IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 05-04-2012, 03:24 PM
All-Pro

Default 2013 Mocks and Needs

I know many of you hate to think about next years draft just a week after the current one. And I understand that. But I like to look the building of a roster, and the building of this team.

Also I like to give myself names to watch for this upcoming college season.

As for the Texans, this draft addressed most current needs very well. So what needs jump out at me.

IMO I want this team to become the Steelers, and that means you don't over pay for players, except for a few unique cases. We have a couple of important guys in the last years of their contracts. Matt Schaub, Duane Brown, Conner Barwin and Rashad Butler are all in contract years. In a perfect world they all have good years and need pay increases (after the 2012 season). I see Schaub and Brown as the only must sign guys. I can let Barwin and Butler walk if I like their backups. When is Cushing's contract year, is it this year? If so then he becomes a priority also.

Again this is very early and full of speculation, and I am making some leaps of faith. My needs for the 2013 draft are the following: OG, OLB, ILB, S, developmental QB, RB, developmental #1 WR.

Of course you cannot get this all in one draft, but you can try.

draftsite.com has a 3 round 2013 mock up, and they have use taking the following:

27 Luke Joeckel* OT Texas A&M 6' 6" 304
58 Chase Thomas ILB Stanford 6' 4" 240
90 Adewale Ojomo DE Miami 6' 4" 253

If I resign Brown, I do not need Joeckel. I might look at this:

27 Jackson Jeffcoat* OLB Texas 6' 5" 250
58 Montee Ball RB Wisconsin 5' 11" 234 bye-bye Ben Tate? trade
90 Chris McDonald OG Michigan State 6-5 300

Some guys to watch this coming college season.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:53 PM
All-Pro

Default Guys to watch this upcoming year

Matt Barkley QB Southern California Sr 6-1 218
Landry Jones QB Oklahoma rSr 6-4 230
Tyler Wilson QB Arkansas rSr 6-3 220
Logan Thomas QB Virginia Tech Jr 6-5 254
Tyler Bray QB Tennessee Jr 6-6 210

Montee Ball RB Wisconsin Sr 5-09 212
Knile Davis RB Arkansas Sr 6-0 226
Marcus Lattimore RB South Carolina 5-11 233
Joseph Randle RB Oklahoma St. 6-0 191

Da'Rick Rogers WR Tennessee Jr 6-2 215
Robert Woods WR USC Jr 6-1 181

Tyler Eifert TE Notre Dame Jr 6-6 249

James Hurst OT North Carolina Jr 6-6 313
Luke Joeckel OT Texas A&M Jr 6-5 310
Morgan Moses OT Virginia Jr 6-5 335
Taylor Lewan OT Michigan Jr 6-7 305
Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M 6-5 305

Alex Okafor OLB/DE Texas Sr 6-4 260
Jackson Jeffcoat OLB/DE Texas Jr 6-5 253
Barkevious Mingo OLB LSU Jr 6-4 245
Corey Lemonier OLB Auburn Jr 6-3 242
Sam Montgomery OLB LSU Jr 6-4 245
William Gholston DE Michigan ST Jr 6-7 280

Kawann Short DT Purdue rSr 6-3 310
Star Lotulelei DT Utah Sr 6-3 325
Johnathan Hankins DT Ohio St Jr 6-3 335

Manti Te'o ILB Notre Dame Sr 6-2 255 love this kid and we no shot at him
Kevin Reddick ILB North Carolina Sr 6-2 240
Chase Thomas ILB/ OLB Stanford rSr 6-4 240

T.J. McDonald FS Southern California Sr 6-2 205

Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU Jr 5-9 185
David Amerson CB NC St. Jr 6-3 194
Tharold Simon CB LSU Jr 6-3 188
Xavier Rhodes CB Florida St Jr 6-2 210
Carrington Byndom CB Texas Jr 6-0 181
Old 05-04-2012, 04:00 PM
All-Pro

Default WalterFootball 05.03.12

Walter Football has us doing the following:

Quote:
29 Johnathan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
Kareem Jackson will have one more shot to be the starting cornerback across from Johnathan Joseph next year. If he struggles again, Houston will be in the market for a replacement.
Quote:
60 Jesse Williams, NT, Alabama
The Texans didn't want to address the nose tackle position this offseason, but maybe they'll have a different attitude toward that next spring.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:39 PM
All-Pro

You never know who's going to get injured or who's going to come out early so it's almost pointless now, even if it gets a little conversation going during our off-off-season.

