IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2008, 12:49 AM
All-Pro

Default Mock Drafts

I am so tired of mock draft, bring on the real deal. BTW what is up with the late start, they should have started earlier and handled the 1st 3 rounds.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:23 AM
All-Pro

What I hope happens if we do not add picks:
18- Chris Williams OT, Vandy
79 - Matt Forte, RB, Tulane
118 - Orlando Scandrick, CB, Boise State
151 - Ezra Butler, OLB, Nevada
223 - Jalen Parmale (RB)-Toledo

What I think will happen, if we do not add picks
18 - Jerod Mayo (LB) Tennessee
79 - Duane Brown (OT)-Va. Tech
118 - Jason Jones (DE)-Eastern Michigan
151 - Zackary Bowman (CB)-Nebraska
223 - Chauncey Washington (RB)-USC

There are so many ways ways this draft can go and most of it happens on Sunday.....
Old 04-25-2008, 01:28 AM
Regular Starter

With the exception of the first round choice I liked the "predicted" draft a whole lot more than the hoped for draft.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:12 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post

18 - CB Antoine Cason - Arizona 6'0" 190
79 - DE Jeremy Thompson - Wake Forest 6' 4 3/8" 264
118 - OT Carl Nicks - Nebraska 6' 5" 341
151 - RB Thomas Brown - Georgia 5' 8 3/8" 204
223 - LB Ben Moffitt S. Florida 6' 1" 234

18 - LB Jerod Mayo - Tennessee 6' 1" 242
79 - OT Jeremy Zuttah - Rutgers 6' 4" 303
118 - S Quentin Demps - UTEP 6'0" 206
151 - DE Chris Harrington Texas A&M 6'5" 264
223 - CB Darnell Terrell Missouri 6'2" 203
Old 04-28-2008, 12:35 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post

There are so many ways ways this draft can go and most of it happens on Sunday.....
How did I do with regard to players ranking?

18 - Mayo went 10th and Williams went 14th, so I was wishful thinking with my picks.
79 - Brown went to us @ 26, Forte went 44th, again wishful thinking, but at least I wanted Brown to be the OLT we drafted
118 - J.Jones was long gone taken 54th by the Titans, Scandrick was taken at 143 which is before our next pick.
151 - Bowman was taken 142 again with acceptable range (acceptable to me). Butler went undrafted, whiff.
223 - Parmala went 176, Washington not until 213.

So as i have said before, what do I know? Not much
Old 04-28-2008, 10:21 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post

18 - CB Antoine Cason - Arizona 6'0" 190
79 - DE Jeremy Thompson - Wake Forest 6' 4 3/8" 264
118 - OT Carl Nicks - Nebraska 6' 5" 341
151 - RB Thomas Brown - Georgia 5' 8 3/8" 204
223 - LB Ben Moffitt S. Florida 6' 1" 234

18 - LB Jerod Mayo - Tennessee 6' 1" 242
79 - OT Jeremy Zuttah - Rutgers 6' 4" 303
118 - S Quentin Demps - UTEP 6'0" 206
151 - DE Chris Harrington Texas A&M 6'5" 264
223 - CB Darnell Terrell Missouri 6'2" 203
26 - Cason
102 - Thompson
164 - Nicks
172 - Brown
Undrafted - Moffitt

10 - Mayo
83 - Zuttah
117 - Demps (so we would have just missed on him)
185 - Harrington
Undrafted - Terrell

The Cason/Zuttah combo is going to be intriguing.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Veteran Depth

What I would have done:
26 - LT Duane Brown (Would've come down to Brown or Phillips, very tough choice but I went with the harder position to fill. Besides, considering how much I advocate building from the trenches out it would have been a bit irresponsible to choose a S over LT if the choice was close. If I'd have been in the room when we were at 18 I would have wept over the 11-16 sequence, briefly considered Mendenhall, then tried desperately to trade down. If I didn't get any offers I would have taken the national scorn and picked Brown, with the hope that more people would focus on the Cherilus pick at 17.)

79 - WR Early Doucet (Not really an area of need, but I think Doucet and Slaton were the best two players on the board. Of course, I would have also probably ended up regretting not making a stronger attempt to improve our secondary. If I didn't take Duane Brown, I would have gone with Anthony Collins for one of the third round picks, which would prove to be a reach of nearly a round, but he's the only player left by this point that I think could become a successful OT.)

83 - RB Steve Slaton (I think that, in a few years, we're going to be very, very happy with this pick.)

