IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Undrafted Rookie

Default "We Must Protect This House!"

As anyone, who has been to and seen the opening lines from HT.com TV, my question to you is:

!) What would an Alex Gibbs OL do if Schaub/Rosie were to receive a "cheap shot"?

2) Would it be retaliation or payback later in the game?

Last year, we watched those (who are paid to "protect this house"), stand idly by after Matt was knocked out of games and the "big uglies" did nothing, while their field general lay in a heap.

How do you think this years Texans would respond? I don't advocate a "cheap shot" in return nor a game changing penalty, for us, but, do you think he may change the "culture" of the offense in this regards?
Old 05-10-2008, 01:13 PM
All-Pro

We were already out of the Chargers game when Schaub was cheap-shotted. I'm going to presume the OL didn't see it because if they did see it and did nothing about it, I'd have a problem with that.

I still go back to Kyle Turley ripping the helmet off some Jet who tried to bend Aaron Brooks in ways humans aren't supposed to bend long after forward progress had been stopped. Yeah, the league fined and suspended Turley but I guarantee you there were 29 other starting quarterbacks around the league that saw that and said 'THAT'S a guy I want watching my back.'

That's one of the many reasons I never would have made it in football. I have a long fuse but when it gets to the end, I go postal. I start placekicking the furniture, etc. If I saw one of my teammates getting cheap-shotted, I'd have no problem ending that guy's career - the more blatantly, the better. Some folks need to be made an example of.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Undrafted Rookie

Baseball has its "unwritten" codes to settle "issues" and I don't advocate one of our players getting suspended from any future game(s) for giving a Haynesworthlessbastard a subtle reminder that, as a unit, we've got the back of our field general. Instead, our boy's left him in a heap and never rushed to his aid/defense.

I hope that, if a Haynesworthlessbastard or of his ilk, decides to belly-flop, helmut to mullet collision on our QB, someone, hell anyone (waterboy, equipment mgr., ticket taker), would say, "not in our house!".

Will Gibbs bring this attitude?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Regular Starter

well, from what i've read gibbs is a bit of a hard-ass. i don't know about the previous o'line coach but i would bet gibbs to be in the faces of the o'line if the schaub/florence situation came up again and they did nothing about it again.

i know in baseball it's pretty easy to be eye for an eye as long as you go about it the right way. sounds weird, but there is a right way to throw a bean-ball. in football...pretty obvious when someone is getting picked on, and since possessions are so important getting penalized for revenge is unecessary and a little stupid. but that doesn't mean you don't put 5 guts into a cheapshot artist...make him feel the heat. close in on him and tell him what you really think!!
Old 05-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Regular Starter

There's plenty of ways to pay somebody back that can go unnoticed....I've heard that applying a VERY firm grip and a twist to the groin region at the bottom of the pile can be very effective. The fact is we have no idea what was said to Haynesworth...or if their were any extracurricular activities going on that we didn't see. I'm all for standing up for the QB and would have liked to see more of a reaction, but I don't want to see us get any penalties over it either. If one of our lineman had gone all Kyle Turley on Al and gotten thrown out of the game and suspended people would be bitching about that too.

What if Travis Johnson was exercising a little payback for a cheap shot that the cameras didn't catch when he got called for a personal foul for a late hit on Peyton? What would people's reaction be then?

At the end of the day as long as Schaub feels like the lineman have his back it doesn't matter if we perceive it as otherwise.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
There's plenty of ways to pay somebody back that can go unnoticed....I've heard that applying a VERY firm grip and a twist to the groin region at the bottom of the pile can be very effective. The fact is we have no idea what was said to Haynesworth...or if their were any extracurricular activities going on that we didn't see. I'm all for standing up for the QB and would have liked to see more of a reaction, but I don't want to see us get any penalties over it either. If one of our lineman had gone all Kyle Turley on Al and gotten thrown out of the game and suspended people would be bitching about that too.

