the Ravens, so Jeremy Thompson is too tempting to let slide @ #79. If you put Thompson on the DL with TJ, Amobi, and Mario - we might not have to blitz and could play more Zone coverage.

I'm shocked that Connor is still on the board. Somebody is going to be VERY happy when they are able to draft him tomorrow. I'd guess St. Louis, Detroit, Atlanta, New England, Baltimore, Kansas City, or San Francisco is going to get a steal.
It'd be great to have a front 4 that can put consistent pressure on the opposing QB or having another effective blitzer outside of DeMeco. I think that would automatically put us in the top half in passing defense, even with Reeves and Bennett at CB. Thompson strikes me as a situational pass rusher type, does he have every down potential?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:33 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Thompson strikes me as a situational pass rusher type, does he have every down potential?
He is like the two guys that I really like (Cliff Avril and Marcus Howard) who can play OLB on 1st and 2nd down, then put his hand on the ground on 3rd down when we slide Mario or the other DE inside.
I'm talking about Chaun Thompson.

Are you talking about Jeremy? He's an every down DE.

Last edited by Roy P; 04-26-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:35 PM
On the Sidelines

oh... I forgot to add, I would love to take a look at Frank Okam in the 3rd round. I know we have already drafted 2 DTs in the 1st round in the past, but his combination of size and athleticism doesn't come around very often. I think he has the versatility to play both 1 or 2-gap at the DT. Considering our LBs are a bit on the smallish side, it might be a good idea to have that big 2-gap guy that can engage 2 blockers at a time.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:46 PM
On the Sidelines

Quote:
He is like the two guys that I really like (Cliff Avril and Marcus Howard) who can play OLB on 1st and 2nd down, then put his hand on the ground on 3rd down when we slide Mario or the other DE inside.
I don't know how good he'd be at run support on 1st and 2nd down. Did he play LB at all in college?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:17 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't know how good he'd be at run support on 1st and 2nd down. Did he play LB at all in college?
I think we are getting confused between the OLB we have Chaun Thompson and the DE I want Jeremy Thompson.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:35 PM
On the Sidelines

Quote:
I think we are getting confused between the OLB we have Chaun Thompson and the DE I want Jeremy Thompson.
Yeah I got confused... It'd be a real plus if Chaun Thompson can be a good blitzing LB. I see he had 5 sacks in 2005.

How do you think Chris Ellis compares with Jeremy Thompson? I like Chris Ellis's numbers in college, and he looks like he has a good motor.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:15 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Let's keep it going with Day Two discussion in this thread.

I gotta believe that running back and cornerback are going to get heavy consideration with the next couple picks. I've kinda had my eye on Kevin Smith.
I think that CB will be one of them also. Sometime tomorrow we will get the RB, not sure if it will be in the third. Not sure if I am over not taking Mendenhall yet, but I'll hold judgement until after the dust settles and see what how the selections turn out.

Owen Daniels, Fred Bennett, Diles.. I'll give this regime slack.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:54 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:

I like your other possibilities, but put me down as "not a Dan Conner fan". I've never been impressed with the guy.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Crapjackers. Lions traded up to take Smith with the first pick on Day Two.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Aw hell. And there goes Godfrey to the Panthers.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Pro Bowler

There goes my RB, Kevin Smith. Can't wait to see a gimp Chris Brown, a gimp Chris Taylor, a gimp grandpa Ahmad Green, a fat snail Dayne (yes, he'll probably end up on the roster knowing how the coaches - for some strange reason - love the guy), and a midget Darius Walker running behind this 'project' OL. Should be another a fun year for Schaub.

Oh well... Maybe the Texans will finally appease the Orangebloods and draft Charles.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Pro Bowler

There goes Charles to KC. Unbelievable how some teams see the value in having two good, young RBs on the roster while we just fill the position with fodder. Go ahead, give me the Broncos example and I'll tell you the last time they won a Superbowl they had a HOFer at RB. In addition, they're constantly looking for replacements. That should tell you the theory is flawed.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:39 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
How do you think Chris Ellis compares with Jeremy Thompson? I like Chris Ellis's numbers in college, and he looks like he has a good motor.
Ellis was originally a player that I would have put into the same catagory as Avril, Howard, and Chaun Thompson - just by looking at his height/weight/speed. Then when I saw him play, he looks lost. He doesn't have the instincts or football IQ that I want. So, he is off my draft board. I'll let somebody else overdraft him.

Jeremy Thompson has a motor, better size to play DE, is strong against the run, plays disciplined, and could develop into a better pass-rusher.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Pro Bowler

Texans coming up... Whatchathink, Roy???
Old 04-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Pro Bowler

Antwaun Molden - CB. Seems to be a pretty solid pick based on his measureables.

http://cle.scout.com/2/744348.html
Old 04-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Regular Starter

Was at Toledo before transferring to Eastern Kentucky. Great athlete -- 23 reps and sub-4.4 40 at the combine -- long arms, can jump, solid tackler. Raw and may lack instincts..