118 - OLB Xavier Adibi (Once again the Texans pick stands out as the clear pick for me. Would have also considered CB Zack Bowman, who was a top prospect before a pre-season injury)

151 - DT Frank Okam (If we needed a FB, the pick would have been Owen Schmitt, hands-down. But with the unlikelihood of carrying two FBs and a glut of RBs overall, I think I'd pass for this round. With that ruled out, it'd have been down to DT Frank Okam and C Steve Justice. With Chris Myers acquired and Greg Eslinger on the roster, I'd have likely chosen Okam for DL depth and the outside hope that once he was out of school and focused more on football he might actually play up to his talent.)

173 - C Steve Justice (And I do a little dance. If I'd have taken Justice in the 5th, I'm not sure where I'd have gone here. Maybe Donald Thomas, because he fits our profile, but I'm not terribly sure about him. Then again, this is the 6th round.)

223 - T King Dunlap (Other considerations: OLB Erin Henderson, RBs Justin Forsett and Allen Patrick)

The biggest problem with my draft is that there are several unadressed glaring needs. The secondary needs as much help as any unit, yet I didn't draft a single player for it after strongly considering Kenny Phillips in the first. Much like the Texans real draft (which my draft obviously bears more than a striking resemblance to), my draft also ignores the need for a speed rusher opposite Mario. But you can't address everything and after the early picks I tend to slide the "need" priority down, as evidenced by grabbing a C and another T in the the last two rounds because I felt they were the two best players for us.

Last edited by dadmg; 04-29-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:35 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadmg View Post
What I would have done = Cherry picking
26 - CB Antoine Cason
79 - OT Jeremy Zuttah
89 - DE Jeremy Thompson
118 - RB Tashard Choice
151 - OT Carl Nicks (I can play Zuttah at RG)
173 - DT Athyba Rubin (since we wanted a run plugger)
223 - QB Paul Smith (since we wanted a QB)
UDFA - LB Moffitt and Woodyard
Old 04-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Drafted Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
26 - CB Antoine Cason
79 - OT Jeremy Zuttah
89 - DE Jeremy Thompson
118 - RB Tashard Choice
151 - OT Carl Nicks (I can play Zuttah at RG)
173 - DT Athyba Rubin (since we wanted a run plugger)
223 - QB Paul Smith (since we wanted a QB)
UDFA - LB Moffitt and Woodyard
Is this from your pre-draft board?
Old 04-30-2008, 12:25 AM
All-Pro

My cherry pick?

26 - Duane Brown OT,Sr Va. Tech
79 - Jeremy Zuttah G Sr Rutgers
89 - Philip Wheeler LB Sr Georgia Tech
118 - Jack Williams CB Sr Kent State
151 - Trae Williams CB Sr South Florida
173 - Jalen Parmele RB Sr Toledo
223 - Anthony Alderidge RB Sr Houston
UDFA - LB Moffitt and Woodyard, DE Tommy Blake
Old 04-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Regular Starter

what i would have done:

sat on my couch, drank a nice cold beer, and hope the texans make the right picks in the draft . . .oh, wait
Old 04-30-2008, 07:29 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickO View Post
Is this from your pre-draft board?
Not really. Cason, yes. I realized that Nicks would fall due to off-field issues, I just didn't think he'd drop that far. I wanted Thompson in the 3rd, simply because I didn't see him being there for us in the 4th, so I would have "reached" in that instance. I wanted a RB and Choice was the best who could potentially be a "3-down" RB and I wasn't sure if Thomas Brown would slide to us later in the 6th (he went right before us). Rubin and Smith were not on my board, but if I were to follow what the Texans wanted, then those two guys seem to be better value here.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:32 AM
All-Pro

Time to add a few more mocks.

This one from NFL draft dog has us picking 20th and taking my preference William Moore from Mizzou.
Quote:
1. Detroit Matt Stafford, (JR) QB Georgia
2008 NFL Draft Pick: RT Gosder Cherilus, Boston College
If 2007 NFL Draft pick Drew Stanton doesn't work out the Lions might take another QB. If Stafford improves his accuracy he might enter the draft early and if another junior, Florida 's Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow keeps improving his accuracy he could also be in the mix.

2. Atlanta Michael Crabtree (Soph) WR Texas Tech
2008 NFL Draft Pick: QB Matt Ryan, Boston College
The top receiver in the nation is a draft eligible sophomore. He is even good enough to be the first over all pick. Crabtree will give new QB Matt Ryan a big, fast target.

