IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Other 31 Teams

Old 03-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Regular Starter

Default Chester Taylor [Signed with Bears]

Heard this on 610 earlier.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/357153...s-player_news/

Quote:
The Lions and Texans are expected to "lead the charge" for free agent Chester Taylor.

Taylor was expected to continue talking with the Vikes, but he's now a prized commodity with Darren Sproles off the market. He'd start over Maurice Morris in Detroit while Kevin Smith (ACL surgery) works his way back. Houston is slightly surprising, as they've insisted their preference is for a young running back. Also believed to be interested: Bills, Broncos, Chiefs, Giants, Bears, and Steelers.
He is 30, but has never been the heavy load guy. Averages 4+ YPC every season but 2. Brings veteran leadership and may be a good third down guy in our system.

He is definately an upgrade over Brown, but at what cost? A 4-6M 2-3 year contract would be ok with me. Definately not who I would want as a feature back, but much better than Brown. Slaton, Foster, Moats, Henry, Johnson, Rookie draft pick... All of them are young and having a good vet, besides Brown, in camp or on the roster, who may actually be able to produce as a backup/change of pace guy, is definately preferable to rolling out a RB corps that can only muster a years worth of starts between them.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Pro Bowler

Interesting. So we could try for LT, Jones, Taylor, or use a pick on an RB.

I think Taylor is probably the best option considering he has experience being "the second RB" for so long. I don't think he'll have any opposition towards being one of a two-headed monster. Plus, he's got less tread on the tires.

Go for it, 4 mil a year + incentives? Hmm.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:23 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Interesting. So we could try for LT, Jones, Taylor, or use a pick on an RB.
Given that we've gotten several pressing needs (especially with Robinsons departure), there's appeal to renting a vet back back for a year or two and use that pick for another priority. Plus an experienced NFL back should be able to protect Schaub on passing downs in a way a rookie couldn't.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Administrator

via the chron's John McClain on Twitter:
Quote:
McClain_on_NFL
There's a report Texans are interested in RB Chester Taylor. Not true. For the umpteenth time, the Texans aren't interested in old backs.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:51 PM
All-Pro

Taylor is the last one I would choose of the veteran backs. He is an older Steve Slaton. He is basically useful on 3rd down, and I would hate to see Slaton off the field on 3rd down.

My guess is we sign a cheap vet and go with a rookie as well (I'd be suprised if it was a high pick though).
Old 03-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
My guess is we sign a cheap vet and go with a rookie as well (I'd be suprised if it was a high pick though).
Hasn't that been the plan all along? And how well has that worked out for us? It's time to spend the draft pick.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 PM
All-Pro

I concur that we won't be interested in an older back after the Ahman Green disaster. I could see us taking a back in the 2-3 round, possibly a bigger back who can help in short yardage. Ryan Matthews would seem ideal but I don't think he lasts until our spot in the second and I don't think he's good value for our 20th pick so I would only see us taking him with a trade down unless his stock falls (which has happened before to RBs on draft day as everyone shops for other positions).
Old 03-05-2010, 06:25 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
I concur that we won't be interested in an older back after the Ahman Green disaster. I could see us taking a back in the 2-3 round, possibly a bigger back who can help in short yardage. Ryan Matthews would seem ideal but I don't think he lasts until our spot in the second and I don't think he's good value for our 20th pick so I would only see us taking him with a trade down unless his stock falls (which has happened before to RBs on draft day as everyone shops for other positions).
I'd much rather take Gerhardt or Tate with the second-rounder and use the top pick on another positon than use the first-round pick on Matthews.
Everybody seems to be excited abot him but he sounds too much like Arian Foster to me (who of course we already have) while not being very effective inside the tackles.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:30 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Taylor is the last one I would choose of the veteran backs. He is an older Steve Slaton. He is basically useful on 3rd down, and I would hate to see Slaton off the field on 3rd down.

Barrett are you at all confidant that Slaton will be back this year, healthy and fit, or are you more of the mind that the best we can do is adopt a wait and see attitiude about his availability which is highly uncertain at this point ?
Old 03-05-2010, 09:23 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Barrett are you at all confidant that Slaton will be back this year, healthy and fit, or are you more of the mind that the best we can do is adopt a wait and see attitiude about his availability which is highly uncertain at this point ?
Not confident really. But enough so that I don't want to spend money on a guy who is old AND a 3rd down back.

Because in that scenario the best we can hope for is that Slaton is healthy and Taylor is still in his prime, and we are still looking for a feature back and are doubled up on 3rd down.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:40 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
we are still looking for a feature back
So you're of the "feature back" school of thought where a relatively large investment is made in single player (high Draft pick like first or second round) who's dominant even though he'd of course have some backup support vs an approach of dual backs who are roughly equivalent in terms of importance in the offense.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:05 PM
All-Pro

No.

I am of the opinion that you have to have a guy (or two), who can carry it effectively on 1st and 2nd down. A guy you can feature in your offense.

Slaton already had injury concerns and then he had his vertebrae surgically fused. He doesn't need to be putting his head down and churning out yards on 1st and 10. He needs to be catching screens, splitting out wide, and running draws. I doubt Slaton ever runs the same in traffic again. Knowing that putting your head down could mean another neck injury will do that to you. So keep him in space and let him be a matchup problem.

But we still need a guy (or two) to carry it between the tackles on 1st and 2nd down. Chester Taylor is not that guy.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Regular Starter

Looks like he went to the Bears. 4year 12M.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravix View Post
Looks like he went to the Bears. 4year 12M.
Yepper, from PFT:

Chester Taylor is a Chicago Bear
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 5, 2010 2:05 PM ET
Chester Taylor will stay in the NFC North.

The former Viking agreed to a four-year, $12 million contract with Chicago, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. $7 million is guaranteed in the first year.

The Bears are just getting their checkbook warmed up, with a deal for Julius Peppers on the way shortly.

Taylor's contract, like the one for Kyle Vanden Bosch, includes a lot of front-loaded money in the uncapped year. Look for Taylor and Matt Forte to split up the workload in Chicago next season.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
$7 million is guaranteed in the first year.
This reminds me of an internet cliche: Wow, just wow.

Glad the Texans passed on that.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
This reminds me of an internet cliche: Wow, just wow.

Glad the Texans passed on that.
True, but they also gave Peppers $41 mill guaranteed. A 30 year old, six year deal with big guaranteed money at a position that relies on the speed from his legs. There needs to be some sort of front office drug testing program. Between the Bears and the Falcons....... I think there is some very heavy drug use going on.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Regular Starter

Wow, as much as I wish we took Peppers over some guy named Carr, that is a ton of $ to give a guy at this stage of his career.

I wonder how much Mario will get on his next deal.