IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2015, 06:00 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
@PatDStat: Brett Hundley in Houston to meet with the #Texans in pre-draft visit. http://t.co/OQn4aOH0Kv #NFL #UCLA
I don't want to add another QB with a high draft pick until we're ready to say if Mallett is/isn't the guy but Hundley is probably closest out of this year's QBs to what O'Brien probably wants.

I just see all sorts of problems if they take him. You basically undermine Mallett, you almost guarantee Hundley will take away from Mallett's development time and makes the 4th we spent on Savage a complete waste.

Unless this is a smokescreen, I don't think they've thought this through. The QB I watched at UCLA is not NFL ready but you'll almost have to draft him in the 2nd if you're going to take him which means you'll have to play him eventually.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:18 PM
All-Pro

If they use a 3rd round pick or higher on a QB, I hope that they go with Petty over Hundley.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:18 AM
All-Pro

Default 04-07 Fanspeak Board Mock

The Texans traded down with the Detroit Lions (who took Alvin Dupree) and somehow everyone left this for us:

1-23 (from DET) Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson

can't pass this up. Made my usual 3-for-1 trade to get an extra third-rounder and wound up with this for the rest:

2-19 Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson
2-22 (from DET) Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesota
3-18 Sammie Coates, WR, Auburn
3-32 (from NE) Reese Dismukes, C, Auburn
5-39 (comp) Antwan Goodley, WR, Baylor
6-19 Miles Dieffenbach, G, Penn St
6-35 (comp) Damian Swann, CB, Georgia
6-40 (comp) Deion Barnes, DE, Penn St

This would be practically a dream draft for me. This won't really happen.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:52 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
The Texans traded down with the Detroit Lions (who took Alvin Dupree) and somehow everyone left this for us:

1-23 (from DET) Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson

can't pass this up. Made my usual 3-for-1 trade to get an extra third-rounder and wound up with this for the rest:

2-19 Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson
2-22 (from DET) Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesota
3-18 Sammie Coates, WR, Auburn
3-32 (from NE) Reese Dismukes, C, Auburn
5-39 (comp) Antwan Goodley, WR, Baylor
6-19 Miles Dieffenbach, G, Penn St
6-35 (comp) Damian Swann, CB, Georgia
6-40 (comp) Deion Barnes, DE, Penn St

This would be practically a dream draft for me. This won't really happen.
I love these trades. Decided to give it a shot myself, since I couldn't fathom Vic Beasley not being a top 10 pick. This is what I came away with:

1-23 OLB Vic Beasley
2-19 ILB Stephone Anthony
2-22 DE Henry Anderson
3-18 WR Phillip Dorsett
3-32 S/CB Eric Rowe
5-39 FB Tyler Varga
6-19 NT Derrick Lott
6-35 CB Justin Coleman
6-40 WR Antwan Goodley

I would be ecstatic with this draft.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:10 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
If they use a 3rd round pick or higher on a QB, I hope that they go with Petty over Hundley.
I have no idea how long it would take for Petty to get the "system" down and actually be able to play. Apparently, Tom Savage did not progress as much as I would have liked or there wouldn't have been the need to sign Mallett and Hoyer this off-season, so perhaps getting a Rookie QB for this team just doesn't make sense. There is so much progress that needs to occur. However, this guy has great 'arm-talent' and I really like him and wouldn't be upset if we selected him (hopefully, the 4th, but possibly the 2nd round).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEA9dsqDMI8
Old 04-08-2015, 10:53 AM
All-Pro

Another day. ..another mock :
#16 OLB Bud Dupree
#51 WR Breshad Perriman
#82 WR Phillip Dorsett
#116 QB Bryce Petty
#152 FS James Sample
#175 FB Tyler Varga
#195 ILB Bryce Hager
#211 TE Wes Saxton
#216 CB Justin Coleman
#235 OT Andrew Donnal

Wanted to take a look at what happens if I take my 2 WRs in the 2nd & 3rd round followed by Petty in the 4th. Jesse James was off the board at #129. Also my ILB prospects, Jake Ryan (123), Taiwan Jones (130), and Jordan Hicks (147) were off the board before my 5th round pick. Luckily, I was able to fill those needs with Bryce Hager and Wes Saxton. On the flip side, if I had drafted WR later; I could draft Petty in the 3rd round and select Jesse James in the 4th rounds to ensure I get my "QB of the future" and my Gronkowski - prototype. If I had selected ILB Bernardick McKinney at #51, then I would have selected WR Chris Conley at #152. Also, if I passed on Dorsett to fetch Petty in the 3rd, I would probably choose WR Antwan Goodley at #195. Craig Mager replaces James Sample and Zach Zenner replaced Tyler Varga.

