IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Hall of Fame

Default Chronicle: Antwaun Molden

Good article in the chron today about Antwaun Molden:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5769146.html

I'm thinking Dunta could really help this guy make the transition to the pros...
Old 05-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Pro Bowler

Dunta did it for Fred Bennet, why not do it for Antwaun Molden? I'm sure that is what he will do.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Regular Starter

We may have found another jem like Bennet. Sure would be nice.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Dunta did it for Fred Bennet, why not do it for Antwaun Molden? I'm sure that is what he will do.
because he doesn't want to learn how to play free safety? because if molden is good, and bennett continues that's exactly where he's going to play.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
because he doesn't want to learn how to play free safety? because if molden is good, and bennett continues that's exactly where he's going to play.
You really think Dunta rides that way? I seriously doubt it.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
I know we'd like to think that way, and Dunta has always seemed like a team player to me......but he's got a contract coming up, and the difference between a CB franchise tag and a Safety is about 5 million. Even if he signs an extension he'll get more money as a corner. A guy who's coming off a major injury might have that thought in the back of his mind that his career could be over at any time and want to get as much as possible while he can. I really couldn't hold it against him either.

Last edited by papabear; 05-20-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Regular Starter

if daunte is 100% then he will be one of our starting safeties, no matter who else the texans have on the roster.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadams View Post
if daunte is 100% then he will be one of our starting safeties, no matter who else the texans have on the roster.
I just cant believe that this would happen.

I am not saying that if Bennet, Moulden, Reeves just happen to turn out to be shut down corners that I wouldnt mind seeing Dunta at S, but it just seems way out there. Dunta doesnt want to play S, and I cant help but think that he would find another team that would play him at the position he prefers once his contract is up. Would moving him to S for a year be worth losing that ammount of talent the next year?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
not totally no, but i do think he takes care of himself like everyone else would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
I know we'd like to think that way, and Dunta has always seemed like a team player to me......but he's got a contract coming up, and the difference between a CB franchise tag and a Safety is about 5 million. Even if he signs an extension he'll get more money as a corner. A guy who's coming off a major injury might have that thought in the back of his mind that his career could be over at any time and want to get as much as possible while he can. I really couldn't hold it against him either.
i hate this thought because it's totally possible, but i have to say i think he would be willing to do whatever the coaches wanted as long as he felt that he was taken care of. which i also believe he deserves...maybe not a capbusting deal but rick smith can find a way to make him feel satisfied with any contract.

Quote:
that's just silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravix View Post
I just cant believe that this would happen.

I am not saying that if Bennet, Moulden, Reeves just happen to turn out to be shut down corners that I wouldnt mind seeing Dunta at S, but it just seems way out there. Dunta doesnt want to play S, and I cant help but think that he would find another team that would play him at the position he prefers once his contract is up. Would moving him to S for a year be worth losing that ammount of talent the next year?
i haven't heard dunta saying anything like that, can you provide a link please?

to answer your question-no. if he really kicks and screams and threatens leaving over it and his talent is still...hell...if his talent is still 80% there he is still a positive on the field at corner or safety. he's not worth losing unless he just wants to go.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:

to answer your question-no. if he really kicks and screams and threatens leaving over it and his talent is still...hell...if his talent is still 80% there he is still a positive on the field at corner or safety. he's not worth losing unless he just wants to go.
i don't have the link, but go to chron.com, McClain did a piece on it.

Last edited by cadams; 05-20-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:

I think you meant to say Cornerback....not safety
Old 05-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
you are correct, now i understand the silly comment, and i agree. that's what i get for not proofreading. thank you sir.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
i don't have the link, but go to chron.com, McClain did a piece on it.
oooh....i'd rather not. if you say it's there i'll believe you but i'm....just not ever going to be interested in something enough to read his blabbering opinion about it.

that aside, maybe dunta is using this as motivation? like "i WILL comeback, and as a corner!" instead of "i hope i'll at least be able to play safety"

i'm fine with that, i'm fine with dunta as a corner. fact remains that he is not ever going to have the same mobility with his leg and that matters. especially if guys on your defense are playing as well/better than you. the good news is that dunta (to this point) has been the complete team player, a leader, a teacher, so on...and rick smith is a cap genius, so all of this will be figured out in a way that nobody has hurt feelings or wallets!

Quote:
Old 05-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:

I looked for it and cant find it. But I am almost positive that he was asked, during an interview, if he were to come back missing some of the ability he had what he thought about playing safety instead.

His response was something along the lines that he is a corner not a safety and was comming back a corner.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Pro Bowler

Yeah, that's the way I remember it too. Dunta has too much pride to just take a backseat to anyone. Having said that, I hope the Texans make darn sure that leg is OK. I don't want another fiasco like Dominick Davis (...errr Williams), who got a big contract, then never played another down.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Yeah, that's the way I remember it too. Dunta has too much pride to just take a backseat to anyone. Having said that, I hope the Texans make darn sure that leg is OK. I don't want another fiasco like Dominick Davis (...errr Williams), who got a big contract, then never played another down.
Even though DRob has had no serious injury history and hasnt missed any games before this, I would like to think that this FO is beyond absurd offerings like that. Good thing is, if he does come back mid season like projected both sides will have a better feeling on where they stand when negotiations come up. I am pretty sure that had Dunta not gotten hurt last year his contract would have been extended already, especially given the insane ammounts of money and the rate of yearly increase for CB's.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:28 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
i would exactly call it a backseat. in fact, it seems to make more sense than playing him at corner if our current roster develops like it should. if molden turns out we would have 3 big, fast corners with ball skills and probably some decent wood laying too. if dunta turns to safety (whatever he recovers of) his athleticism would be unleashed! he would be an interception/big hit waiting to happen on every play instead of whenever they pass to his man. you lose his coverage on the corner but gain much from the move. namely an oppurtunity to get a bright young kid experience while not changing the personnel foundation of your backfield of bennett/robinson/demps

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravix View Post
Even though DRob has had no serious injury history and hasnt missed any games before this, I would like to think that this FO is beyond absurd offerings like that. Good thing is, if he does come back mid season like projected both sides will have a better feeling on where they stand when negotiations come up. I am pretty sure that had Dunta not gotten hurt last year his contract would have been extended already, especially given the insane ammounts of money and the rate of yearly increase for CB's.
agreed totally. and he would deserve it with that pro bowl selection!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Pro Bowler

You may be right, but I just don't see Dunta giving up on CB without a big fight. That was what I meant by "basckseat". Not that he wouldn't play FS if it was for the good of the team.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:26 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
You may be right, but I just don't see Dunta giving up on CB without a big fight. That was what I meant by "basckseat". Not that he wouldn't play FS if it was for the good of the team.
yea, i agree with you.

but if it comes to it and we have the wonderful problem of molden developing well, i sure would like to see him, bennett and dunta together flying around the backfield! i hope no egos would stand in the way of that!

maybe molden should play safety?
Old 05-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Pro Bowler

I just don't see any reason for any of these CB's to have to play FS. We've got Demps there now, the two Brandon's were supposedly taken with one of the safeties in mind, plus there are some others, so where exactly is the need? I just don't understand your harping on Dunta shifting to FS.