IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2009, 09:01 PM
All-Pro

Default 2-2 and the next month.

Being a fan of this team is a roller coaster ride. Entering the season the hopes where high and play off where the goal. And the team laid an egg week1. Depression sets in and fire the HC threads become the topic of the day.

Week 2 the team goes into Nashville and stands toe to toe literally, and beats the Titans on the road. Elation, turn the corner threads every where.

Which team is this? Well a young inconsistent one for sure.

I think most had us 3-1 right now, well at least I did. So 2-2 is disappointing but not a bottomless pit. The Next 5 games define this team- @Cards, @Bengals, 49ers, @Bills, . @Colts. Those five games will tell if the team for real, or it's still pretending.

In the last few weeks I have been critical of Brian Cushing and the pick. I want to say he is bringing an attitude to the LBs. I will not bad mouth him anymore this season. I will let the man play.

What does this team need for a winning october
Old 10-04-2009, 09:18 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post

This team needs to create more turnovers than it gives up.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:26 PM
All-Pro

We need to score early. We have yet to put up points on the opening drive I believe.

Scoring early lets us get the play action going offensively. It pushing opposing teams into a pass heavy offense that is easier to defend and lets our DL get after the QB. It helps hide our swiss cheese run defense. And it is a huge help in winning the turnover battle Roy just mentioned.

And it will be doubly important against teams like SF and BUF who struggle in the passing game but run it well. We must come out hot offensively in those games.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Drafted Rookie

I don't think 'Da Fiddies' is a good nickname for our linebacker corps.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
This team needs to create more turnovers than it gives up.
I was at the game, and haven't had a chance to watch the replay, but Slaton's fumble....Why was the challenge rescinded? From the board, it sure looked like the ground caused the fumble. Just wondering what the TV was saying.

As far as the next five.....who knows! Hopefully our "Hyde" defense shows up for the balance of the season, but since I have watched these yahoo's since inception, that might be a bit much to ask.....I would guess they will lay a turd in at least one of the 5, if not 2.

BUT, I will take 4-1 over the next 5
Old 10-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Drafted Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
I was at the game, and haven't had a chance to watch the replay, but Slaton's fumble....Why was the challenge rescinded? From the board, it sure looked like the ground caused the fumble. Just wondering what the TV was saying.
The ground definitely caused the fumble, but Slaton tripped over his own man. He was not touched by any defenders, so he's not down by contact with the ground, and since he is not down, the fumble is still live. I was glad to hear the challenge rescinded because I fully expected Kubiak to lose another challenge on that one.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninRaven View Post
The ground definitely caused the fumble, but Slaton tripped over his own man. He was not touched by any defenders, so he's not down by contact with the ground, and since he is not down, the fumble is still live. I was glad to hear the challenge rescinded because I fully expected Kubiak to lose another challenge on that one.
Ah, that makes some sense. Thanks. I would assume that is what the officials were telling Kubes during the pre-challenge chat.

Slaton has GOT to hang on to the ball. PERIOD. He was prone in WV, not prone as a rookie, and now he is a fumble machine again? That doesn't make a lick of sense to me...
Old 10-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Being a fan of this team is a roller coaster ride. Entering the season the hopes where high and play off where the goal. And the team laid an egg week1. Depression sets in and fire the HC threads become the topic of the day.

Week 2 the team goes into Nashville and stands toe to toe literally, and beats the Titans on the road. Elation, turn the corner threads every where.

Which team is this? Well a young inconsistent one for sure.

I think most had us 3-1 right now, well at least I did. So 2-2 is disappointing but not a bottomless pit. The Next 5 games define this team- @Cards, @Bengals, 49ers, @Bills, . @Colts. Those five games will tell if the team for real, or it's still pretending.

In the last few weeks I have been critical of Brian Cushing and the pick. I want to say he is bringing an attitude to the LBs. I will not bad mouth him anymore this season. I will let the man play.

They need to fix the run game so we can play action and keep third down managable and convert to keep drives alive.

The defense needs to get off the field. I hope getting Reeves and the safties solidified will help the number of easy completions we saw the first three weeks. We also need the Antonio Smith we saw this week play like that the rest of the year.

Hope that Pollard is this years Demps from a few years back. We picked up demps and the secondary play improved.

2-2 is not out of it. But we need to go on a little run to position us for meaningful games in December.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Regular Starter

We will go 2-3 during tha stretch if we play poorly... 3-2 if we play good.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:34 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I'd go so far as to say he's actually overshadowing DeMeco. Not necessarily outplaying him, but overshadowing or standing out more than DeMeco because of the nature of physical-play. Not bad for a 22 year-old rookie.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Drafted Rookie

I said we would go 2-4 over the next 6 games before the Oakland game. I had us beating Oakland and Bufflalo and losing to the Cardinals, Bengals, 49ers and Colts. This would take us to the bye week. After the bye I have us going 5-2 and giving us another 8-8 year. If we can win 1 or 2 games that we are not supposed to win and win all that we are then we might get our first winning season. Although I don't believe we will make the playoffs. I think we would have to win our division to make the playoffs and the Texans don't have the secondary right now capable of shutting down Peyton. If we can rattle him with 4 full quarters of pass rush then maybe.

