IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 AM
All-Pro

Rick Smith was on 610 radio TC coverage this morning talking about WR with Mark Vandermeer and all.

what I think I heard said in general:

Rick thinks the injury to Andre is nothing much at all, nothing to worry about.

They are comfortable with the 11 WR guys in camp now and will be tough to cut down to 5 or 6 on final 53 man roster.

The WR's who are most consistent and help them win the most will be the ones they keep on 53 man squad. ( I guess this is the out for bringing in someone else if makes sense).

You like to have mix of experience and new people for depth, not always the perfect mix, nothing decided yet, still very early.

They covered all the other typicl WR topics, almost every WR in TC mentioned, Who looking good, so forth.

Separately Devier Posey had several exceptional catches yesterday we are told, against JJ, so some good WR info in the news.

Jonathan Joseph apparently spent time with young WR's after practice showing them tips on how to recognize defense and get open.

I hope to go see practice Friday and watch these guys for myself if I can get a reasonable place to watch from, seems lots fans at practice this year.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
Jonathan Joseph apparently spent time with young WR's after practice showing them tips on how to recognize defense and get open.
This is awesome if true. In camp practices I've attended, this is not something I've seen often. Guys typically hang within their position groups, even before and after practices.

On a somewhat related note, what a great signing Joseph has turned out to be. I don't think this can be understated, especially considering how much we all wanted Nnamdi and failed to sign him last summer. What a fortunate outcome this has been. Looking forward to seeing him on the field this season.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Administrator

...speaking of, here is photo evidence of Danieal Manning working with DeVier Posey. Simply awesome.

https://twitter.com/NickScurfield/st...122688/photo/1
Old 08-01-2012, 10:53 AM
All-Pro

1st some bad news, Duane Brown got hurt today. We do not know how bad. I saw it happen he got tangled up and went to the ground. Seems he got his ankle rolled on. Got up slowly and and played the next down.

I never saw him leave the field but he did not get carted off as reported. They drove him to the stadium to get xrays. Hopefully this is a slight strain, not a high ankle sprain. We will know later today.

I watched from the stands today. But today they did not have rosters for us when we came in so always sure of what I am seeing. I will take my own roster on Friday.

Lestar Jean was working with the 2nd team today and Keshawn Martin was working with the ones. That is a big jump for Martin. But they also had Bryant Johnson working with the ones, so they maybe just shaking it up to see different guys against different levels of coverage.

I am going to stop telling you guys how good JJo is, the man is very very good and I am so glad is on this team.

Keep an eye on Grimes RB, he should make the practice squad. He is having a very good camp.

Beck had a mental mistake today which caused Kubaik to take away some reps on the field today.

Jeff Maehl had two drops today during team drills. That is news because he usually catches everything.

Tate made a great move when Brooks was knocked to the ground in the hole. Tate jump over him and took off on a long gain.

Mercilus had a sack on Schaub, but it was not on Brown. But still the man has amazing quickness.

Friday I will go watch OL/DL drills, so I might not be able to get you guys the info on on the team drills.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:08 AM
All-Pro

Forgot to mention Bullock putting on a show kicking in front of the whole team. Use his last two kicks as guides, he made a 50 yard shot and just barely missed the guy filming the practice on the lift. Would have been good from 60. Then they move him to 55 yds and with a high snap he made that one with room to spare, maybe another that one that would have been good from 60 yds.

He looked good.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:20 PM
All-Pro

Hopefully Brown is fine but this is why I'm not thrilled with the idea of locking up players before their free agent year. What if Brown snapped a ligament or tore a tendon and had to miss the season? Would you still want to pay him Top 5 money when he might not take the field all season or come back but not be able to dominate as he did before?

Again, I hope/expect Brown to be okay but I'm just making a point why you don't re-sign players too soon. All you have to do is look at Dunta Robinson or Domanick Davis to understand this point.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Pro Bowler

From the Chronic - Take it for what its worth, as I haven't seen this diagnosed elsewhere. Would assume Kubiak will address after the PM session.

"Injury report
Left tackle Duane Brown became the second front-line Texan to get hurt in training camp. Brown suffered a left high ankle sprain and, although he stayed on the field for two more plays, he was then taken back to the training room for treatment."
Old 08-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
From the Chronic - Take it for what its worth, as I haven't seen this diagnosed elsewhere. Would assume Kubiak will address after the PM session.

