IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Veteran Depth

Default Come on fan, you can do it.

Holy Smokes....this Koolaid has single-malt whiskey in it!!!!

I'm in it.
I'm down with it.
I'm a believer.
I'm throwing down an 11-5 prediction.
I'm saying we beat the colts...even if P. Manning does play in the first game.
I believe Wade Phillips is NOT gelling--cause he don't need to.
I believe Mario is pissed, not cause he can't get to the QB. But that other players are getting their faster. Hell he got flagged cause another player threw the QBs head into his.

Look I feel you, I know your scared of it. I've been getting my optimism stepped on for 9 years as a season ticket holder. I know that my old leaps of faith, turned into leaps into F&%*!!! But if you're reading this board, I know that deep down inside of that well-deserved, pessimistic heart there is still a bit of hope.

Come on and take a drink!!!
Old 08-28-2011, 07:36 PM
All-Pro

Great Post, I'm down with this if we stay healthy...

I hope I did not jinx us
Old 08-28-2011, 07:42 PM
All-Pro

I like this idea as well.

It is our best preseason start ever.

We just demolished 49ers on offense and defense.

Time for the positive thinking coolaid to take over.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Hall of Fame

Glug, glug, glug.

*burp*

I think we're on the right track. (Hmm, where have I heard that before?)
Old 08-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Glug, glug, glug.

*burp*

I think we're on the right track. (Hmm, where have I heard that before?)
The kiss of death.....

I'm optimistic/hopeful, but I'm always optimistic/hopeful in August.

I WANT to be optimistic/hope in NOVEMBER and DECEMBER.

We've got a rough patch ahead, the first month of the season is absolutely brutal, but I'm thinking we can hang with just about anyone, so we will see how it plays out.

Should definitely be in the game more times than not this year.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:45 AM
All-Pro

They were 3-1 in regular season last year and look what happened.
Why should anyone get excited about a 3-0 preseason ?
Old 08-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
They were 3-1 in regular season last year and look what happened.
Why should anyone get excited about a 3-0 preseason ?
Cause its August!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post

The kiss of death.....

I'm optimistic/hopeful, but I'm always optimistic/hopeful in August.

I WANT to be optimistic/hope in NOVEMBER and DECEMBER.

We've got a rough patch ahead, the first month of the season is absolutely brutal, but I'm thinking we can hang with just about anyone, so we will see how it plays out.

Should definitely be in the game more times than not this year.
Why is it the kiss of death?

Ya know, I always thought this was an interesting event last year. Why would Bob McNair declare a 5-8 team that had just lost to the Ravens on a Monday Night game as "on the right track"? Was he mainlining koolaid? Most commenters (read: angry fan) in other forums/blogs thought he was naive, crazy and that the other owners were just buttering him up. Thought he was overselling his product just a tad. And these same commenters never missed an opportunity to point this out during off-season discussions (time and time again and again and again).

I'm thinkin' Bob's vision might be a little different than Joe Fan's. Here we had the Texans hanging with the always-tough-Ravens for 4 quarters in an entertaining Monday Night game. That is something that not even the 8-8/9-7 Texan teams of the past did well (i.e. be competitive against good teams). So, yeah, Bob's comment on the surface sounded a little, ahem, overly optimistic but perhaps he was speaking from his vision. (and as we all know, a vision 9 years in the making). To some, his comments will always remain an unforgivable offense but I'm not in that crowd. Ask yourself:

1. Did you feel the hiring of Wade Phillips was a good move?

2. Did you feel the Texans made good choices in this year's draft?

3. How about the pickup of Joseph and Manning in free agency?

4. Did the Texans show improvement with their 3-0 showing against the Jets, Saints and 49'ers in pre-season?

So are the Texans on the right track? At this point in time, I'd say yes, I see a lot of improvement, but there is still a season to play out....

Sometime after Thursday's game, I (or someone else) will run a poll on the predicted record for the year. Will be interesting to see the results....
Old 08-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Regular Starter

The Defense, besides switching to the 3-4 "looks different." They seem to to be playing fast. It looks like the defense is having fun, they are flying around and making plays. The attitude is also different.

