IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 07-14-2019, 10:38 PM
Hall of Fame

Default 2019 Training Camp Thread

11 days from now the Texans will begin training camp. Time flies when you're having fun, eh?

Texans announce dates and times for 2019 training camp:

Quote:
Houston Texans Training Camp presented by XFINITY will begin on Thursday, July 25 as the Texans take the field in preparation for the 2019 season.

Six training camp practices will be open to the public: Thursday, August 1; Saturday, August 3; Saturday, August 10; Sunday, August 11; Wednesday, August 14 and Thursday, August 15. The practices on Wednesday, August 14 and Thursday, August 15 will be joint practices with the Detroit Lions. All practices will begin at approximately 9:10 a.m. CT.

The Texans will also travel to Green Bay for joint practices with the Packers on Monday, August 5 and Tuesday, August 6 leading up to the first preseason game on Thursday, August 8.
More at link...
Old 07-26-2019, 10:12 AM
Hall of Fame

Harris Hits - Training Camp Day 1:

Quote:
It’s only the first day, but IT’S THE FIRST DAY! Training camp 2019 kicked off on an unusually, uh, chilly day at the Houston Methodist Training Center. Okay, so chilly isn’t quite right, but the heat volume wasn’t quite turned up as it typically is at the outset of training camp. And, by the way, it was good to be home here in Houston. Here are some Harris Hits to get you up to speed on what happened on Day 1.

When a Texans release was issued on Sunday evening that J.J. Watt was starting training camp on Active/PUP, we all hoped that it would be a short stay. Thankfully, it was. Marc Vandermeer and I were on the air with a clear view to the path the players were taking to the field when we saw No. 99 walking over, fully dressed as if he was planning on practice. And, practice he did. He said afterwards that he had always planned on being ready for Day 1 so the PUP designation was a little bit of a shock to him. Regardless, he batted down two passes that I saw (and there may have been more, too) and that left an impression on quarterback Deshaun Watson. The Texans signal caller said that Watt taught him a lesson as a result.............
More at link..
Old 07-26-2019, 11:05 AM
All-Pro

If you applied for training camp tickets then I believe today is the day you are notified if you received them. Hopefully this new method reduces the crowds a bit.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Yes, and if anyone attends a camp session, please post here how it went. Very curious.

And at a minimum, I'm glad the team is back in Houston for camp instead of West Virginia.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:29 PM
All-Pro

I applied for the 14th and 15th. I got both but was surprised it was only 2 seats for each one. Anybody get extras for Wednesday the 14th?

And I'll be happy to apply my extensive football knowledge to some training camp observations after I go. Although I think it might come out something like... "Deshaun Watson Good. Run Fast and Throw Far!"
Old 07-28-2019, 07:54 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
And I'll be happy to apply my extensive football knowledge to some training camp observations after I go. Although I think it might come out something like... "Deshaun Watson Good. Run Fast and Throw Far!"
John Harris parlayed those sorts of insights into a job.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:53 AM
Administrator

And no offense to Harris, but I much prefer our collective camp insights. We are not on the Texans payroll, nor do we depend on media access to put food on our tables.

I'm rather interested to hear how the OL develops over the next couple weeks.

This team has the potential to be 5-11 or 11-5. Hard to remember a season where I had as tough a time figuring out their squad.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:51 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
And no offense to Harris, but I much prefer our collective camp insights. We are not on the Texans payroll, nor do we depend on media access to put food on our tables.

I'm rather interested to hear how the OL develops over the next couple weeks.

This team has the potential to be 5-11 or 11-5. Hard to remember a season where I had as tough a time figuring out their squad.
To me that's the Deshaun Watson effect.

Whatever flaw I see, no matter how big, I can imagine Watson making that flaw irrelevant with his special play. I honestly think the best he has played is already better than any QB in the NFL. And if he does it enough to make the playoffs and then has a hot month I think we win the super bowl in spite of our 5-11 talent.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:01 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
To me that's the Deshaun Watson effect.