I will say this - if there's a choice when we pick between Jeffcoat and Byndom, I'd choose Byndom. He's been much more impressive to me.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:47 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
You never know who's going to get injured or who's going to come out early so it's almost pointless now, even if it gets a little conversation going during our off-off-season.

I will say this - if there's a choice when we pick between Jeffcoat and Byndom, I'd choose Byndom. He's been much more impressive to me.
The list of players I have is all the 5 star players that will be draft eligible next year. There are 35 players listed. Some will fall, and other will come out of nowhere, to be added to this list.

I am speculating from a place where everyone improves, and no one gets hurt. Both of those speculations are going to happen, players backslide and players get hurt, so yes that does change everything.

One thing I am trying to do is account now for losing a few guys to FA again. One of the biggest loses I foresee is Conner Barwin. If he has another year like last year, he will be in line for a big pay raise. And I do not see the team being ale to pay everyone that is going to be due a raise.

So I hope that clears up why I have OLB at the top of my mock. And for the record, IMO Ball has no chance right now of being available at 58. So this is just to kill some time in the off off season.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:49 PM
All-Pro

This planning ahead with another tight salary cap is eye opening. I could see this affecting 53 man rosters, trades, and draft next year. Hopefully Texans can extend some of these guys early and keep some team consistency .

I think there is a long list of UFA and RFA next year.

UFA - Matt Schaub, Rashad Butler, Shaun Cody, Bradie James, Brice Mccain, Conner Barwin, Duane Brown, Glover Quin, Antione Caldwell, james Casey, Tim Jamison, Troy Nolan.

RFA
Brian Cushing, Antonio Smith, Wade Smith, Earl Mitchell, Daryl Sharpton, Ben Tate.

Lots of guys who will deserve to get paid.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:48 PM
All-Pro

Any deal Schaub signs next year is likely to significantly lower his cap number. I was amazed they didn't extend him for some cap relief this summer. I guess they are not as sold on him as the guy to lead us to the superbowl as McNair claimed during the manning flirting. I for one love the guy as a playoff QB but am not sold either. I guess he has this year to prove it.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:02 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
This planning ahead with another tight salary cap is eye opening. I could see this affecting 53 man rosters, trades, and draft next year. Hopefully Texans can extend some of these guys early and keep some team consistency .

I think there is a long list of UFA and RFA next year.

UFA - Matt Schaub, Rashad Butler, Shaun Cody, Bradie James, Brice Mccain, Conner Barwin, Duane Brown, Glover Quin, Antione Caldwell, james Casey, Tim Jamison, Troy Nolan.

RFA
Brian Cushing, Antonio Smith, Wade Smith, Earl Mitchell, Daryl Sharpton, Ben Tate.

Lots of guys who will deserve to get paid.
The guys in red should all be looking for a big payday. I'm don't think we can keep them all.

As for the guys in blue, they both have over 4 years in the league, and this can not be restricted. Only 3 year vets can be restricted.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:29 PM
All-Pro

The two Smiths were UFAs we signed from other teams so their availability for free agency comes at the end of their current contracts (whenever those are) and they would become UFAs again.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:05 AM
Pro Bowler

I think it's safe to take Duane Brown off the list when talking about FA's potentially leaving. If he remains healthy and doesn't suffer a devastating injury like Charles Spencer, no way in hell the Texans let him walk. Without a doubt he'll get the F-Tag if it even gets that far.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:18 PM
All-Pro

Default Draftsite.com 06.01.12

26 Kevin Reddick ILB UNC 6' 3" 230
57 Tony Jefferson* S Oklahoma 5' 10" 199
89 Jordan Hill DT Penn State 6' 1" 297

I could see the Texans going ILB in the 1st, but that is a guy that will only see 40-50% of the defensive snaps, so maybe not. I still see them going OLB in the 1st with Barwin being a FA.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Veteran Depth

Shaun Cody will most likely be gone after this season so the Texans can afford Brown's new contract. Hopefully this is the year that the Texans get a big oversized NT.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:09 PM
All-Pro

Default Draftsite.com 08.24.12

26 Kevin Reddick ILB UNC 6' 3" 230
56 Chase Thomas ILB Stanford 6' 4" 240
88 Jheranie Boyd WR UNC 6' 2" 190

OK IMO there is no way they take two ILB with their first two picks. Not with Cushing being on the verge of being an All Pro.

