IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2009, 01:41 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwood View Post
His skill set and technique is less developed than say Cushings or Sintim for that matter.

I think Marcus Freeman, who is a really good cover 2 will, is a good example the mid-rounds.
I'll have to disagree with you again here. Matthews is a better pass-rusher and tackler than either Cushings or Sintim. Both of which will probably be gone by our 2nd round pick.

Freeman can drop in a Zone, but I'd say that Matthews has the better ability of being able to match up in Man-to-Man coverage.

There will be a bit of learning for him at the next level because of the type of Defense he played in at USC. However, most players will go through some type of adjustment. His fundamentals are solid though, so he should not take long to make an impact.

If I didn't know better, I'd say you were from Tampa Bay or New England and was hoping he'd slide down to your slot.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:15 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
How about this for a draft.

1. CB Vontae Davis Illinois
2. SS Chip Vaughn Wake Forest
3. RB Cedric Peerman Virginia
4. FS David Bruton Notre Dame
4. DE Kyle Moore USC
5. LB Scott McKillop Pittsburgh
6. LB Lee Robinson Alcorn State
7. DE Victor Butler Oregon St
Revision #27

1. LB Clay Matthews USC
2. OC Eric Wood Louisville
3. SS Chip Vaughn Wake Forest
4. DE Kyle Moore USC
6. RB Ian Johnson Boise State
7. WR Demetrius Byrd LSU

FAs
RB Javarris Williams Tenn State 5' 9 1/2" 223 4.51
DE Victor Butler Oregon St 6' 2" 248 4.77
DT Myron Pryor Kentucky 6' 0 1/4" 319 5.08
Old 03-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Revision #27

1. LB Clay Matthews USC
2. OC Eric Wood Louisville
3. SS Chip Vaughn Wake Forest
4. DE Kyle Moore USC
6. RB Ian Johnson Boise State
7. WR Demetrius Byrd LSU

FAs
RB Javarris Williams Tenn State 5' 9 1/2" 223 4.51
DE Victor Butler Oregon St 6' 2" 248 4.77
DT Myron Pryor Kentucky 6' 0 1/4" 319 5.08

Aren't you worried about Eric Wood's alligator arms, or do you believe arm lenght is less important in the interior line?
Old 03-22-2009, 03:56 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Aren't you worried about Eric Wood's alligator arms, or do you believe arm lenght is less important in the interior line?
How short are his arms?

Of course, an OT needs to have longer arms than an interior OG or OC, but I don't necessarily want a T-Rex playing OC either.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Regular Starter

Roy, I agree to disagree, and no, I'm not a troll from another team. I'm from Houston, but now reside in Katy.

Anyway, I don't understand how you can say Matthews has better man on man skills than Freeman when he has three times more experience and usually maned the OLB. Lets look at their Soph. and Junior years(2006,2007), for example.

After this I'm finished talking about CM till draft day.

Freeman was already a second year starter in 2007, he was second team all big ten, had 109 TT, 9.5 TFL, and 5 PBU. He started 11 out of 13 games in 2006, had 71 TT, 2.5 TFL, 1 SKS, 2 INT, and 6 PBU, also had 15 TKL in the BCS game that year.

Matthews was a backup linebacker in 2007, he started 2 games, had 17 TT , 3 TFL, 1 PBU. He was also a special teams player and had 2 FF and 2 BLK to his credit. In 2006 he had 15 TT and 1.5 TFL.

I don't know where his cover skills are gonna come from or how he's gonna be better than Freemans without real game experience. Freeman covered receivers and TE's frequently in the Texas vs OSU game, and did it well, check out youtube. Granted they both had good senior years, but Freeman is the more experienced and polished OLB43 at this point, IMO.

Also, OSU's pro day was the 17th, and he ran a 4.51 and 4.52 forty, 4.08 short shuttle, and a 6.66 three cone, surpassing all of Matthews times, and also Aaron Curry.

