IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 07-15-2019, 08:10 AM
All-Pro

Default OL Play

https://www.espn.com/blog/houston-te...ve-lines-fault

I know I went back and forth with a few of you about the Texans OL not being as bad as the sack number indicated due to Watson's style of play and how often similar QBs are sacked.

This article focuses on an NFL Next Gen stat that measures pass block win rate. They call it a win if you hold your block for 2.5 seconds, the amount it takes an NFL QB to throw a pass on average. The Texans as a team were 16th in this metric. The only player they had far below league average was Mancz. Martin was their best.

I don't take this to mean they are good or we didn't need to improve. Obviously our OL and our QB don't match up and we need way more talent on OL if we are going to have a QB that holds the ball longer than anyone else in the NFL. Not having more talent was a front office failure and I'm glad we started addressing that. Hopefully it pays off some this year. But either way the comparison of this OL to the expansion team one was idiotic.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:25 AM
All-Pro

Nick Martin is the only Texans OL who would play meaningful snaps on a team with a good OL. From the 2002 team, DeMingo Graham was the one and only stiff on the OL. Weary was OK when healthy. The other three guys were good enough to have played or did play on good OLs.

You seem awfully interested in highlighting how long Deshaun holds the ball. What is your recollection regarding that element of quarterback play in 2002?

Your contention that the team's outright refusal to put together anything resembling a competent offensive line is not an absolute systemic failure because Deshaun is a scrambler is just bizarre.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:24 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Nick Martin is the only Texans OL who would play meaningful snaps on a team with a good OL. From the 2002 team, DeMingo Graham was the one and only stiff on the OL. Weary was OK when healthy. The other three guys were good enough to have played or did play on good OLs.

You seem awfully interested in highlighting how long Deshaun holds the ball. What is your recollection regarding that element of quarterback play in 2002?

Your contention that the team's outright refusal to put together anything resembling a competent offensive line is not an absolute systemic failure because Deshaun is a scrambler is just bizarre.
I said in my post not having more OL talent is a front office failure. It's literally the post you replied to when you said I won't say it's a failure. We even used the same word to describe it.

My only issue in this entire thing is using sacks as the only means of judging an OL. When you have a mobile QB sacks become a bad measure of OL play. The Cowboys have had a great OL and still been bottom 5 in sacks. Seattle and GB are average and are bottom 5 in sacks. Houston is bad on the OL and because of it they are worse then bottom 5, they are dead last by a margin. But they are not awful. They are a bottom 10 OL in the league. That might be a strange nit to pick, but the stats support it either way.

But even if they were the 10th best line by talent (and they're a million miles from that), it'd still be a front office failure because they are not assembling a paper team. They have the best QB talent in football and if his unique style of play means we need the best OL in football to keep him alive, then that should be priority 1.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:13 PM
All-Pro

My only concern is that they reached for two OTs from small schools that they hope to develop rather than making the trade-up to get the more pro-ready prospect. How many broken ribs and punctured lungs will Watson suffer while waiting for these guys to grow into their roles?
Old 07-16-2019, 01:53 PM
Hall of Fame

I think they've (the front office) realized the error of their ways. Two tackles taken early in the draft... I suspect (hope) they will be used in at least a rotational capacity to get them indoctrinated quickly. Sounds to me like they want Tytus Howard to get a lot playing time if not be the game #1 starter but Max Scharping might be the real gem...

They acquired Matt Kalil and if he is healthy, that would be an added bonus. A healthy Seantrel Henderson could add minutes.... Both of these guys add support if the rookies lose their way....

Martinas Rankin is a year older and should be coming into his own....

So, as far as the OL goes, the seeds have been planted..... I'm bullish on the OL group improving this year.....
Old 07-16-2019, 04:33 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
My only concern is that they reached for two OTs from small schools that they hope to develop rather than making the trade-up to get the more pro-ready prospect. How many broken ribs and punctured lungs will Watson suffer while waiting for these guys to grow into their roles?
Brian Gains failure to draft PC10 OT Andre Dillard in the first round and instead end up with Tyrus Howard is likely one of the reasons he's standing in an unemployment today.