#16 Bud Dupree
#51 Bernardick McKinney
#82 Bryce Petty
#116 Jesse James
#152 Chris Conley
#175 Craig Mager
#195 Antwan Goodley
#211 Zach Zenner

I'm wondering if Perriman, Dorsett, Saxton > Conley, Goodley, James
Old 04-08-2015, 11:38 AM
Pro Bowler

I like the 2nd one better, although, I'd gamble that James (or another TE) will be there later and I'd take a RB in his place in RD4.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:58 PM
All-Pro

As long as take best available more or less consensus at each pick I will be ok.

I like the mocks to show name, position, height, weight, age , school
Old 04-08-2015, 07:19 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
I like the 2nd one better, although, I'd gamble that James (or another TE) will be there later and I'd take a RB in his place in RD4.
To be honest, I'm not sure Jesse James lasts that long. He has the Gronkowski role in the bag. But, for the sake of this conversation, the next 2 RBs drafted in the 4th round of this mock draft was Javorious "Buck" Allen (USC) & Matt Jones (Florida).
Old 04-09-2015, 09:38 AM
All-Pro

Default Just Ignore Those Red Flags...

This Fanspeak draft, I could not get any trade action going. At #16, I had a choice of Malcom Brown, Bud Dupree or Randy Gregory (or Jaelen Strong) and went with the immensely talented and rather stupid Randy Gregory as an OLB.

In the second, the best player on the board was another guy I'd expect the Texans to pass on - Dorial Green-Beckham.

In the 3rd, Maxx Williams was still there. In the 4th, Hroniss Grasu. Check and check. If I wanted to build an All- Bad Boy draft, P.J. Williams was still there in the 3rd.

In the 5th, I took CB Charles Gaines and WR Antwan Goodley. No problems there.

In the 6th, I took Miles Dieffenbach, James Castleman and Malcolm Brown (the RB) as roster depth.

In the 7th, I took A.J. Johnson, ILB from Tennessee with 2nd-round talent. One slight problem - he's been indicted on rape charges. But, if he's found not guilty, you have a late round steal.

Hey, if we're going to be like the Patriots...
Old 04-09-2015, 11:22 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
went with the immensely talented and rather stupid Randy Gregory as an OLB.

I'd expect the Texans to pass on - Dorial Green-Beckham.

If I wanted to build an All- Bad Boy draft, P.J. Williams was still there in the 3rd.

One slight problem - he's been indicted on rape charges. But, if he's found not guilty, you have a late round steal.

Hey, if we're going to be like the Patriots...
This was both sad and funny. I'm afraid of Gregory hanging out with Clowney and Swearinger. Pot & Pit Bulls don't mix.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:30 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
This was both sad and funny. I'm afraid of Gregory hanging out with Clowney and Swearinger. Pot & Pit Bulls don't mix.
I'm seeing several different possible names being floated for #16 right now. Cameron Erving (C-G, Florida St.), Randy Gregory (OLB, Nebraska), Shane Ray (OLB, Missouri), Malcom Brown (DL, Texas), La'el Collins (OT, LSU). Some mocks have them all falling to us. Although I'm still locked into the best WR left on the board, I could live with any of them which is why I'd love to see the Texans trade down another 5-7 spots and hopefully pick up a second in the trade-down.

Particularly if there are 2 of the 4 top receivers left, I think we could still get one after the trade down (if one of the receivers is White or Cooper, unlikely as that is, then I'd stay put and just take one of them).
Old 04-10-2015, 08:24 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm seeing several different possible names being floated for #16 right now. Cameron Erving (C-G, Florida St.), Randy Gregory (OLB, Nebraska), Shane Ray (OLB, Missouri), Malcom Brown (DL, Texas), La'el Collins (OT, LSU). Some mocks have them all falling to us. Although I'm still locked into the best WR left on the board, I could live with any of them which is why I'd love to see the Texans trade down another 5-7 spots and hopefully pick up a second in the trade-down.