On a side note, I was thinking our rush defense was pretty pathetic last year, so here's my new mock emphasizing better rush protection:

1)Peria Jerry DT Ole Miss
2)Marcus Freeman OLB OSU
3)Andre Brown RB N.C. St.
4)Jason Williams OLB W. Ill.
4)Stryker Sulak DE Mizzou
5)Courtney Greene FS Rutgers
6)Sammie Lee Hill DT Stillman
7)D.J. Clark CB Idaho St
Old 03-22-2009, 06:26 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Roy, I agree to disagree.

After this I'm finished talking about CM till draft day.

Also, OSU's pro day was the 17th, and he ran a 4.51 and 4.52 forty, 4.08 short shuttle, and a 6.66 three cone, surpassing all of Matthews times, and also Aaron Curry.
ok.

Me too.

This is why I only compare times at the Combine when everyone has had the same amount of time to prepare for the same conditions on the same turf.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:17 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
AHH, no, His skill set can be found in the middle rounds because his technique is not developed for an OLB in a 4-3. He's better, and has played mostly DE or OLB in a 3-4. His skill set and technique is less developed than say Cushings or Sintim for that matter.

I never said anything about his athleticism. Just because you have a test well at the combine doesn't mean you're a great football player. We've all seen that before.

I think Marcus Freeman, who is a really good cover 2 will, is a good example the mid-rounds.

And he played safety in HS. The kid is versatile and willing to work hard, also he chasing a ghost and he seems to willing to catch'em.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:41 PM
All-Pro

Now that I've updated my draft board once again, I ran it against the DraftTek mock.

15. WR Jeremy Maclin Missouri
46. FS William Moore Missouri
77. SS Chip Vaughn Wake Forest
112. CB Keenan Lewis Oregon St
122. LB Scott McKillop Pittsburgh
152. RB Javarris Williams Tenn State (I seriously considerd JP Wilson)
188. RB Ian Johnson Boise State
223. DT Roy Miller Texas (I thought about Victor Butler)

McKillop played MLB in college, but I think he'd be able to play SAM and be a HUGE contributor on Special Teams. Javarris Williams is my sleeper Big Back.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:48 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Now that I've updated my draft board once again, I ran it against the DraftTek mock.

15. WR Jeremy Maclin Missouri
46. FS William Moore Missouri
77. SS Chip Vaughn Wake Forest
112. CB Keenan Lewis Oregon St
122. LB Scott McKillop Pittsburgh
152. RB Javarris Williams Tenn State (I seriously considerd JP Wilson)
188. RB Ian Johnson Boise State
223. DT Roy Miller Texas (I thought about Victor Butler)

McKillop played MLB in college, but I think he'd be able to play SAM and be a HUGE contributor on Special Teams. Javarris Williams is my sleeper Big Back.

I think it's time to book this draft. Roy, I could live with this one. But our friends will all complain because you did not draft a DE.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:06 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I think it's time to book this draft. Roy, I could live with this one. But our friends will all complain because you did not draft a DE.
or a C/G?

One of my predominate goals this off-season is for Kasey Studdard to not make this year's team. And, unfortunately, that draft isn't going to get it done.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:36 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
or a C/G?

One of my predominate goals this off-season is for Kasey Studdard to not make this year's team. And, unfortunately, that draft isn't going to get it done.
dale, he is going to make this team even if we spend a 1st rounder on OG, you haven't figured that out yet?

In the one on one drill at the open practices Studdard had his ass handed to him on a constant basis, yet Frye, who looked better to me, was let go. Studdard has photos of Kubiak somewhere, otherwise it makes no sense.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
dale, he is going to make this team even if we spend a 1st rounder on OG, you haven't figured that out yet?

In the one on one drill at the open practices Studdard had his ass handed to him on a constant basis, yet Frye, who looked better to me, was let go. Studdard has photos of Kubiak somewhere, otherwise it makes no sense.
I think letting Brandon Frye go last season is the biggest off-field mistake the organization has made since early 2006. I'm still pissed about it. Why on earth these guys can't tell that Studdard has no business playing professional football, I have no idea. I would love to sit down with Kubiak and watch the Cowboy preseason game from last season on the coaches tape while he explains Studdard's play each snap. That would make for some interesting conversation!