3. Miami James Laurinaitis LB Ohio State
2008 NFL Draft Pick: OT Jake Long, Michigan
Bill Parcells loves linebackers and he will be quick to select Laurinaitis if this is how the 2009 NFL Draft plays out. He might have been the first linebacker selected in the 2008 NFL Draft if he would have declared early.

4. Oakland Michael Oher OT Ole Miss
2008 NFL Draft Pick: RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas
Oher almost declared for the 2008 NFL Draft where he would have likely been a first round round pick. Oher plays with a mean streak and has nice size at 6' 6" 325 pounds.

5. Cincinnati George Selvie (JR) DE South Florida
2008 NFL Draft Pick: LB Keith Rivers
Selvie is a pass rushing terror, in 2007 Selvie led the nation in tackles for loss with an amazing 31.5 and an additional 14.5 sacks.

6. St. Louis Rey Maualuga LB USC
2008 NFL Draft Pick: DE Chris Long, Virginia
A massive (6' 3" 250 lbs) run plugging inside linebacker with supreme speed and the Rams need some attitude on defense. Rey might have been a top ten pick if he would have entered the 2008 NFL Draft.

7. Baltimore Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
2008 NFL Draft Pick: QB Joe Flacco, Deleware
I was surprised Jenkins didn't enter the 2008 NFL Draft, where he would have been a top 20 selection. Jenkins is the top rated cornerback entering the 2008 season.

8. San Francisco Percy Harvin (JR) WR Florida
2008 NFL Draft Pick: DT Kentwan Balmer, N. Carolina
Not huge at 5' 11" 184 pounds, but Harvin is a super talent and put up huge numbers in 2007 where he ran for 764 yards and six touchdowns and also caught 59 passes for 858 yards and four scores. He had heel surgery in April 2008, but should be ready to play by the summer. A big play threat for the 49ers.

9. Chicago Curtis Painter QB Purdue
2008 NFL Draft Pick: OT Chris Williams, Vanderbilt
Painter is an unknown, but the 6' 3" 224 pound quarterback has legitimate NFL potential. The Bears haven't drafted a quarterback since 2005, when they drafted Kyle Orton in the 4th round. QBs Hunter Cantwell from Louisville and Todd Boeckman from Ohio State are a couple other QBs that could play their way into the first round.

10. Kansas City Greg Hardy (JR) DE Mississippi
2008 NFL Draft Pick: DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU/ OT Branden Albert, Virginia
Hardy could give the Chiefs the pass rusher they need since the trade of Jared Allen. Hardy is only a junior, but he is a very athletic football/basketball player with nice size, (6' 5" 255 lbs). Exploded onto the scene in 2007 as a sophomore, where he finished with an amazing 10 sacks and 18.5 tackles for loss.

11. NY Jets Tyson Jackson DE LSU
2008 NFL Draft Pick: DE Vernon Gholston, Ohio State
Jackson was not impressive in 2007, but he has the size (6' 4" 290 lbs) and athletic ability to rebound in 2008. He finished 2007 with only 3.5 sacks and 4.5 tackles for loss. He was smart to return for his senior year.

12. Philadelphia (from Panthers) Brian Cushing LB USC
2008 NFL Draft Pick (2nd round): WR Jackson, DeSean, California
The Eagles get a potential pro bowl linebacker with nice size (6' 3" 245 lbs). He fought injuries last year, but as a soph recorded 57 tackles and 13.5 tackles for loss.

13. New Orleans Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech
2008 NFL Draft Pick: DT Sedrick Ellis, USC
Not huge at 6' 6" 255 pounds, but he is very explosive coming off the edge. Almost entered the 2008 NFL Draft where he was graded as a 3rd rounder despite missing most of the season with injuries.

14. Denver Brandon Spikes (JR) LB Florida
2008 NFL Draft Pick: OT Ryan Clady, Boise State
Hits like a ton of bricks and has nice size at 6' 3" 240 lbs. Spikes recorded 16 tackles for loss and 7 pass break-ups in 2007.

15. Philadelphia Greg Middleton (JR) DE Indiana
Middleton at 6' 3" 270 lbs led the nation in sacks in 2007 with 16. He also recorded 17 tackles for loss and 50 tackles. He is a playmaker.

16. Arizona George (Duke) Robinson OG Oklahoma
2008 NFL Draft Pick: CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State
A massive guard that could replace Leonard Davis and finally give the Cardinals a running game. Robinson is light on his feet and massive at 6' 4" 330 pounds.

