IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2010, 10:08 PM
All-Pro

Default Thoughts from Skins game

1. I hope we never see Steve Slaton returning kicks again. That was the single worse KR effort I've ever seen. He stutter stepped repeatedly and never hit the seam hard. You can't return kicks like you run the zone stretch. Not to mention the screwup of trying to field the ball going out of bounds and taking one out of the endzone to end up at the 15.

2. Kubiak with the punt on 4th and 4 from the 36. If you don't like a missed FG giving it to them on the 43, just go for it. We had 500+ yards. Should be able to pick up 4. As it was we punted and turk dropped it well into the endzone. Mismanaged all around.

3. McNabb is great on the deep ball. Not very accurate though. We should have given him the same gameplan as Peyton got last week. Everything in front of the DBs, make him move the chains, and I doubt they score more than 10 points. Instead we've got Sellars and Fred Davis and everyone else in Maroon behind us every other series.

4. Mario played great. Single handedly stopped the skins in the 2nd half. Also learned he is 6'7" and can knock down passes on the plays he doesn't get to the QB. Antonio Smith was good. Mitchell got pressure once. The rest of the DL no-showed.

5. Adibi looked terrible. Diles not much better. At one point they had 300+ yards passing and 3 yards rushing and our LBs were STILL biting on play action. Were they really afraid that Portis was going to 'gouge' us for an 11 yard run (about the most he gets with the speed he has these days). I didn't realize how much we would miss cushing in coverage.

6. Safety play was ok. Pollard tackled well and had the good kick block. Wilson was the only guy to make plays in pass defense all day.

7. Foster impressed me. I thought we would have to go to Slaton as the pass catching back which would have telegraphed our offense. Foster was solid as a blocker and in the screen game. I just wonder why we only screened once in the first half. We couldn't block them and the one screen we ran went for like 40. Through 2 games Dennison hasn't used the RBs in the screen game much (or the TE). I think this is an element from last year we need to go back to.

8. This is why I am such a big fan of Walter and always defend him. He wasn't healthy last year, but 2 years ago he was a big time deep threat. Good speed and Tall. More than a possession guy and blocker.

9. Why does Casey never play?

10. Schaub was very good once he got in rhythm. He made more plays on the move today than I've ever seen him make. Great on bootlegs, great at moving in the pocket. And with our backup, I don't mind him doing the Manning and dropping into the fetal position when he is caught dead to rights. Will help him stay healthy. Especially since he'll keep a play alive and take the punishment when he needs to (TD to AJ).

11. Good pass blocking in the 2nd half. Lots of good play-action and bootlegs to keep the rush at bay.

12. Big old brass shiny ones on all the guys after the effort today.

13. Shanahan has them on the right track in DC.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Veteran Depth

1. Agreed. He should have let two go into endzone or out of bounds.

2. I don't have faith in Rackers for long FGs. I think the Texans should have been more aggressive on 3rd down and Turk needs to drop those inside the 10.

3. Agreed

4. The DTs did a good job against the run.

5. Need Cushing back!

6. Pollard made some great plays, but he got faked out of his shoes at least once by the TE for a big play.

7. I've liked the offense so far. A little conservative at times, but they mix it up, too.

8. Almost would like to see the Texans use 3 wrs more if Vonta wasn't having such a good season.

9. He isn't a blocker. Too many plays require the TE to block.

10. Schaub was very good

11. Oline was horrible in first half.

12. agreed

13. agreed.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Administrator

http://www.inthebullseye.com/archive/2010/20100919.html

Also, with 859 passing yards allowed in two games, yeah, I sorta wonder how that might be different with Dunta out there. In a cap-less season, Robinson could be starting with another F-tag AND Kareem Jackson could still have been drafted to be his replacement ...in 2011.

