IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 04-20-2009, 09:08 PM
All-Pro

Default NFL Draftsite 7 round mock

This was one of the most unusual mock drafts that I've seen, so It's as good as anybody else's guess.

http://www.nfldraftsite.com/

Who I drafted.....
15. WR Jeremy Maclin Missouri
46. OC Eric Wood Louisville
77. RB Andre Brown NC State
112. S Chip Vaughn Wake Forest
122. S David Bruton Notre Dame
152. LB Dannell Ellerbe Georgia
188. DT Corvey Irvin Georgia
223. QB Stephen McGee Texas A&M
Old 04-20-2009, 11:00 PM
All-Pro

I guess I'd be very surprized if we went offense the first three rounds, just depends how draft goes I suppose. Those are three good players, just hoping we have someone on defense ranked higher as value when we pick and hoping we do a trade down or two to get more 2-3 round picks.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:27 PM
All-Pro

Honestly this is close to how I see it could happen.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:33 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
I guess I'd be very surprized if we went offense the first three rounds
Virtually impossible scenario IMO.
More and more people looking for Jeremy McClin to be taken in the top 10, but if he somehow lasted to 15 and the Texans couldn't stand the thought of life without taking him, the pressure to meet their needs on defense (to include an edge rusher, LB, and DB) would all but preempt any thought of going offense again in their next 2 picks.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:29 PM
All-Pro

I guess I need to clarify my position. When I look at the mocks and how the guys are falling, the BPA when we are picking is usually an offensive prospect. I do not think the team will go that way at all. I just can see a mock going with pure BPA having us go offense heavy in the early rounds.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:37 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
The pressure to meet their needs on defense (to include an edge rusher, LB, and DB) would all but preempt any thought of going offense again in their next 2 picks.
How about this....

46. S William Moore Missouri
77. DE Cody Brown Connecticut
112. RB Rashad Jennings Liberty
122. LB Dannell Ellerbe Georgia
152. DT Corvey Irvin Georgia
188. S C.J. Spillman Marshall
223. TE John Phillips Virginia
Old 04-21-2009, 07:37 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
How about this....

46. S William Moore Missouri
77. DE Cody Brown Connecticut
112. RB Rashad Jennings Liberty
122. LB Dannell Ellerbe Georgia
152. DT Corvey Irvin Georgia
188. S C.J. Spillman Marshall
223. TE John Phillips Virginia
Better, but like everybody else I've got reservations about drafting a guy this year based upon his performnce in years prior to last season ? And I'd much rather the first DB we draft be a corner.
Now Cody Brown is the perfect kinda player I want us to get with our third-rounder if possible. He's obviously a situational guy for us and while a third-round pick is very valuable property, its not too much to use to take a shot at the kind of player that while a non-starter may be the missing link in our efforts to put pressure on the QBs. But with all the teams going the way of 3-4, we'll be very fortunate if he or anyone like him is available in the third. But RP you got yourself a heart-felt "atta-boy" from this poster for your choice of Brown.
BTW, with 2 of your first 3 guys from Mizzou I gotta ask "did the best Tiger on their 2008 roster stay in school" ? I dunno if you saw Wtherspoon much last year, but I wish we could get our hands on that OLB to play for us?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
This was one of the most unusual mock drafts that I've seen, so It's as good as anybody else's guess.

http://www.nfldraftsite.com/

Who I drafted.....
46. OC Eric Wood Louisville
77. RB Andre Brown NC State
112. S Chip Vaughn Wake Forest
122. S David Bruton Notre Dame
152. LB Dannell Ellerbe Georgia
188. DT Corvey Irvin Georgia
223. QB Stephen McGee Texas A&M

This one is too obnoxious, it has EWood available for us in round 4 and K. Sheets, Javaris Williams, Ian Johnson, Peerman, PJHill all available after we pick in the 6th or 7th rounds. Also, considering Freeman slips into round 2 and Sanchez goes at 20, I'd say there is no way we stay put and take Maclin at 15- there will be some kind of offer for Sanchez.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:56 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
And I'd much rather the first DB we draft be a corner.

BTW, with 2 of your first 3 guys from Mizzou I gotta ask "did the best Tiger on their 2008 roster stay in school" ? I dunno if you saw Wtherspoon much last year, but I wish we could get our hands on that OLB to play for us?

The CBs that I'd draft in the 2nd round are Asher Allen or Keenan Lewis. I think that they have similar talent and one could be available in the 3rd or even 4th round, according to some mock drafts. My problem is that I want a hard hitting Safety like Moore or Vaughn really badly and possibly both since I think Moore could play FS. I've compromised by only getting one here since I don't have extra draft picks to play with.