What if Travis Johnson was exercising a little payback for a cheap shot that the cameras didn't catch when he got called for a personal foul for a late hit on Peyton? What would people's reaction be then?

At the end of the day as long as Schaub feels like the lineman have his back it doesn't matter if we perceive it as otherwise.
well, i think that COULD be a way to get back at some players haha....ouch. but really, how many times is a cb going to be a) in a pile/out of plain sight b) near you c) for long enough to perform said action? it's a lot less frequent than baseball's revenge frequency. every pitch could have bad intentions behind it. maybe there are subtle ways of payback in football, but none of them seem as easy as huck a ball at this guy's back.

if i remember right, the personal flag on tj's hit to peyton was a "oh my god, that's peyton manning" call...

bolded for truth
Old 05-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post

if i remember right, the personal flag on tj's hit to peyton was a "oh my god, that's peyton manning" call...

bolded for truth

I think the league even admitted that call was a mistake and there should have been no personnel foul. Not sure if it was that exact play, but how often does the league admit that they ever made a mistake publicly.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Pro Bowler

Referees and judges should be impartial, but how many times have you seen politics raise it's ugly head? The haves of the football world get the breaks, while the have nots get the penalty.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
I think the league even admitted that call was a mistake and there should have been no personnel foul. Not sure if it was that exact play, but how often does the league admit that they ever made a mistake publicly.
uh not very often because i don't even remember that happening haha!
Old 06-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
They do it some with their refing. Every week the NFL exec in charge of officiating gets on ESPN and goes over a hadfull of plays and questionable calls on one of the shows.

Usually their answer is that they work very hard to make sure their officials are informed and can make the correct calls, which they stand behind 99.9% of the time. There are rare moments when he claims that on tape a call could be questionable, but on the field the ref has to make the best judgment call there is.

TJ ended up not getting fined, because he wasnt taunting he was bitching, and he had no idea that the squishy QB that had taken a shot at his knees was knocked out. I think the media made way more out of it than it was.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
uh not very often because i don't even remember that happening haha!
I can't find it anywhere....it might have been on the NFL network segment where the head of referees explains controversial calls and not in an article. I know it happened though. The admitted that on one play where TJ got a personal foul penalty that he didn't actually deserve it.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Pro Bowler

I find this whole thread weird, coming as it were, from someone in Nashville. Let the Tacks worry about thug Haynesworth. We will take care of our own.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravix View Post
TJ ended up not getting fined, because he wasnt taunting he was bitching, and he had no idea that the squishy QB that had taken a shot at his knees was knocked out. I think the media made way more out of it than it was.
we were talking about the personal foul he got for a "late shot" on peyton manning.

but i didn't think he was totally out of line in that incident either. surely he wouldn't have done the same thing if like little tweety birds were flying around his head so that everyone was immediately aware of his unconscious state. green put himself in that situation knowing his own situation and paid dearly for it again.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
we were talking about the personal foul he got for a "late shot" on peyton manning.
Haha.. Oops.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Undrafted Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I find this whole thread weird, coming as it were, from someone in Nashville. Let the Tacks worry about thug Haynesworth. We will take care of our own.
Let's be clear here Mr. NBT, I was born and raised in Houston, Texas (proud graduate of Lamar HS in 1977)! Where I live now is not where my heart and loyalties lie. I could say the same about someone on the "S.E. Texas coast" being a Saints fan. But, I digress and figure if you post on a Texans website, then your a fan of the team.

(BTW, I love to yank the chains of Titans fans with my loathing of Bud Adams team and don't mind watching my Texans playing in hostile enemy territory called LP Field...I hate the Titans and Bud Adams!)
Old 06-04-2008, 04:04 PM
On the Sidelines

That' because our offensive line lacks explosiveness. Not just on the physical side, but on the mental. We've had that problem for years now. We saw the same thing with Carr, but the weak attempt at Carrbashing blinded many into thinking that the offensive line just didn't want to fight for him. Well here we have a brand new QB and they do the same. Maybe they are creatures of habit.