Sure, the Texans saved millions, but it is rough watching vet QBs pick on the rookie. I guess it's a bottom line league, and the bottom line here is still 2-0 without DRob and the pocketed millions, but it still makes me wonder if that was the right call. Given the DRob dislike here for how he handled his business, I'm guessing this is an unpopular thought I'm having regardless of K-Jack's learning on the fly.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:13 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

Also, with 859 passing yards allowed in two games, yeah, I sorta wonder how that might be different with Dunta out there. In a cap-less season, Robinson could be starting with another F-tag AND Kareem Jackson could still have been drafted to be his replacement ...in 2011.

Sure, the Texans saved millions, but it is rough watching vet QBs pick on the rookie. I guess it's a bottom line league, and the bottom line here is still 2-0 without DRob and the pocketed millions, but it still makes me wonder if that was the right call. Given the DRob dislike here for how he handled his business, I'm guessing this is an unpopular thought I'm having regardless of K-Jack's learning on the fly.
I completely disagree with this, I think as a whole KJ has been in pretty good position on most of his plays, and McNabb made some fantastic throws. In the 1st half our Dline got zero pressure on him and we obviously played to take the run away.

KJ was not perfect, and I know that, but he has been much better than the guy I wanted was last Monday night, Kyle Wilson.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:55 AM
All-Pro

What I liked about this game was the growth we are seeing from this team.

Last week the texans beat the Colts a team that has had their number since they started.

This week we did something that good teams usually do, they find a way to win ugly games on the road. We saw veterans who according to AJ said we are not going to loose this game.

The stars had sluggish 1st halves and then they keep chipping away. This team last year and before would have let this game go. Figure oh well there is always next week.

I am wondering how much this team has learned from the disappointment of being a few plays from the playoff last season. I think they see now you have to claw and fight for ever possible win while the clock is ticking. 2-0 is nice, but 3-0 will feel even better.

This game is over, time to think about the cowgirls.

And this just in AJ is getting an MRI on his ankle in the morning, that worries me.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:16 AM
Pro Bowler

My thoughts are that the pass rush has to be more consistent and the pass coverage NEEDS to get better, no ifs ands or buts.

Amazing to see Schaub throw for 497 after getting beat the hell up all game. He did miss a ton of throws though, which is worrisome. Dude could have had like 550 yards.

Didn't use Arian too much, especially after they adjusted to the run in the second half, but I still liked what I saw from him. Hard runner, had some nice bursts.

What can we say about Walter and Andre? Absolutely nothing. Saviors.

I love the heart we showed. 27-10 (screw that score, btw) and we don't give up. It's maturation in a way, but I'd prefer to not see the pattern of getting down and having to claw back in. We've got to realize that we're good, and we shouldn't have to dick around like this.

Love the displays by Pollard (blocked FG has to be the play of the game, even over Andre's TD), DeMeco, and Mario (second half, anyway). Not surprisingly the anchors of the D. Can't wait to see Cushing back in.

I'd like to see Owen Daniels used a bit more, but I suppose he's still working his way back into the groove of things. I'm sure it'll come soon. I would also like to see Slaton given a shot in the receiving game. His KR skill is freakin' horrendous.

About the decision to punt, well, I'm still not sure I liked it (even though it worked out) but I guess I understand it. I was more worried about the decision to go with the 3rd and 4 instead of the 4th and inches. The 3rd and 4 was BARELY a catch, phew.

Antonio Smith does some really stupid stuff sometimes. REALLY stupid.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:56 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
And this just in AJ is getting an MRI on his ankle in the morning, that worries me.
This shouldn't be much of a deal. He did most of his work after the ankle. I didn't even see him walking funny...I am hoping it was just a slight injury.

He really went up and got that TD, with the ankle injury...
Old 09-20-2010, 08:10 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

I've been catching quite a bit of the Falcons on Redzone and Dunta hasn't looked all that great. At least when I've noticed him in the picture, he's always running after someone who has gotten by him. Similar to last year. I'd rather go with the young guys. I thought they played better in the second half and tightened down on the Skins when they needed to. And actually, I thought the LBs played worse than the secondary yesterday.