As for Sean Weatherspoon, that kid can play. I was hoping he'd declare once Taylor Mays decided he was going back to USC. That way we could draft 'Spoon this year and Mays next draft. It will be a sad situation if these guys have a let down Senior Performance like William Moore did. Moore was a top 10 guy going into this draft only to now be doubted at #46.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I guess I need to clarify my position. When I look at the mocks and how the guys are falling, the BPA when we are picking is usually an offensive prospect. I do not think the team will go that way at all. I just can see a mock going with pure BPA having us go offense heavy in the early rounds.
That is also pretty close to how I see it. So, if we don't go offense in the first at #15, I hope that Rick Smith tries very hard to trade down to #20 and Pick Mathews. while picking up an extra second, or third round pick like last year.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Regular Starter

I have us taking Rey Maualuga if he's there at 15. ... noticed some "signs" that he'll be our guy if he's there. IMO, he's the best out of the USC corp. He has the best instincts for the ball and is a dominant run-stopper and blitzer.
I could easily see our draft go like:

1. Rey Maualuga MLB
2. Eric Wood OC
3. L. Sidbury DE
4a. Gerald McRath OLB
4b. James Davis RB
5. Derek Pegues FS
6. Deon Butler WR
7. Terrill Byrd DT
Old 04-23-2009, 08:51 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
That is also pretty close to how I see it. So, if we don't go offense in the first at #15, I hope that Rick Smith tries very hard to trade down to #20 and Pick Mathews. while picking up an extra second, or third round pick like last year.
I hope he doesn't. The only way he starts at WIL ahead of both the X-man and Cato is in the form of an early Christtmas present, but guess
that happens often with first picks.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:37 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I hope he doesn't. The only way he starts at WIL ahead of both the X-man and Cato is in the form of an early Christtmas present, but guess
that happens often with first picks.
He'd be able to beat both of them out by Christmas. However, I'm getting signals that the Texans might be thinking about using him as a SAM. Go figure.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:40 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwood View Post
I have us taking Rey Maualuga if he's there at 15. ... noticed some "signs" that he'll be our guy if he's there. IMO, he's the best out of the USC corp. He has the best instincts for the ball and is a dominant run-stopper and blitzer.
I could easily see our draft go like:

1. Rey Maualuga MLB
2. Eric Wood OC
3. L. Sidbury DE
4a. Gerald McRath OLB
4b. James Davis RB
5. Derek Pegues FS
6. Deon Butler WR
7. Terrill Byrd DT
Rey Rey is a MIKE only and to complicate it more, a 2 down MIKE in a 4-3, so are you planning on moving Ryans to WILL, and paying 1st round money to a part time player?

Just so you are clear, Rey Rey was on my preseason short list, he and William Moore. IMO he does not fit our teams needs.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:42 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
He'd be able to beat both of them out by Christmas. However, I'm getting signals that the Texans might be thinking about using him as a SAM. Go figure.
A SAM who can put his hand down on 3rd down.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:00 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Rey Rey is a MIKE only and to complicate it more, a 2 down MIKE in a 4-3, so are you planning on moving Ryans to WILL, and paying 1st round money to a part time player?

Just so you are clear, Rey Rey was on my preseason short list, he and William Moore. IMO he does not fit our teams needs.
I want to add, if the team where to take a MIKE in the 1st it more likely would be James Laurinaitis. He can attach a play from the outside, so he can be a SAM, or a lessor WILL. Plus the team had him come in for a visit. I have not heard of the team having Rey Rey in and they did attend the his proday.

They are either throwing a huge smokescreen, or they ...........
Old 04-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
I never doubted that SAM was where they would use Mathews. I could see him with his hand in the dirt on 3rd, backed up by Cato playing the SAM with X-man on the Will in a pass rush go get'em formation. Or if we pick up someone like Sidbury, he is in on 3rd because he can cover and shoot off the corner if needed. Probably why I like Mathews most of the USC backers, just seems more versatile and to fit what we need better.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:

I though so too, but recently I heard reports he's on the Texans "shortlist", whatever that means... I guess they feel they can move Ryans to SAM, and plug Rey Rey in the middle to better defend the run. Rey is the best run stopper in the USC bunch and has proven himself the last three years, where as Matthews still is somewhat new at the position(OLB) and probably the weakest against the run. I think we ranked 26th against the run, which is the area they most want to improve, along with the secondary and pass rush. All we've heard is Matthews, when it's really probably Rey they want and helping Matthews draft stock in the process. Now if Rey and M. Jenkins are gone, I see us trading down and probably taking whoever is left out of Matthews, J. Laurinitis, or D. Butler.

Then again, who really knows..........
Old 04-24-2009, 06:41 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
A SAM who can put his hand down on 3rd down.
I just have to wonder what we'd have to do to get Cliff Avril from the Lions in a trade. Considering how much we got to see Antwaun Molden last season, we may have been better served drafting Avril in the 3rd. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20, I suppose.

If we do draft Matthews to play SAM/DE, then I sure hope we are able to garner an extra 3rd round pick out of the deal. That way we can get a RB and a player for the Secondary.