Particularly if there are 2 of the 4 top receivers left, I think we could still get one after the trade down (if one of the receivers is White or Cooper, unlikely as that is, then I'd stay put and just take one of them).
Cam Erving is a guy I hope falls to the Colts, but I doubt he drops that far. Gregory isn't a possibility b/c this owner won't sign off on a player who failed his piss test at the Combine as a first round pick, I hope. (Disregarding Cushing). I feel Ray and Collins are off the board when the Texans draft. Malcolm Brown is the best player I honestly believe could be available, and I would take him. The pundits love Shelton, but I think Brown is the cream of this crop. He is a mixture of Suh and McCoy in my opinion.

This WR class has depth. I am hesitant to draft any WR at where we are not named Cooper, White, or Parker. I love Dorsett, but am considering Conley from Georgia and Goodley from Baylor that I am debating taking a different position early in the draft.

If we select Strong or Eli Harold without trading down, then we are "reaching" to fill a need.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:18 AM
All-Pro

Default 4-11 Fanspeak Mock CBS Sports Big Board

1) Traded 1-16 to Detroit for 1-23 and 2-22.
2) Traded 4th, 5th and 6th to Green Bay for 3-30.
3) Indy offers a 2-29, a 4th and a 5th for 2-22. I swallow then take it.

At 1-23, Jaelen Strong is not there but DeVante Parker is. Here's the list:

23 - R1P23 (from DET) WR DEVANTE PARKER LOUISVILLE
51 - R2P19 TE MAXX WILLIAMS MINNESOTA
61 - R2P29 (from IND) C HRONISS GRASU OREGON
82 - R3P18 OLB LORENZO MAULDIN LOUISVILLE
94 - R3P30 (from GB) CB RONALD DARBY FLORIDA STATE
128 - R4P29 (from IND) CB-FS ERIC ROWE UTAH
165 - R5P29 (from IND) ILB HAYES PULLARD SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
175 - R5P39 (comp) DT DERRICK LOTT CHATTANOOGA
211 - R6P35 (comp) WR-KR ANTWAN GOODLEY BAYLOR
216 - R6P40 (comp) G MILES DIEFFENBACH PENN STATE
235 - R7P18 RB TREY WILLIAMS TEXAS A&M
Old 04-11-2015, 03:08 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Gregory isn't a possibility b/c this owner won't sign off on a player who failed his piss test at the Combine as a first round pick, I hope. (Disregarding Cushing).
I don't remember Cushing failing a test before the draft, I could be forgetting something, but I do remember the owner signing off on Amobi Okoye, who IIRC failed the drug test at the combine. So one time fails get a pass, repeatedly failing test, they get removed from the board.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:43 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I don't remember Cushing failing a test before the draft, I could be forgetting something, but I do remember the owner signing off on Amobi Okoye, who IIRC failed the drug test at the combine. So one time fails get a pass, repeatedly failing test, they get removed from the board.
IIRC, Cushing had steroid allegations before the draft. I don't recall anything else.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:00 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
IIRC, Cushing had steroid allegations before the draft. I don't recall anything else.
Allegations, but never a confirmed failed test IIRC. Big difference IMO.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:25 PM
All-Pro

When Cushing was suspended for Performance Enhancing violation, it was my understanding that it wasn't the first offense. He was already on double - secret probation. I surmised that his first violation was at the Combine.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:37 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
2) Traded 4th, 5th and 6th to Green Bay for 3-30.
3) Indy offers a 2-29, a 4th and a 5th for 2-22. I swallow then take it.

At 1-23, Jaelen Strong is not there but DeVante Parker is. Here's the list:

23 - R1P23 (from DET) WR DEVANTE PARKER LOUISVILLE
128 - R4P29 (from IND) CB-FS ERIC ROWE UTAH
175 - R5P39 (comp) DT DERRICK LOTT CHATTANOOGA
211 - R6P35 (comp) WR-KR ANTWAN GOODLEY BAYLOR
Wow! Strong is off the board but Parker is available at #23. I have a very hard time buying that scenario. Big fan of Rowe, Lott, and Goodley by the way.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:17 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
2) Traded 4th, 5th and 6th to Green Bay for 3-30.&M
I hate trading up in the draft, but if I were giving up my 4th, 5th and 6th to get back into the 3rd round at 3-30 it would only be to select Bryce Petty.