Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 01-09-2016, 06:33 PM
Hall of Fame

Chief's ball at the Texan 49.

Davis rushes for 5.

Davis for 2.

2 minute warning.

------------------------------------------------

On 3rd and 3, Davis gets 4 and the 1st down.

Chiefs kneeling it.

Final score:

Chiefs 30, Texans 0

Well, that sucked...
Old 01-09-2016, 06:36 PM
All-Pro

I love them interviewing Alex Smith and pretending he played well.

"What clicked with your offense in the 2nd half."

I wish Smith had answered, the other guy kept throwing it to us and we just made sure to not screw it up.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:00 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You'd have to look hard to see worse quarterback play anywhere in the league on any week of the season. This sort of nonsense in a playoff game is stupefying.
Ya, I said something similar... don't know if I picked it up from your comment or not but yeah, most definitely....

You would think OB realizes what he's got, now... and what he wants would be better accomplished without Brian Hoyer.

It's not all Hoyer of course, but he's about 90% responsible for today's loss...
Old 01-09-2016, 07:27 PM
All-Pro

Despite the fact that, what, forty guys took the field today at one time or another this loss was almost totally on Hoyer. If you need a game manager sort of quarterback you simply cannot have that guy lose the game for you. I don't care if it was his first playoff game. F me, TJ Yates won his first game by being a manager, basically.

Maybe the silver lining is that Hoyer was so historically terrible that they have to confront their quarterback problem in a real way now. They can't pretend that Hoyer is good enough because he obviously isn't.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:41 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Despite the fact that, what, forty guys took the field today at one time or another this loss was almost totally on Hoyer. If you need a game manager sort of quarterback you simply cannot have that guy lose the game for you. I don't care if it was his first playoff game. F me, TJ Yates won his first game by being a manager, basically.

Maybe the silver lining is that Hoyer was so historically terrible that they have to confront their quarterback problem in a real way now. They can't pretend that Hoyer is good enough because he obviously isn't.
I've been saying all along the idea of Hoyer as a game manager is ridiculous. He is a low percentage passer who turns it over. He is like a homeless man's version of the worst of Brett Favre. Having him as plan A for an NFL season should cost the jobs of anyone involved. He truly did ruin the best efforts of 40 teammates today.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:50 PM
Pro Bowler

The most stunning thing to me about Hoyer's performance is it wasn't like KC was playing smothering, stifling D. Hoyer was just plain awful all by himself pretty much. And I don't care who's on your bench, you pull Hoyer's ass in the 2nd half and try to give your Offense some sort of spark - whether it works or not. No one (other than OB, apparently) thought Hoyer was going to anything that 2nd half. That game was over despite only being down by 13. Hoyer was a wreck at that point and had zero chance of bringing them back. I think I'm more ticked than I've ever been with OB right now. Just pathetic.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Pro Bowler

Special Teams were pathetic today too. If it weren't for KC shooting themselves in the foot with penalties on 3 or 4 returns it probably would've been 50-0.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:09 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
The most stunning thing to me about Hoyer's performance is it wasn't like KC was playing smothering, stifling D. Hoyer was just plain awful all by himself pretty much.
This is exactly right. It's best illustrated by his first fumble. No one even fking touched him. He just dropped the ball for no reason.

The Texans had zero return yards today. Zero.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:18 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I prefer the playoff game unless it convinces our brain trust that we don't need a QB. I think either outcome has no effect on Rick Smith's job. I think we could go 2-14 and he'd be back.
I don't see any way that the QB spot wasn't glowing after this debacle. What couldn't happen, happened. Hoyer lost the game for us. Period, exclamation point.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:58 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
This is exactly right. It's best illustrated by his first fumble. No one even fking touched him. He just dropped the ball for no reason.

No that's not true. The edge rusher off of the weak side basically thru Duane Brown's replacement, Clark I think, into Hoyer and upon impact the ball was jarred loose from Hoyer's grip. I also thought he was untouched until the replay, maybe it was the second replay when the contact was clear to me.
So anyway that was a real stinker and with a name like O'Brien, if there's any real credibility to the coachs name he's now completely drunk on his butt.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:15 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
No that's not true. The edge rusher off of the weak side basically thru Duane Brown's replacement, Clark I think, into Hoyer and upon impact the ball was jarred loose from Hoyer's grip. I also thought he was untouched until the replay, maybe it was the second replay when the contact was clear to me.
Thanks. I'll look at it again. The view I saw appeared to show no contact at all.

So after tonight's game would you rather lose because your quarterback is a giant vagina or would you rather have a top-half quarterback and lose because some of your players are brain dead stupid?
Old 01-09-2016, 11:21 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Thanks. I'll look at it again. The view I saw appeared to show no contact at all.

So after tonight's game would you rather lose because your quarterback is a giant vagina or would you rather have a top-half quarterback and lose because some of your players are brain dead stupid?
The LT's back bumps into Hoyer. There is minimal contact and terrible pocket awareness, but he definitely gets bumped.