After sitting through so much bad football at Reliant, its our time to win.

I believe.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Pro Bowler

If anybody cares to recall, I said 10-6 way back when the CBA got approved.

Wade said it didn't take that long to teach his version of the 3-4. That seems to be the case so far. What is different is the defensive guys are really buying into it, and that's what I think has made the difference.

The offense has been taking full advantage of what the defense is giving them. Now if KUbes will just have them do some more reps on the special teams, we should be able to contend with anyone in the league.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Veteran Depth

Houston Texans defense is ranked second in the league atm! I know, I know preseason et al, but you know the koolaid's good when the king of haterade is onboard.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:37 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
It looks like the defense is having fun, they are flying around and making plays.
That is one of he biggest differences in the defense this season. That and all of them seem to be making plays, not waiting on Mario or Cushing to make a play.

The DL seems to be saying to each other meet me at the QB.

BTW that is what the '85 Bears defense said in the huddle, they truly wanted to beat the guy next to them to the QB. Now I'm not declaring this team to be that good, but the are finally playing with that take the ball make something happen type attitude. And I like it so much better than Read n React.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Pro Bowler

Its just fun to watch
Old 08-30-2011, 03:27 PM
All-Pro

There are still some serious problems in the secondary but the front seven, mainly the addition of Barwin and Watt from what I can tell, seems totally rejuvenated. Good thing, too, because Kareem still can't cover anyone. If Watt bats down enough passes maybe we'll eventually forget how poor the coverage is.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
There are still some serious problems in the secondary but the front seven, mainly the addition of Barwin and Watt from what I can tell, seems totally rejuvenated. Good thing, too, because Kareem still can't cover anyone. If Watt bats down enough passes maybe we'll eventually forget how poor the coverage is.
Yep, I guessed right, it was less than 24 hours for Chuck to come in and screw up the kool-aid.....
Old 08-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Regular Starter

Biggest change I see .... they are all moving on the snap of the ball trying to force the offenses hand rather than waiting and trying to see what the offense might be doing. Big difference IMO.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:27 PM
All-Pro

They seem to even be playing better in the secondary. They will be showing us its better this year. The whole defense is playing with better teamwork.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Training Camp Fodder

I'm desperately trying to stick to my original 10-6, but that battle red kool aid is pretty delicious. The offense is solid as ever (when we hold on to the football), Ben Tate might even be better than I thought he would be, Arian and Dre are Arian and Dre, and OD looks like he's got something to prove. I'm concerned by the injuries to the line depth, but we've still got a top 5 offense, and the most underrated QB in football.

What I'm really excited about is the D. Joseph looks awesome, and I'm diggin' Quinn at safety. It's nice to see guys making plays back there. And holy geez that front 7! I'm quite satisfied with Mario's progression at LB. The sack numbers will come. JJ Watt collapses the pocket on seemingly every snap, Barwin's picked up where he left off in that Colts game (he's gonna be fun to watch in the opener, no doubt), and Brooks Reed! Instinctive, athletic, and he's just plain mean. We've seen vanilla defenses with 4 man rushes, and we're getting sacks all over the field. This is gonna be a scary good defense once the blitz packages start coming out. AND, we're forcing turnovers!!! When has THAT ever happened?

That said, our run D up the middle SUCKS. I mean, we knew it was gonna with 290lb DT's, but still. I'm hoping getting DeMeco back will go a long way, but that's the biggest area for concern for me on the whole team.

Also, how can we not find a decent kickoff return guy? We can't start EVERY drive from the 17 yard line, can we? I'd like to see Nolan back there on Thursday, just to see. He looked quite capable on that pick return.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:22 PM
All-Pro

for punt returns Jacoby should do good and has fourth best stats - yds/return for the preseason.

for kick returns - that will likely go to Daniel Manning who hasn't done it in preseason but led the league the past two years.

Kick and punt defense, I guess that could improve as well.

I thought DL did pretty good against San Francisco including against run and 49ers were supposedly a good run team.

anyways it is preseason and the real games that count start 9/11 - can't wait.