IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-18-2021, 09:00 PM
barrett barrett is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,902
Default Whitney Mercilus cut, Andre Roberts too

He has 3 of our 10 sacks but we cut him. Isn't it a little early to tank this openly?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-18-2021, 09:53 PM
chuck chuck is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,845
Default

In all fairness to the Texans (don't you guys get tired of my saying that? In all fairness to the Texans... Well, bear with me...), in all fairness to the Texans, Mercilus' contract was wildly, irresponsibly idiotic. It was given out by BOB, of course, back when he was distinguishing himself so outstandingly as head coach that the brain trust wisely decided to entrust him with the entire operation.

So to me, this isn't JUST a tanking move. I mean, they'd already guaranteed the guy something like $30MM (going from memory), so I don't know what sort of savings they'll realize going forward. That's more Keith's area, anyway.

The real tanking move I thought was making Omenihu or whatever the hell his name is a healthy scratch a week ago. Culley said that they were just giving other guys a chance to play. Which makes sense because that's what we did in Fun Football when we were 10.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-19-2021, 04:41 AM
barrett barrett is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
In all fairness to the Texans (don't you guys get tired of my saying that? In all fairness to the Texans... Well, bear with me...), in all fairness to the Texans, Mercilus' contract was wildly, irresponsibly idiotic. It was given out by BOB, of course, back when he was distinguishing himself so outstandingly as head coach that the brain trust wisely decided to entrust him with the entire operation.

So to me, this isn't JUST a tanking move. I mean, they'd already guaranteed the guy something like $30MM (going from memory), so I don't know what sort of savings they'll realize going forward. That's more Keith's area, anyway.

The real tanking move I thought was making Omenihu or whatever the hell his name is a healthy scratch a week ago. Culley said that they were just giving other guys a chance to play. Which makes sense because that's what we did in Fun Football when we were 10.
His deal was already restructured and he was a FA after the season. We had no financial commitment to him beyond this year. I don't believe this saves us any money. We just didn't feel we needed him at this point.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-19-2021, 09:45 AM
chuck chuck is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
We just didn't feel we needed him at this point.
Since the team is actively trying to lose games, they certainly don't need him. Which I suppose was your main point.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-19-2021, 02:32 PM
Arky Arky is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,291
Default

I'm hearing Andre Roberts is gone, too. Tunsil to IR.

My goodness, what a terrible situation to try to develop a green-in-the-gills young QB....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-19-2021, 03:56 PM
nunusguy nunusguy is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,399
Default

I'm surprised they were unable to get anything > than nada, zero, ziltch for Mercilus from just one of 31 other teams ?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-19-2021, 08:01 PM
chuck chuck is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I'm surprised they were unable to get anything > than nada, zero, ziltch for Mercilus from just one of 31 other teams ?
The Texans traded the best WR in football for a third round pick and a 30 year old RB with an untenable contract. They gave JJ Watt away for nothing. I'm pretty sure the other teams around the league took note of that.

Anyway, here's to exceptional character and outstanding leadership.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-20-2021, 07:20 PM
barrett barrett is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
The Texans traded the best WR in football for a third round pick and a 30 year old RB with an untenable contract. They gave JJ Watt away for nothing. I'm pretty sure the other teams around the league took note of that.

Anyway, here's to exceptional character and outstanding leadership.
If teams know we're cutting a guy, then there is no way to get a return. We did great in the Bradley Roby trade because they came to us. If we are going to them, they can just wait for us to cut him.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.