IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2013, 08:20 PM
All-Pro

Default DT Star Lotulelei Has Heart Condition

Quote:
Star Lotulelei, one of the elite prospects for the 2013 NFL draft, will not be allowed to work out Monday at the scouting combine after an echocardiogram revealed that the former Utah defensive tackle has a heart condition that requires more testing.
He was considered by some to be a Top 5 pick in the draft and now his stock may tumble. If he falls to the Texans, do you take the chance? He's 6-2, 311 and would be a huge find for the Texans.

What if this can be corrected by surgery? Would that change anyone's mind or would you fear a Hank Gathers-like collapse in the middle of a game?

Somehow, I am guessing some team will still take a chance on him before he falls to us.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:28 AM
All-Pro

Really unfortunate break for this young man, but obviously that's one of the reasons they include physicals in the Combine evaluation process.
Whether ultimately there will be a medical concern here or not, I do think this "Star" is overrated as the word now is that he's not a true "3-down" player in the sense that he lacks the skills needed to be an inside pass-rushing threat and therefor most teams wouldn't want to invest a real high pick (certainly not a top-10 pick), in a player who'd have to come off of the field in passing situations. One player who is an every down guy on the inside appears to be FLAs Sharrif Floyd who most likely comes off of the Board as the first DT taken in this years Draft.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Regular Starter

If he's still on the board at 27 that's a strong indicator that the problem isn't easily fixable and the risk is significant. I don't think they can afford that kind of gamble in the first round.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Undrafted Rookie

I'd still do it. If he eventually somehow even gets on the field with this defense we'd become unstoppable. J.J Watt, Star, and Antonio Smith. Brooks Reed and Mercilus coming off the edges (assuming Connor doesn't get resigned).

If we keep Quin and Brice McCain we're a lock to being one of the top defenses again with that. Too good an opp to pass up. Although I hear that DT / NT is a deep position in this year's draft.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:04 PM
All-Pro

From what I've heard, he has a low ejection fraction. I'm not a doctor, but I am a Cardiovascular Technologist, and know that heart failure is not what I want from my Nose Tackle. There isn't a surgery to 'fix' the issue. Most likely he needs to lose weight and control his blood pressure. However, that isn't going to restore his cardiac output. He probably needs an Internal Cardioverter-Defibrillator so he doesn't have a Hank Geathers type "Sudden Cardiac Death" - this is not a benign issue like Arian Foster's arrthymia which could be cured by a simple ablation procedure in a couple of hours.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
There isn't a surgery to 'fix' the issue. Most likely he needs to lose weight and control his blood pressure. However, that isn't going to restore his cardiac output. He probably needs an Internal Cardioverter-Defibrillator so he doesn't have a Hank Geathers type "Sudden Cardiac Death" - this is not a benign issue like Arian Foster's arrthymia which could be cured by a simple ablation procedure in a couple of hours.
Whoa cowboy, His EF is reportedly 44%, so as you probably know he doesn't need an AICD, yet. And it's WAY TO EARLY to know if his cardiac output will be restored, depending on the possible cause(s). I found a (suprisingly)very well written article that sums it up better than I can right now:

Make no mistake, though—some of the causes of decreased heart function could threaten his playing career altogether. That said, others will not drop his draft stock in the slightest, and according to a Monday report by USA Today's Mike Garafolo, the hope is that recent weight loss and possible dehydration caused abnormalities in the salt levels in Lotulelei's blood—and thus the condition.

If so, that would be incredible news for Lotulelei, and his professional prospects would not be hurt at all.

Nevertheless, since many reversible causes of cardiomyopathy take quite some time to resolve, and since some are chronic, progressive conditions, nothing is a given. His situation should be more clear by April's NFL draft.

By then, Lotulelei's scare may just as well be a distant memory.

Let's hope so, for his sake.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...eart-condition
Old 03-03-2013, 02:52 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwood View Post
Whoa cowboy, His EF is reportedly 44%, so as you probably know he doesn't need an AICD, yet. And it's WAY TO EARLY to know if his cardiac o

Nevertheless, since many reversible causes of cardiomyopathy take quite some time to resolve, and since some are chronic, progressive conditions, nothing is a give
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...eart-condition
I had not heard the 44% (only that it was greatly reduced). This is why people hate to speculate when they don't have all the facts. It is still alarming to hear in somebody so young. We generally wait for 90 days to see if the EF improves before implanting an AICD in those with an EF < 35%. The draft is less than 60 days away, so not sure when his last Echo is going to be (but it will be a projection). I would shy away from him unless he'sthere in th 4th round.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Undrafted Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
I had not heard the 44% (only that it was greatly reduced). This is why people hate to speculate when they don't have all the facts. It is still alarming to hear in somebody so young. We generally wait for 90 days to see if the EF improves before implanting an AICD in those with an EF < 35%. The draft is less than 60 days away, so not sure when his last Echo is going to be (but it will be a projection). I would shy away from him unless he'sthere in th 4th round.
Out of curiousity why would you assess the 4th round to be where the gamble of picking should be taken? Why not in the 2nd or the 3rd? Like I said just curious.