IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2018, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Default Bob McNair has passed

Owner Bob McNair passed away today. As a Houstonian, I will forever be grateful for his efforts to bring the NFL back to Houston. The mid-to late-90s were a dark time for pro football fans of Houston. Not a lot of sympathy for us nationally, and it seemed almost inevitable that the 32nd franchise was destined for Los Angeles. While there were countless others in support, it was McNair who led the effort.

Would assume his son Cal takes ownership responsibilities though Bob is survived by his wife Janice.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:50 PM
Hall of Fame

Texans owner Bob McNair dies

Quote:
Texans owner and founder Bob McNair died Friday afternoon, the team announced.

McNair was 81 years old.

McNair had dealt with skin cancer for several years and spent time in a hospital this year. He had been away from the team for several months.

McNair's son, Cal McNair, is the chief operating officer and has been a fixture at practice and games for years.

McNair is survived by his wife, Janice, sons Cal and Cary, daughters Ruth and Melissa and 15 grandchildren and two great grandsons.

"Mr. McNair was an amazing man who made tremendous contributions to the NFL and the city of Houston," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said in a statement. "He was a very caring, thoughtful and passionate individual. As much as he cared about winning, I think the thing I will remember most about Mr. McNair is the way he cared about the players. I know how much giving back meant to him and his loyalty and generosity to the city of Houston and our community will never be forgotten. My thoughts and prayers are with Janice and the McNair family."

McNair was awarded an expansion franchise on Oct. 5, 1999 by unanimous vote. The Texans' inaugural season was in 2002.

McNair was chairman of the NFL finance committee and a member of the audit, compensation and chairman committees.

McNair was a leading philanthropist, giving more than $500 million to scientific, literary, educational and faith-based organizations.

"We lost an incredible man today," Texans team president Jamey Rootes said. "Bob McNair had a positive impact on so many people's lives. He was a role model as a father, husband, philanthropist and businessman. He was the reason professional football returned to Houston and he stewarded our franchise with a laser focus on honesty, integrity and high character.
More at link.

I was wondering about this as we hadn't heard too much from the owners circle lately.... RIP, Bob, I'll remember you as the guy who brought football back to Houston and donated ½ billion to good causes...
Old 11-23-2018, 08:43 PM
All-Pro

I'm sure Chuck will be by shortly to share his deepest regrets and heartfelt thoughts. I am happy that Houston could find an NFL owner who could emulate the suck-make the playoffs-suck-make the playoffs-suck make the playoffs cycle that was the style of Bud Adams, only classier. He will be missed.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:23 AM
All-Pro

Rest in Peace Mr. Bob McNair. Condolences to your family.

I too really appreciated you bringing the NFL back to Houston, running a model organization, and being a super philantrhrophic Houstonian.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn....3fplatform=amp
Old 12-06-2018, 12:22 PM
All-Pro

Thank you Mr. McNair, RIP.