17. Washington Victor Harris DB Virginia Tech
2008 NFL Draft Pick (2nd round): WR Thomas, Devin, Michigan State
Harris can play corner or safety and at 6' 0" 208 pounds, has excellent ball skills.

18. Minnesota Darrius Heyward-Bey (JR) WR Maryland
2008 NFL Draft Pick: S Johnson, Tyrell, Arkansas State
WR Troy Williamson, the seventh pick in the 2005 draft, has been traded to the Jaguars, so the need at receiver in Minnesota is great.

19. Green Bay Alex Boone OT Ohio State
2008 NFL Draft: WR Jordy Nelson, Kansas State
Many thought Boone and Laurinaitis would enter the 2008 NFL Draft. Boone (6' 7" 325 lbs) is an excellent prospect and grades out favorably to Jake Long, who was drafted number one over-all in the 2008 NFL Draft.

20. Houston William Moore FS Missouri
2008 NFL Draft Pick: OT Duane Brown, Virginia Tech
Moore is the epitome of a ball hawk, recording 8 interceptions in 2007 which was tops in the country. He is also a big time hitter with nice size at 6' 1" 215 lbs.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:57 AM
All-Pro

Also I have been quoting a 3 rounder from WalterFootball and hope you go look at the mock yourselves.

They have us picking 17th, one after the Titans BTW, and taking
Quote:
17. Houston Texans: Taylor Mays, SS, USC
Basically the Best Player Available formula for a team hurting for defense. It's not like strong safety isn't a need, anyway. Taylor Mays is an amazing athlete who, despite weighing 225 pounds, runs a 4.4 40.

#49 Houston Texans: James Davis, RB, Clemson
I don't expect Ahman Green and Chris Brown to be around once this actual draft takes place. Steve Slaton is a nice scat back to have, but he definitely can't carry the load. James Davis would be a nice complement to Slaton.

#81 Houston Texans: Nic Harris, SS, Oklahoma
When have the Texans not needed secondary help? Here's to another year of playing fantasy receivers against Houston.
My cherry pick: @ 17 I take William Moore who they have going #27, or Myron Rolle, SS/FS, Florida State who they have going #21, also it I have to look hard at Brian Cushing, OLB, USC.

@49 I don't dislike the James Davis pick, but I might have to look hard at Greg Middleton, DE, Indiana who they have going #53, or
Tim Jamison, DE, Michigan who they have going #60

@ 81 Again I would not complain about Harris, might look hard at Bear Pascoe, TE, Fresno State, at some point Bruener has to retire and Pascoe is a stud, added to Daniels and Dreessen that is a nice young core of TEs.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:07 AM
All-Pro

Just to show how much opinion varies about the players and the way the teams stack up ranking wise here is the mock from Rivals.com

They have us picking 14th one before the Titans, taking Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR Maryland*. Funny thing is they never mention a need for WR on our team. They have the Titans taking Greg Middleton, DE, Indiana* who in the Walters mock was a 2nd rounder, this ranking my be closer to his true draft position.

They do not have William Moore as a 1st rounder.

Time will tell where these guys truly are ranked.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Regular Starter

i've read up a bit on william moore, he sounds like the real deal at safety. certainly wouldn't mind adding a power like that to be the cherry on top of our defense.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:52 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
i've read up a bit on william moore, he sounds like the real deal at safety. certainly wouldn't mind adding a power like that to be the cherry on top of our defense.
Did you see the video?
William Moore

For equal time
Taylor Mays

And just to twist the LB knife a little
Rey Maualuga
Old 07-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Regular Starter

yes, no and damn.

i would take rey rey in a heart beat, that dude is intensity in ten cities!!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:17 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
yes, no and damn.

i would take rey rey in a heart beat, that dude is intensity in ten cities!!
A couple of notes on Rey Rey, first he should be a top 10 pick if not a top 5 pick, at least that is how it's seems to be shaking out. 2nd most of the hits in the video would be fines in the NFL, he seems to come in a little high and lead with his helmet, no no's in the pros.

But as you said what a stud.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Regular Starter

yea, i'm guessing we don't fall flat on our faces so he's probably out of the question unless we start trying to trade up for him...but if you have a guy that big and fast who is willing to lay it out like that, i'm betting you can teach him how to do it without incurring the penalties and fines he no doubt would get for a few of those helmet to helmet hits.

i realize it's way to early, but the seedling of hope has been planted that won't be seen until about february. the hope is that a legit safety talent falls into our laps around the early 20's area....i guess that would be 2 hopes if i go back too much...one for a safety and one for playoffs to get into that spot hahaha....