I would rather lose because Hoyer sucks than because we built our team on stupid people doing more tough things than stupid things and turned out wrong.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:38 AM
All-Pro

Quote:

Popanot is dead on: after that interception Hoyer thru at the 2-yrd line at the end of the half, O'Brien should have pulled Hoyer and started Weedon, started anybody else but Hoyer in the second half. Our defense was playing well and KC had not scored an offensive TD in the entire half at that point in time, and we were still in the game.
I don't know what's worse, losing the way we did or the way the Bengals did. Probably the Bengals because they had the game won, but the sequence of events/penalties by them at the end was incredible. I wonder if they do finally fire Marvin Louis ?
Old 01-10-2016, 08:26 AM
All-Pro

I think Bengal fans are in far more pain today because more was expected and because they literally choked away a last-minute victory. Personally, I knew the refs would win it for Pittsburgh but the Bengals made it easy for them by not getting their goons off the field (Burfict, PacMan). Stupid, stupid way to lose.

But back to the Texans. Losing this spectacularly at home (I'll bet Babs Bush was there somewhere - the Bushes are always present when Houston gets their postseason ass-kickings) might have been enough for McNair to want to demand some changes, including:

*Making a serious off-season upgrade at QB, either in the draft or FA.
*Finding a TE who can hang onto a pass.
*Finding a special teams coach who can get 11 people that run and make tackles.
*Probably waving Arian Foster to free up needed cap room.

Getting embarrassed (again) like that on national television might be enough to get some major changes done whereas if we had lost 27-20 like we did on week 1, we would have heard "stay the course" type of comments.

I think our top three draft picks all improved as the season went along and will play bigger roles next year. A repeat of that in this year's draft would be a positive development.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:41 AM
Pro Bowler

Angry

For the life of me I still have no clue as to why these coaches continued to play Nate Washington over ANY other WR on the roster when anyone who is not blind could see there was a 90% chance he will drop the pass. Well, that is when he actually ran the correct route. Him along with our stone hands TEs and POS QB, made winning against any decent team an almost impossible feat. When we look back at the 2015 season, I think we need to highly question quite a few decisions made by OB and staff. Fire-able offenses?? No, but the margin for forgiveness in 2016 is getting pretty thin, IMO.

Well, new year, but some things never change... Bengals lose a playoff game and the Texans/Insert Houston Franchise Here embarrass themselves on national TV.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Hall of Fame

I have no desire to rewatch this one but anyone remember the play where Lechler punted and Jon Weeks, the long snapper, was the first one down the field? That's just crazy. Perhaps they need to find another long snapper and let Weeks takeover the gunner position......

-------------------------------------------------

I think OB saying Weeden didn't get snaps this week (or some such) and wasn't prepared was just so much coachspeak (or flat out lying if you prefer). OB could've yanked Hoyer and given Weeden plays similar to what he was using in the Indy road game.... He certainly would've made do if Hoyer had went down with injury..... For whatever reason, OB was not going to yank Hoyer even though millions could see that he (Hoyer) wasn't on his game, was totally puckered up and wasn't going to get it back.... Sort of a case of the captain going down with the ship......

-------------------------------------------------

I think they're are a few "seniors" on our team that need to go (lookin' at you Nate Washington). I've always been averse to coaches that use the go-with-the-seniors mentality in crunch time while the younger, athletic, higher-upside guy rots on the bench...........

At one point, the thought crossed my mind to just run the damn ball every single play and turn off the passing game. It probably would've resulted in a score in one situation and minimized the turnovers in others..
Old 01-10-2016, 12:20 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
At one point, the thought crossed my mind to just run the damn ball every single play and turn off the passing game. It probably would've resulted in a score in one situation and minimized the turnovers in others..
I'm sure you saw that Hoyer's passer rating would have better than doubled had he simply thrown an incompletion on literally every offensive play.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:50 PM
All-Pro

I have led the Hoyer is garbage club all year. I thought he was a downgrade from Fitzpatrick. I thought he was worse than Mallett. After the preseason I thought he was worse than Savage. But it's dumb to think Brandon Weeded with half a playbook is going to do something against the NFL's best defense over the past 10 weeks. We lost that game when O'Brien chose this as his preferred QB situation and reinforced it by putting Savage on IR. Then he tried to get by with 1 backup and lost Yates. This assured we had only 1 QB with the playbook by January. We have only O'Brien/Smith and their QB moves to blame for Hoyer being on the field, but Weeden is never the answer.

Ditka at half time took a dump on us as a franchise and on O'Brien as a coach. Then he laughed and scoffed at the idea of pulling Hoyer and answered that we had nobody to go to.

Maybe it would have felt good to put in a new QB after half time, but it would have been pissing into the wind. This was a broken team from August 1. You don't win playoff games with Hoyer as plan A. McNair should be ashamed for selling us a wasted season, and O'Brien should be ashamed for cashing checks for 12 months without any real attempt at moving the franchise forward.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:29 PM
All-Pro

We know BOB likes artists with alliterative names. He likes Rick Ross. I hope he also likes Freddy Fender.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:07 PM
All-Pro

If I were to assess blame for this year it would all be on BOB. He pretty clearly made the choices that led to Hoyer being our QB.

Going forward, will be interesting what all the changes are.

I'm not in the trade Foster camp. By the end of the year top 3 draft picks for past two years started to show some promise.