"Injury report
Left tackle Duane Brown became the second front-line Texan to get hurt in training camp. Brown suffered a left high ankle sprain and, although he stayed on the field for two more plays, he was then taken back to the training room for treatment."
Good God, I wish we had a credible newpaper......

Texans LT Duane Brown: "Bone bruise. Got pretty lucky. Pretty sore. Nothing major." "Extremely relieved." "Day to day." -- Stephanie Stradley (@StephStradley)
Old 08-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Pro Bowler

JJ Watt's elbow injury is being evaluated, but Gary Kubiak said he thinks Watt will be fine by opening day #Texans -- Nick Scurfield (@NickScurfield)

Brandon Brooks also went out due to heat related issues.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:15 AM
All-Pro

I have my doubts about Brooks. He reminds me of the fat kid that you think would be good if he could only shed 50 pounds but he never does.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:49 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
JJ Watt's elbow injury is being evaluated, but Gary Kubiak said he thinks Watt will be fine by opening day #Texans -- Nick Scurfield (@NickScurfield)

Brandon Brooks also went out due to heat related issues.
I will take the blame for JJ Watt's injury, yesterday I bought my first Texans jersey, #99 JJ Watt. I jinxed him.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:41 PM
All-Pro

I believe I heard it was Brooks Reed who went out due to heat, not Brandon Brooks. Fwiw, its hot out there and need to be careful.

Ok, from TV news, it was Brandon Brooks today, but he is ok.

Last edited by Nconroe; 08-02-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I will take the blame for JJ Watt's injury, yesterday I bought my first Texans jersey, #99 JJ Watt. I jinxed him.
Its all good.

Football: Texans DE J.J. Watt dislocated his elbow today. Texans doctors popped it back in and Watt expected to not miss much time. -- Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)

YOU CAN'T HOLD BACK THE MILKMAN!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 PM
All-Pro

Football players are just tough. If a baseball player had that, he'd be on the DL for a month.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:16 AM
All-Pro

Looks like Texans TC is on NFL TV network this morning.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:49 AM
All-Pro

I was out at the training camp again today. This is my last practice. Talk about a big crowd, not sure of the numbers, but this looked to be the largest crowd yet.

There was a Holiday sighting today. Trindon had two huge kick returns. He has not flashed during team drills but he has been open with the QB not getting him the ball.

A note about all the pass catchers, way to many drops. Normally sure handed guys are dropping balls in their hands. Also Jean is an arm catcher on way to many balls, he does not use his hands enough. Had some issues because of the way he catches.

That said Jean was open on two deep balls today. One was over thrown, and the other Jean made a nice adjustment on to get in front of the two guys covering him to catch the ball and then trot into the end zone.

Posey had a drop on a deep ball today, and he also made a diving catch in the two minute drill that he appeared to hurt himself on. They stopped practice for a minute Kubiak came over, but long story short, it looked like he had just landed funny and had the breath knocked out him.

Yates looked to be throwing fastballs on every pass today and many of the underneath guys had trouble holding on to the throws. Not sure if that was due to the coaches wanting to see the receivers handle heat or not.

I am even more impressed with Grimes after watching him all week. Keep your eyes on him against the Panthers. He should be a PS guy.

For the 2nd practice in a row, Brandon Harris made me notice him. He is having a very good camp. Not push for a starter good, but I am ok with him if some one gets hurt good.

General impressions, our defensive back field is good, in 7 on 7 they dominated, both the ones and the twos were shutting out the WRs. . So that shows depth to me. Kubiak will complain about the WR not being open, like he should, but our DBs are good.

Sorry I did not watch the linemen in one on ones today, I had to good of a seat and their were to many people to try and move about.

Noticed the team rotating a lot of guys in with the ones today. Looking at a lot of combos.

Again this team is loaded.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:03 PM
All-Pro

McClain reports AJ was back at practice today. I doubt he'll be full speed for awhile though. No need to test that groin until it's necessary.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:50 PM
All-Pro

When asked about the combination of Butler and Caldwell after the morning practice, coach Gary Kubiak said, “They’re doing a good job. They’re being pushed really hard. Brooks and Smith are pushing Caldwell. Newton’s pushing the heck out of Butler. It’s going to be a tough call. I couldn’t make that call today.”
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...d-right-guard/
I dunno, should we make anything by Kubiaks comments, especially the "I couldn’t make that call today" re the Butler vs Newton competition at RT ?
And if we are to believe it means the 2nd year guy out of little known Arkansas State is dead even with the vet Butler, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing ?