IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: You're On The Clock. Who've You Got?
Mark Barron, SS, Alabama 0 0%
Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi St. 0 0%
Toby Fleener, TE, Stanford 2 13.33%
Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin 1 6.67%
Nick Perry, 3-4 OLB, USC 3 20.00%
Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor 5 33.33%
Trade down with the Pats for a 2nd and 3rd 3 20.00%
Other (please specify) 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2012, 06:33 PM
All-Pro

Default Quick Take Poll

Lots of options now for the Texans at #26. Now play Rick Smith. For this poll, assume that no new free agent signings have taken place before the draft.

The Broncos have just made their selection and you see the following names still on the board:

* Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
* Toby Fleener, TE, Stanford
* Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi St.
* Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
* Nick Perry, 3-4 OLB, USC
* Mark Barron, SS, Alabama

Plus the Patriots are on the phone, offering to give you their low 2nd and low 3rd for the choice you have now. What's your call and why?
Old 03-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Drafted Rookie

Honestly don't know what Pats pick #'s are, but if Wright is really still there I grab him. Assuming the 2&3 are close to top of rounds I'd be tempted if someone I really love isn't sitting there.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Regular Starter

If they offer 31 and 62, I take it. They already have #27 from the Saints.

We need players, and depth. We still can get fill holes and the more picks, the better chance we hit on guys who can make a difference.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:13 PM
All-Pro

If you re-read the the OP, the picks are a low 2nd and a low 3rd, so that would mean the Texans would not pick in the first, have two picks in the low second, one pick in the high third (thanks to the Ryans trade), one pick in the low third and two picks in the fourth (one due to the Ryans trade).

The idea being that no need is so glaring that we need to spend a first-rounder on it but we would have two picks each in the second, third and fourth where we can build a lot of depth without spending a lot of money. Then we'd have solo picks in the last three rounds to get things like a FB, PK and OL depth that ought to still be around.

I wanted to give the "trade down" crowd something to latch onto but with an offer that was intentionally not a great trade so they might consider whether it was really worth trading down so far.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Drafted Rookie

If we'd lost Myers Konz would get strong consideration, but not now

Freener is on the roster...his name is James

Don't see DT or SS as a huge need...would be stunned

OLB certainly possible I just don't know much about Perry

End of day I take wr/olb or better trade...something taking us no further than 10th inn the second plus a third.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:06 AM
All-Pro

I took other, Stephen Hill would be my choice.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Regular Starter

I selected Fleener, but I'd probably be happy with Wright or Cox too.

I prefer Curry to Perry at 26.

I selected Fleener for several reasons:

Dreesen is gone, gotta fill that void, need depth at the TE, why not take the top prospect, Kubiak loves his TE's, Talent drop off is significant after Him, size and speed are well above average for TE, large throwing radius for our not so accurate QB's.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I took other, Stephen Hill would be my choice.
I would have too, but I feel the big four of Blackman, Floyd, Hill and Wright will be gone. TE Coby Fleener is expected to go late first-early second, which would fill a pass catching need, fall within our slotting, and replace Dreeson at the same time. He stands 6-6, 247 and ran a 4.54 at his pro day. I think it would be a nobrainer for us.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Pro Bowler

[QUOTE=jcp;29838]

Freener is on the roster...his name is James

You miss the point. At 6-6, 247, Fleener ran a 4.54 at his pro day. He could probably play some wideout for us while he bulks up for the TE position. And what a redzone threat!
Old 03-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Drafted Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I would have too, but I feel the big four of Blackman, Floyd, Hill and Wright will be gone. TE Coby Fleener is expected to go late first-early second, which would fill a pass catching need, fall within our slotting, and replace Dreeson at the same time. He stands 6-6, 247 and ran a 4.54 at his pro day. I think it would be a nobrainer for us.
Just don't see it unless they plan to use him as a wideout. We still have two +TE's on the roster and Graham has looked good in very limited time. It's more likely we pick up a FB late and shift Casey back to TE for 2 TE sets and sometimes rotate back to FB. I see his snaps going way up this year. Most likely we look for a blocking TE cheap.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:07 PM
All-Pro

None of the options would be too disappointing for me.

From a BPA standpoint, I would take Wright but I feel good that a solid WR will still be there in the second round and since so many good ones are out there, we can be patient with that position.

Cox appeals to me because good big bodies are hard to find and my reading of him is that he has a high motor guy. At 6-4, is he too tall to be a good nose? He can also be a good end in a 3-4 and be the eventual replacement for Antonio Smith, playing opposite JJ Watt.

Perry appeals in two ways - first, he's a USC guy so he probably will take after Cushing and we know Cushing can turn on his beast and dominate. Having a second one could be awesome. Secondly, he had 9-1/2 sacks last year so we know he can get after the QB. He can be insurance if Reed or Barwin goes down and that style of defense really needs two speed rushers to dominate the way they did last year.

Fleener is going to be a good one and gives Schaub another weapon but I think Casey can do that too if the Texans would develop him more. Fleener is possibly the better deep threat and insurance if Daniels gets hurt again.

Barron is a good player with championship pedigree but you can usually find good safeties in later rounds. If he's not a Polamalu, taking one in the first is probably too early.

The trade with the Patriots is fools gold. It makes sense if you need bodies but we just aren't that desperate.

In the end, I chose Perry because he can be sold to the fans as our Mario replacement (even if he isn't) and he gives us three good edge rushers. He also has the size to bulk up into an ILB or a smallish DE if he can't handle playing in space on the outside. Fleener and Cox are tough to pass on but Perry probably makes the smartest choice, just by a whisker over some of the others.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Pro Bowler

I'll take the best available pass rushed, although Wright is awfully tempting....
Old 03-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Pro Bowler

The way i see it we have defense pretty much in hand (for another year at least). Teams will set up to stop Arian this year. Therefore to keep the offense explosive, we desperately need to replace the non-production of Jacobe Jones and Keven walter. Together they had 600 yds receiving last year. If that is not a crying need, I don't know what is. And AJ is getting older, more injury prone. Think about it.

WR/TE with the first, OLB with the second, and WR again with the 3rd or 4th.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:10 PM
All-Pro

Mostly agree with need a WR, but year before Walters and Jacoby both had about 60 receptions and 600 yds each. Maybe the play calling changed.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:16 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
The way i see it we have defense pretty much in hand (for another year at least). Teams will set up to stop Arian this year. Therefore to keep the offense explosive, we desperately need to replace the non-production of Jacobe Jones and Keven walter. Together they had 600 yds receiving last year. If that is not a crying need, I don't know what is. And AJ is getting older, more injury prone. Think about it.

WR/TE with the first, OLB with the second, and WR again with the 3rd or 4th.
Walter had 474 and jones 512. That's 986.

It doesnt change us needing a wr and that jacoby in particular needs to go.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:30 PM
All-Pro

I went with the "Trade down" option...as I always do, even with Nick Perry at the top of my draft board. The mock draft I came away with was this...
#48 OLB Shea McClellin
#58 OT Brandon Mosley
#76 RB Doug Martin
#93 WR AJ Jenkins
#98 DB Jamell Fleming
#120 OC Mike Brewster
#152 CB Charles Brown
#183 WR TJ Graham
#215 OG Desmond Wynn
UFA QB Austin Davis

Last edited by Roy P; 03-25-2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
I'll take the best available pass rushed, although Wright is awfully tempting....
WHY? You were maybe dissatisfied with our passrush last year?
Old 03-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Walter had 474 and jones 512. That's 986.
It doesnt change us needing a wr and that jacoby in particular needs to go.

OK, thanks Barrett. You exposed my lazyside for not looking it up. But anyway, point was made.