ILB is showing a lack of depth right now, but we have a nice mix of youth and veteran at the position. If Sharpton does come back from his injury and looks OK then we maybe OK here at ILB, at least in the first two rounds.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:20 PM
All-Pro

I agree that a NT may be a position of need next year and likely one where someone good might appear at the bottom of the first round where I expect the Texans to be. I could also see them going o-line or DB. I think we are fine in terms of impact positions and can focus on depth primarily.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 PM
All-Pro

Default WalterFootball 08.15.12

Quote:
Houston Texans: Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin
The Texans were interested in bringing in a right tackle early in the 2012 NFL Draft, but they never got the chance. Well, here's their opportunity. The position will have to be addressed if Rashad Butler can't properly fill in for Eric Winston.
Quote:
Houston Texans: Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State
Kareem Jackson will have one more shot to be the starting cornerback across from Johnathan Joseph next year. If he struggles again, Houston will be in the market for a replacement.
I can understand the national press's thinking at OT, but I think they are wrong.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:00 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post

I can understand the national press's thinking at OT, but I think they are wrong.
Butler will be a free agent, I can see the Texans trying to pinch pennies on guys like him to afford someone like Quin
Old 08-29-2012, 01:21 AM
All-Pro

Default My precollege football mock

This is my mock for the Texans 2013 draft.

32 Jesse Williams DT Alabama Sr 6-3 320
64 Robert Lester FS Alabama Sr 6-2 212
96 *C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa Jr 6-6 265
128 Omoregie Uzzi OG Georgia Tech rSr 6-3 302
160 A.J. Klein ILB Iowa State Sr 6-1 244
192 Tavarres King WR Georgia rSr 6-1 200
224 Sean Renfree QB Duke r Sr 6-4 225

My 1st pick is a guy who came to football late, so he is raw, he has played the 5 technique and now is moving to the nose.
Lester will be a 3 year starter in the SEC, has excellent ball skills and could project well into Wade's system.
CJ was just starting to emerge when the season ended last year. Has the size and speed to be a nightmare for defenses to match up with.
Uzzi projects to be my LG to ultimately replace Wade Smith, he would be the final piece of my Future OL. Brown, Uzzi, Jones, Brooks, Newton.
Klein is a ball hawk with cover skills.
King is set for a breakout season for the Bulldogs.
Renfree is dropback passer who has been coached by the man who developed the Manning brothers.

Now remember this is to give us some names to watch this upcoming season. Real college football starts this week. Time to start watching.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:40 PM
All-Pro

Default Draftsite.com 09.04.12

28 D.J. Fluker* OT Alabama 6' 6" 340
58 Jonathan Cooper OC UNC 6' 3" 295
90 Brad Madison DE Missouri 6' 4" 250
122 Craig Roh DE Michigan 6' 5" 269

I really hate it when guys who have no clue of our roster make picks for us. I do not see them going with an OC and two DE's in the first four picks.

My cherry picks:

28 Alex Okafor OLB Texas 6' 4.5" 260
90 Rod Sweeting CB Georgia Tech 6' 0" 184

Only if Barwin leaves in FA.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:04 PM
All-Pro

I took a look at how I'd have cherry picked the last draft...I would have taken Nick Perry over Mercilus, but regardless they addressed the void of pass-rusher by Mario. Insted of Brooks & Posey - I went CB Jammel Flemming and NT Brandon Thompson. So, I'm hopeful for a NT especially with concerns over Cody's back. I also want another CB for depth. I'm still scratching my head on the OC Ben Jones pick over OT Bobbie Massie. We need a RT. I liked the Crick selection and Martin. I went for big WR Marvin Jones & Juron criner and I hate we went with Posey. Maybe LeStar Jean is a surprise. I also went Markelle Martin so I could play Quinn as the Nickleback, again just trying to match up. I would like to see another ILB to push Dobbins since I have little faith in Bradie James.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:09 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
28 D.J. Fluker* OT Alabama 6' 6" 340
58 Jonathan Cooper OC UNC 6' 3" 295
90 Brad Madison DE Missouri 6' 4" 250
122 Craig Roh DE Michigan 6' 5" 269

I really hate it when guys who have no clue of our roster make picks for us. I do not see them going with an OC and two DE's in the first four picks.

My cherry picks:

28 Alex Okafor OLB Texas 6' 4.5" 260
90 Rod Sweeting CB Georgia Tech 6' 0" 184

Only if Barwin leaves in FA.
After this weekend, a little different take on the cherry pick:

28 Jesse Williams DT Alabama 6' 4" 320
90 Wes Horton OLB USC 6' 5" 260
122 Chris McDonald OG Michigan State 6' 5" 295

It's more about the positions than the players at this point.