IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2012, 12:17 PM
All-Pro

Default Rang's First Mock. At #27, We Pick...

Quote:
Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis: The Texans have emerged as one of the NFL's best teams, but run defense remains a concern as the team doesn't have a dominant nose guard. Poe, at 6-5 and 350 pounds, possesses a rare combination of size, strength and athleticism and would surely intrigue the Texans and any other teams in search of a nose guard, should he leave Memphis early.
CBS Profile of Poe

Rang's Mock

Note that there's no assurance that we pick at #27 but that seems to be where we will be unless one of the teams picking ahead of us reaches the Super Bowl or we reach the Super Bowl.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Regular Starter

Based on that pick, he is one of those guys that doesn't understand how Wade's defense works. Not that there is anything wrong with having a guy like that, but not with our number 1 pick. IMO, that needs to go for either the best WR or CB on the board when we pick and I would lean towards the WR.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Based on that pick, he is one of those guys that doesn't understand how Wade's defense works.
Excellent point. Actually, if the team wanted an interior D-lineman, the guy Rang has going to the Pats at 28 would make more sense (plus he's more from further southeast where Dale Strahm likes his prey):
Quote:
Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State: Cox will appeal to Bill Belichick for various reasons, not the least of which is the fact that the 6-4, 295-pound junior is just scratching the surface of his potential. And make no mistake, the potential is there for Cox to be a star. The Bulldog defensive tackle earned the SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week four times this season and is highly regarded by scouts because of his size, strength and ability to play inside or out in multiple fronts. That type of versatility will also certainly intrigue Belichick.
Easily the top need though is at CB. Sure they have needs at other positions, but a first round pick should probably start immediately, and there is a Help Wanted sign hanging around Kareem Jackson's neck right now.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:12 PM
All-Pro

I don't believe Smith will admit he was wrong on Jackson yet. They spent the last 6 weeks trying to trumpet his "improved" play. Not to mention they buried Brandon Harris (a 2nd rounder) in the name of keeping Kareem on the field. CB would be my choice, but I think it is very unlikely we go CB on day 1 or 2.

I don't like WR #1 and have given a ton of reasons so I won't repeat them all. If we did go WR though in my opinion it has to be a big time return guy who can make a huge impact there since the #2 WR in our offense does not get a ton of balls and we go 2 TE a ton.

I would be happy going OL #1. Either the best Guard or Tackle (that would move Winston inside).

I don't see DT as a huge need since our NT only plays about 30% of the snaps and Watt and Smith are great inside on passing downs. Same with MLB.

I would go QB if I fell in love with a guy who could be had, but again I highly doubt we go that direction.

So since I don't think our front office will go CB or QB (my top 2 needs)...

I would trade down if someone else had a guy they had to have (like Denver moving up for Tebow 2 years ago to about where we are at).

Or if I can't trade down, I would go BPA at OG, OT, NT, MLB (get cheaper, younger and better suited to a 34 than Demeco), WR/KR/PR.

Last edited by barrett; 01-05-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:01 PM
All-Pro

This far down in the first round, a trade down into the early second round is a really good move. The difference between first-round money and second-round money can be significant and we would be able to add a 3rd or a next year's second in the deal.

If there's no gotta-have guy in our spot, I'd strongly advise it.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:29 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
This far down in the first round, a trade down into the early second round is a really good move. The difference between first-round money and second-round money can be significant and we would be able to add a 3rd or a next year's second in the deal.

If there's no gotta-have guy in our spot, I'd strongly advise it.
Trouble with trying to trade down is someone else has to be trying to trade up. In this draft as I see it falling right now, I am not seeing that guy that a team in the early 2nd round must have to trade up for. In the mid 20s of this draft, there is no OG worth taking at this time, there does not appear to be that QB that is not a a top 10 pick but could be a first rounder that is slipping.

There are WRs, CBs and RB galore in the late 1st this year.

Now I know all of my ranking will change with the all star games and the combine, so ignore what I am saying right now. But I am looking forward to us getting lucky and landing a guy like Jeffery when we pick.

BTW if we get lucky and go to the AFC championship or further then all bets are off as to who we pick.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:00 AM
All-Pro

Patience, PK. It's only January and there's always movement between then and now - a workout warrior who climbs the charts, a guy everyone thought would be gone the first day who is still on the board, needs that pop up through free agency moves. There's always somebody chomping at the bit to move up and get some guy before anyone else does but it's way too early to know who or for what.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Trading down has less financial allure now with the new CBA. First round picks will not be as expensive as they were before.

And while adding an extra pick would be nice in a trade down scenario (esp given the added confidence we should have from the 2011 draft haul), if there is a good CB available 5-10 picks before the Texans select, trading up may not be that poor of a notion.

Of course the Texans are not 'one player away', but they are sure a heck of a lot closer than any of us thought they were even six months ago. One promising CB could be worth it. The Texans hit jackpot in FA signing Joseph, but FA CBs are expensive.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:55 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Trouble with trying to trade down is someone else has to be trying to trade up. In this draft as I see it falling right now, I am not seeing that guy that a team in the early 2nd round must have to trade up for. In the mid 20s of this draft, there is no OG worth taking at this time, there does not appear to be that QB that is not a a top 10 pick but could be a first rounder that is slipping.

There are WRs, CBs and RB galore in the late 1st this year.

Now I know all of my ranking will change with the all star games and the combine, so ignore what I am saying right now. But I am looking forward to us getting lucky and landing a guy like Jeffery when we pick.

BTW if we get lucky and go to the AFC championship or further then all bets are off as to who we pick.
Does Jeffrey return kicks or punts? I really think that anyone we draft needs to have that ability. The #2 WR does not get a ton of balls in our run first offense, and we play as many 2 and 3 TE sets as anyone in the NFL. So I really don't see any WR having a huge visible impact on offense unless we change the gameplan to get them the ball (and any gameplan where we run it less is bad for this team).