Whatever flaw I see, no matter how big, I can imagine Watson making that flaw irrelevant with his special play. I honestly think the best he has played is already better than any QB in the NFL. And if he does it enough to make the playoffs and then has a hot month I think we win the super bowl in spite of our 5-11 talent.
Wow barrett didn't know you had so much confidance in the Texans or maybe I should say Watson ? I don't see Watson even in the conversation with Mahomes as the top young QB in the league so surprised to see you say his best is better than all the others ?
I hope you are right about everything you say because nothing I'd like better than seeing the Texans make it to the SB.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:38 AM
All-Pro

Watson isn't the player Mahomes is at this point. Mahomes gets rid of the ball on time and makes off schedule plays. By getting rid of the ball he passes on the play making to big time play makers and lets them get hit.

Too often Watson holds the ball in anticipation of making an off schedule play. If he had a TE or RB who could make a play for him then that might improve some. Right now he has nobody in the short passing game and it makes him reliant on downfield big plays and intermediate plays. He needs to learn to let a play go and get them on the next one. His amazing talent leads him to think every play can be a winner.

But Watson combines one of the best deep balls in the league with the most escapability and that combo terrorizes defenses. They are left to defend for longer then 3 seconds against a guy who can drop a ball on the WRs head anywhere on the field. Put a healthy Will Fuller on the field for 16 games and I wouldn't be shocked to see him produce Mahomes numbers. Give him the full package of talent Mahomes plays with and I think he breaks the NFL even before he totally figures things out.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:55 PM
All-Pro

Foreman Cut.

We have zero talent at the position that is easiest and cheapest to acquire talent. Super weird.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:34 PM
All-Pro

CBS (and likely others) see it as an opening to acquire Melvin Gordon in trade with LAC.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:38 AM
Regular Starter

You don't need to cut Foreman to go after Gordon. One has nothing to do with the other, as one would be the starter making millions and the other is rookie deal back-up making 3rd round money.

And I would be very surprised if they make any run at Gordon considering the amount of draft capital it would take to acquire him as well as the contract he's after.

Seems like just the latest in a string of bumbling moves by them. It had been reported that he was not the most diligent rehabber and that their were some attitude issues. Throw in the fact that he was recovering from arguably the worst injury a RB can suffer, you would think the Texans would have done something to prepare for the possibility that he wouldn't cut it. But no, here we are again with a position group completely and predictably decimated.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:34 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
You don't need to cut Foreman to go after Gordon. One has nothing to do with the other, as one would be the starter making millions and the other is rookie deal back-up making 3rd round money.

And I would be very surprised if they make any run at Gordon considering the amount of draft capital it would take to acquire him as well as the contract he's after.

Seems like just the latest in a string of bumbling moves by them. It had been reported that he was not the most diligent rehabber and that their were some attitude issues. Throw in the fact that he was recovering from arguably the worst injury a RB can suffer, you would think the Texans would have done something to prepare for the possibility that he wouldn't cut it. But no, here we are again with a position group completely and predictably decimated.
The backup RBs need to play ST. So if you get Gordon then Foreman is less valuable then all of the various camp flotsam since he doesn't play ST.

But I am in full agreement that our RB depth chart is sad.

And finally it doesn't sound like the release had anything to do with health but rather with attitude.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:47 PM
Hall of Fame

Harris Hits: Day 1 in Green Bay

Quote:
The Texans took the training camp show on the road, all the way to Green Bay for Monday’s workout and what a day it was! It started with the Texans (and Packers, of course) on bikes and ended with one of the best catches on the day by a rookie tight end. I was writing notes furiously, so let me try to decipher my notes and pound out some Harris Hits from the great state of Wisconsin......................

One of the best throws from Deshaun Watson during the day was a dart he threw to tight end Jordan Akins during that 11-on-11 drill. The second-year tight end had just one step on the defender and Watson threw a dime that Akins snatched for a first down............

