IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2015, 05:35 PM
All-Pro

Default Fanspeak Cap Manager

So, think you're a better cap manager than Rick Smith? Now you can try your hand:

www.fanspeak.com/mtc/

Let's you do what if's with the cap rooms of all 32 teams.

First, you get a chance to sign your free agents or let them walk.

I cut Andre Johnson, freeing up over $8 million in cap space while also cutting several non-factors from last year. Free agents like Kareem Jackson and Derek Newton were allowed to walk.

This gave me about $16 mill in cap room of which $5 mil have to be put aside for the rookie cap.

Here's how I spent the rest with enough cap room left for one more body ($756k):

Re-signed Ryan Pickett, DT on 2-year deal
Re-signed Ryan Mallett, QB, on 3-year deal
Re-signed Kendrick Lewis, S, on 2-year deal
Signed Michael Oher, OT, on 4-year deal (replaces Newton)
Signed Kenny Britt, WR, on 4-year deal (replaces AJ)
Signed Ike Taylor, CB, on 3-year deal (replaces KJ)

I wanted to get a good 3-4 ILB to play next to Cushing but couldn't swing a deal. If I wanted to, I could also cut Quisenberry and have room for another player. I don't know how his recovery is going. Most of the players on last year's roster I kept although some of you may want to take more of an axe to it.

Our QB situation would look the same. Our RBs and TEs carry over from last year. We swap AJ for Britt in the receiving corps but he makes a good-enough threat that other teams can't focus on Hopkins while leaving room for someone else to step up. Oher fits into Newton's spot in the OL which otherwise remains intact. Oher can also be insurance if Duane Brown gets injured.

On defense, a lot will depend on Clowney and Nix and how well they rehab from injuries. Pickett played so well and made such a difference last year when he was added that he was my biggest priority to resign. Brooks Reed left to ILB and depth at OLB will need to be draft targets. In the secondary, Lewis returns and Ike Taylor, a savvy veteran from the Steelers, replaces the mistake-prone Jackson.

Of course, you hate to lose what AJ brings to the ballclub but he really does need to move on and it is best to go into next year without paying him the $16 million he is due.

Last edited by HPF Bob; 02-26-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:48 PM
All-Pro

For sake of discussion I don't agree with your evaluation of Oher or Taylor. I think Texans and AJ find a reasonable way to stay here. Was the salary cap set at 142 mil?
Old 02-27-2015, 09:58 AM
All-Pro

$145,000,000 is the cap they used with $5,000,000 automatically set aside for the draft cap. Myself, I think Oher and Taylor are veterans from teams with winning traditions and attitudes that are not being asked to star but to hold their end. They replace two guys that simply weren't cutting it, IMO, and would cost even more to retain.

None of the additions are sexy but they seem like solid pros who do their jobs well.

This simulation is fun but there are way too many variables to be realistic. Don't take it too seriously.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Myself, I think Oher and Taylor are veterans from teams with winning traditions and attitudes that are not being asked to star but to hold their end. They replace two guys that simply weren't cutting it, IMO, and would cost even more to retain.
Ed Reed, paging Ed Reed.

In Bob's scenario, if Kareem is gone, drafting a CB very high in the draft becomes a priority. It might be a high priority even if Kareem is signed. And not to nitpick too much, but Britt has never done it for me. I'd love to see a slot receiver added via FA or draft and let Posey take Andre's role if he is let go.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:21 PM
All-Pro

And Derek Newton played very well last year. I have no idea why so many people are trying to run him off. The 2013 Newton? Sure. But last year's version was possibly the most consistent player on the OL.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:25 PM
All-Pro

According to one nfl analyst Oher was good as a rookie, but last two years has not been productivr. I don't know.

Similarly on Taylor, over the hill.

And I agree with Chuck on Newton.

Even Kareem, he's been solid last two years and still young.

Agree with Keith on Britt and Posey.

Now, if no deals done soon and these guys hit FA likely they will be offered more than Texans want to pay perhaps.

Lots of teams need OL and CB , why let two steady starters go.

And, fun to consider options.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:32 PM
Pro Bowler

RE: Kareem Jackson. Why are people down on this guy? Sure, he hasn't been a top-echelon CB, but he's been pretty good. He's decent in coverage and is probably the best tackling DB we have. I don't know, I guess I'm just tired of this team letting good, young players walk. You have to build the core at some point.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:42 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
You have to build the core at some point.
Truer word have not been typed here