But if a guy has Dez Bryant/Patrick Peterson return skills, he can impact the game in a huge way on special teams, have a modest offensive impact, and still be worth the pick and be viewed as a contributor. Not to mention anyone we draft is likely the replacement to JJ, leaving us with nobody at PR and little at KR already since we stopped using Manning. Special teams is one of the areas are team can be upgraded the quickest and WR/KR/PR is the only special teams role that can be justified in the 1st round unless you are the raiders.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:57 AM
All-Pro

I'm with barrett in that I don't think the team sees CB as a need, or at least they aren't ready to admit that it is. I guess we'll see by their actions in the draft.

Where I differ from barrett is that I generally don't like to take OL very high, certainly not OL in a zone scheme. My reasoning is that an OL works together as a unit and you can find productive guys to fit the unit all over the draft board. With high picks I like to take guys with individual skills that operate individually, mainly cover corners and pass rushers. I would be good with a safety with exceptional speed and coverage abilities, and I suppose I would be good with the big WR I've been saying I want.

Of course Duane Brown worked out pretty well.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:41 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I'm with barrett in that I don't think the team sees CB as a need, or at least they aren't ready to admit that it is. I guess we'll see by their actions in the draft.

Where I differ from barrett is that I generally don't like to take OL very high, certainly not OL in a zone scheme. My reasoning is that an OL works together as a unit and you can find productive guys to fit the unit all over the draft board. With high picks I like to take guys with individual skills that operate individually, mainly cover corners and pass rushers. I would be good with a safety with exceptional speed and coverage abilities, and I suppose I would be good with the big WR I've been saying I want.

Of course Duane Brown worked out pretty well.
I agree about OL in general. I think two things make me think OL. (1) RG is one of the only places on are team that needs a clear upgrade. #2CB is one but will not likely be addressed. #2 WR, #2 MLB, and NT are others but are part-time players in our schemes. And (2) I think OTs fit more in your individual skills category. Our offense still struggles when they are forced to pass in straight drop back situations. Eric Winston is about the best RT in the league when it is not a straight drop, and one of the worst when it is because of his short arms and cement shoes.

If we could move him inside to RG and put a tackle who could pass protect on the outside, I think it would be worth the pick more than any defensive position (other than CB which I think we ignore), and any other offensive postion (unless we can get a difference making return man with our #2 WR).
Old 01-06-2012, 11:22 AM
All-Pro

I'd love to see a playmaking safety along the lines of Polamalu or Dawkins - one that creates turnovers. I realize there probably won't be some superstar type picking from #27 but very good OGs and safeties are always available in the low-first, upper-second because those aren't glamor positions like pass rushers and pass receivers.

If, as Rang believes, good NTs are available, that's another good direction. I'm happy to take a CB but it appears we did much better fixing that with an FA that has a proven record instead of unproven draft choices with questionable learning curves.

2011 was an unsexy draft and we got great results. I think (hope) that our 2012 selections inspire the same grumbling but produces the same results.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Pro Bowler

I think the first pick should be a #2WR. We badly need one that can get separation from the DB.

If not WR then then ORT. Move Winston in to RG.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I think the first pick should be a #2WR. We badly need one that can get separation from the DB.
#2 WR is a need, just skeptical to use a 1st rounder to get one. I at least hope the Texans don't give away their draft to get one like the Falcons did with Julio Jones. Jones may turn out to be a great player, but that's too expensive of a way to go for my tastes.

Hopefully there is a good CB available. If not then maybe WR. Or maybe a RT, NT. Team needs a good safety to develop, too. Quin and Manning have been great, but I'm not crazy about the depth there.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Pro Bowler

I think WR is a fairly big need. 1) We have no one who can step up when AJ goes down with an injury (which seems to be occurring with increasing frequency and length), 2) AJ isn't getting any younger and we need to groom a decent WR, and 3) what's wrong with upgrading that position with a better starter or depth? The Steelers and Packers - just to name 2 - don't seem to have a problem with multiple threats at WR. I don't buy the "oh we throw to the TE or run multiple TE sets" argument for ignoring a weakness at WR. We saw how this team struggles without AJ as proof there's a gaping weakness there.

As for the draft, I'm hoping like all get out that Kendall Wright drops down to us. I think he'd be a great return guy and could develop into a player like Victor Cruz or Antonio Brown. Alshon Jeffery has talent, but I'm concerned about his character and his motivation considering his weight problems. He doesn't fit that return role either.

Now, I wouldn't have a problem if the Texans went and got a FA like Robert Meachem and looked to the later rounds for a sleeper WR and return guy. I think the Saints are going to lose either Meachem or Colston since they have to sign Brees. Meachem would be the most likely to leave and he's probably within budget. I think he'd fit in nicely with this offense. I know, Meachem has never broken out, but I still think he's better than JJ as a WR.

If we're going to trade down, I'd like for us to find a team who thinks they're close and try to give up our #1 (and maybe another later pick) for their 2012 #2 and their 2013 #1. Sort of like how NE and Philadelphia work the draft every year. Of course, there's the Mario Williams factor that might come into play with our picks as well.

Last edited by popanot; 01-11-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:26 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post

Now, I wouldn't have a problem if the Texans went and got a FA like Robert Meachem and looked to the later rounds for a sleeper WR and return guy. I think the Saints are going to lose either Meachem or Colston since they have to sign Brees. Meachem would be the most likely to leave and he's probably within budget. I think he'd fit in nicely with this offense. I know, Meachem has never broken out, but I still think he's better than JJ as a WR.
If we go the FA path, then I am hoping we go after a former teammate of Dre from the U, Reggie Wayne. Why not ?