As we watched practice, my dad said to me “hey, who’s number 11?” Watching the other end of the field, I just responded with “Stevie Mitchell. Why?” My dad goes “he’s catching everything.” So, I turned that direction and right on cue, quarterback AJ McCarron dropped a deep ball right into Mitchell’s lap for a touchdown. Then, on the very next play, Mitchell took a quick hitch and seemed to run upfield by everyone for a huge gain. Number 11 continues to make an impression in this training camp, including on my pops...........................
More at link....
Old 08-08-2019, 10:20 AM
Hall of Fame

The Houston Texans signed free agent QB Jordan Ta'amu (Ole Miss). (McCarron has a bit of a hand injury, I believe).

The Houston Texans waived C D.J. Coker.

Texans sign RB Duke Johnson from the Browns for a 4th round pick. More of a pass catcher than a rusher it seems...

----------------------------------------------------------

Training Camp Day 10: Notes and Quotes:

Quote:
The Texans and the Packers wrapped up their second joint practice in full pads on Tuesday. J.J. Watt did not participate as a precautionary measure because of a groin issue that limited him during Monday’s practice. Cornerback Lonnie Johnson also did not dress out, but is expected to play in Thursday’s preseason game in Green Bay.

“I thought we got a little bit better, a little bit more situational work today,” Bill O’Brien said Tuesday. “That’s what we’re asking our guys to do, is to just try to get better every day. We had red area today, two-minute, punt, punt return. We worked a lot of different first-, second-, third-down situations. The young guys got a lot of reps there at the end of the team periods and at the end of practice. So, I thought it was a good day.”

DeAndre Hopkins said Keke Coutee was the most improved player on the offense. Deshaun Watson felt the same about the second-year wide receiver.
More at link..
Old 08-08-2019, 11:40 AM
All-Pro

I think we overpaid with a 4th rounder but Johnson is a legitimate receiving back. His presence will hopefully help Watson get rid of the ball by providing a guy who can catch a short pass. Our TE/pass catching RBs were brutal before this.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:40 AM
All-Pro

Watched most of practice today.

Bernard McKinney is a huge human being. He also has a ton of fun out there.

Jordan Thomas is whatever is like 2 levels bigger than a huge human being. The guy dwarfs the linemen.

The TEs and Safeties went at it on my end of the field so I missed the WR/DBs. Jerell Adams is fast for a TE and ran great routes. He killed every DB he matched up with. Jordan Thomas can't get an inch of separation against man coverage.

In the team portion our offense looked good. Watson hit Fuller and Hopkins for nice gains over the middle. Fuller also had a play where he lined in tight to the line and then just ran a fade into the space outside. He wasn't 'open' but Watson threw it to the boundary and Fuller easily beat the DB to the ball for a beautiful play that was impossible to cover. And the ball came out on time in spite of no obvious read. Against our defense the Lions couldn't throw the ball at all. On almost half of the pass plays stafford ended up being flushed to his right and throwing on the run to nobody. They did gouge us on 1 run play where the guy went to the house even with 2 hand touch rules.

I hadn't been to a practice in 4 years and the atmosphere was way better. It seems like they cut the number of 'tickets' in half and the smaller crowd was way more fun. I also loved the shade over the bleachers.

Last edited by barrett; 08-14-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:48 PM
All-Pro

And I forgot to add earlier that while watching the LBs work zone coverage drops I was struck that the assistant coach throwing the passes was built like an action figure. He was so huge I pulled up the list of assistants to figure out who he was.

Brian Cushing.

Let me just say our assistant strength coach looks fully qualified and also looks like he shouldn't pee in a cup any time soon.

Last edited by barrett; 08-14-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I hadn't been to a practice in 4 years and the atmosphere was way better. It seems like they cut the number of 'tickets' in half and the smaller crowd was way more fun. I also loved the shade over the bleachers.
This is encouraging. Thanks for sharing. Very happy the team is back from the Greenbriar.

The development of the young TEs is something I am very interested in following.

I have a hard time reconciling that head coaches allow their star players to compete in these joint practices where tickets are usually free, yet paying fans don't get that in the preseason games. Some two-handed touch vs. tackling sure, but I've also seen some hitting in these joint workouts, too.

Sorry for the off topic rant, but when 20% of your season ticket prices goes to that fake game garbage, I feel justified complaining.