It would have been better for the Texans if the Titans would have beaten the Jags yesterday.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:52 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
They need to fix the run game so we can play action and keep third down managable and convert to keep drives alive.
The best way to run the ball with this team is to make the defense play against the pass. I'm talking about not necessarily using a FB in front of Slaton. We can put in Dreesen or Casey and use them as a threat of a pass. Spreading out the defense with 4 recievers can keep the defense honest and not allow them to concentrate their defenders in the "box" so to speak. Hitting a couple of passes in the middle of the field with our pass-catching TEs will make it easier for Slaton to find a crease. I would be happy to see the two TEs in the slot on both sides. We could also use 3 WRs, and a TE in a single-back as well. I guess I'm suggesting we essentially eliminate the FB position, and be willing to use Casey in the backfield on occasion as an H-Back.

Note to Shan
Old 10-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
The best way to run the ball with this team is to make the defense play against the pass. I'm talking about not necessarily using a FB in front of Slaton. We can put in Dreesen or Casey and use them as a threat of a pass. Spreading out the defense with 4 recievers can keep the defense honest and not allow them to concentrate their defenders in the "box" so to speak. Hitting a couple of passes in the middle of the field with our pass-catching TEs will make it easier for Slaton to find a crease. I would be happy to see the two TEs in the slot on both sides. We could also use 3 WRs, and a TE in a single-back as well. I guess I'm suggesting we essentially eliminate the FB position, and be willing to use Casey in the backfield on occasion as an H-Back.

Note to Shan
I couldn't agree more. It would make the offense that more unpredictable, and would get Casey in the game as well. From what I have seen, he has great hands. I also thought that strategy would have worked much better against the Jets.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Regular Starter

It seemed to me that Studdard got pushed around quite a bit, perhaps some of our issues are a result of not having Pitts in the lineup.

Slaton has not looked hot either, some of it is the line but some of it is him hitting the wrong lanes. Brown was picking up more yards in the previous games than SS was, and I cannot believe it was a result of better blocking when he was in the game. Slaton has had some good lanes and holes, but seems to be taking the wrong ones. I hope he settles down and starts to trust his instincts rather than seemingly guessing where the hole might be.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:24 AM
All-Pro

Quote:

I agree , had them going 3-1, but then the Jets game totally shook my confidence in the team, so became satisfied with the 2-2.

Over these next 5 games I had them going 3-2, so, for now I'll stick with that, due to hope the defense has turned a corner. All being close games and tough with 4 of 5 on the road.

I'd agree with winning the turnover battle likely a key to winning any and all of these games. Would like to see Slayton stop the fumbleitis and get some 100 yard running games, together rb's got over 100 last game, but took a lot of carries to do it. If we can grind out the first downs, good things will happen.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:23 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Playing the Raiders every week would be a good start. Seriously Im not as upbeat about this team as some of you. We are still to inconsistant for me to think we can win more than 6 games this year. We have pretty tough schedule coming up and some of you are riding to high after beating the Raiders. Most have the Cinci, Buffalo and Arizona as games we should or could win. I think they are underestimating them and overestimating us. I hope Im wrong.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:40 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
I agree , had them going 3-1, but then the Jets game totally shook my confidence in the team, so became satisfied with the 2-2.
No kidding. I still think the way the team played in that game was unforgivable because while the Jets may be a pretty descent team, this was the season opener that was played here in Reliant and Kubiak had months and months to prepare. Then the Jags loss - if we were/are to be a serious playoff contender, you've got to atleast get a split in those first 2 home games to leave yourself with a 3-1 record at this point.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Hall of Fame

Well, they could go 5-0 over the next 5 games. Then again, they could go 0-5. Who knows? Chances are good they won't do either so the truth will probably turn out to be something in between. Like Berman says, "That's why they play the games."

What I do expect as a fan is continued improvement. The defense just may have found themselves a little bit of an identity against the Raiders. This last defensive lineup may be the core lineup to go forward with. When Jacques Reeves is ready, he'll get added into the mix.... The offense needs to not be so hot and cold (inconsistent) and to not get so bummed out when they have a turnover or blow a chance in the redzone.

I think they have the potential to beat anybody in the league - whether they do it or not is another story. There may be only one playoff team from the AFC South and that would be (of course) the division winner. If the Texans want the playoffs, they have to beat the Colts. Twice would be nice. The road to the playoffs goes through Indianapolis.....
Old 10-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:

You won't badmouth him anymore? I know you really, really like Willis and all that, but You are a very hard man to please PK. Cushing is having a D rookie of the year type of season, and I hope I don't jinx him by saying so.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Pro Bowler

As far as 2-2 are concerned, I am really concerned that this next week we will revert to that clueless defense we have seen at times. I think this game with the Cardinals will go far in determining whether what we saw against a weak Oakland club was the real Texans, or what we saw the first and third week. Schaub and the running game must improve too. We must click on all cylinders to beat Arizona.