Do you remember the Arnold Schwartzenegger movie with Danny Devito? Twins! Anyway, I like to refer to Studdard as Vince Young's twin... you know, the leftover DNA kind of accidently formed a blob of crap after producing Vince Young. That's why those two guys are so chummy. They're related!
Old 03-30-2009, 06:11 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
If we traded down and got an extra 3rd and 4th round pick, I could draft Bruton to play FS, get Wood in the 2nd round, and get a DE in the 3rd like Sidbury or Cody Brown.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:24 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
If we traded down and got an extra 3rd and 4th round pick, I could draft Bruton to play FS, get Wood in the 2nd round, and get a DE in the 3rd like Sidbury or Cody Brown.
I've got a feeling Sidbury is going a lot earlier than most people think. Casserly said a scout is calling him a late 1 to mid 2nd type player. Maybe that scout was really his agent, but he has made a name for himself since they misspelled his name at the Shriners game.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I've got a feeling Sidbury is going a lot earlier than most people think.

he has made a name for himself since they misspelled his name at the Shriners game.
Damn it! I wanted Sidbuby in the 3rd!
Old 03-31-2009, 09:31 AM
Regular Starter

Okay, here's my first stab at things playing around with two early trade downs. I didn't get too specific with my trades, so here are two approximated trades:
1. 15 - 26, 57
2. 26- 37, 68

so, here you go:

37. Larry English
46. Eric Wood
57. W. Moore
68. Shonn Greene
77. Ellerbe
112. Bruton
122. Terrence Taylor
148. J. Knox
185. Javaris Williams
226. PJ Hill

thoughts?

as for me, it seems clear that we really need to work hard to trade down into those middle rounds. I don't have the chart in front of me, but I'm pretty sure those values are quite attainable.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:13 PM
All-Pro

Quote:

1. 15 - 26, 57
2. 26- 37, 68

so, here you go:

37. Larry English
46. Eric Wood
57. W. Moore
68. Shonn Greene
77. Ellerbe
112. Bruton
122. Terrence Taylor
148. J. Knox
185. Javaris Williams
226. PJ Hill

thoughts?
15 for 26 & 57 makes us short 20 points, so maybe we get an extra 6th rounder (185 for example). Is that your Javarris Williams pick? We already have #188.

26 for 37 & 68 is 80 points to valuable, so we'd have to give up #112 (70 points) to make it comparable.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:07 AM
Regular Starter

Here's a mock with only one trade: 15 to Phillie for 28 and 53.

28. Clint Sintim
46. Sean Smith
53. Eric Wood
77. Shonn Greene
112. David Bruton
122. Terrence Taylor
5th. Javaris Williams
6th. Quann Cosby
7th. Lydon Murtha

I really love this one. But, I'm skeptical about Sean Smith lasting that late after his pro day results and certainly I've been skeptical about Shonn Greene last into the third round. Thoughts?
Old 04-03-2009, 06:18 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Here's a mock with only one trade: 15 to Phillie for 28 and 53.

28. Clint Sintim
46. Sean Smith
53. Eric Wood
77. Shonn Greene
112. David Bruton
122. Terrence Taylor
5th. Javaris Williams
6th. Quann Cosby
7th. Lydon Murtha

I really love this one. But, I'm skeptical about Sean Smith lasting that late after his pro day results and certainly I've been skeptical about Shonn Greene last into the third round. Thoughts?
I like the players but I think its even more unlikely that Wood is still available in the middle of the third round than Smith in the second.
Re Smith, yea Utah doesn't have that same ring to it as "The Ohio state" university when it comes to football pedigree, but the reality is Smith is very comparable to Malcolm Jenkins but even bigger.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Regular Starter

Sintim played for Virginia right...since there's a law that we take at least one Virginia player every year I've been thinking that we somehow end up with him. SLB/RDE type right?