IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Pro Bowler

Default CB Antwan Molden

This guy was a 3rd round draft choice 3 years ago. With all the problems we are having in the secondary, why aren't they playing him? Or if they are not going to play him, cut him and put somebody on the roster that can.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Regular Starter

Its not the personnel its the lame scheme. Even if we were to have Revis we would still be getting beat if he were to line up like our CBs are lining up. Also, we are not getting pressure on the QB. Look at the turnovers that the Jets cause. They rattle the QB and then the QB makes a poor throw that gets picked. We saw a glimpse of that when Cushing forced Eli into making a poor throw that got picked by KJ. We should do a whole lot more of that and be more aggressive with the blitzes.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Pro Bowler

We certainly agree on that Fonz. It almost seems like the coaches are too lazy (or inept) to really prepare these players properly from game to game.

It has been said that the coaches only coach, the players have to play the game. But if their gameplan is weak, how can they possibly play up to their potential?
Old 10-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Regular Starter

I think it's safe to assume that Molden hasn't exactly been shutting receivers down in practice if he's not getting any game action at CB at this point. He has been playing on special teams.

I wonder if the Texans have given any thought to bringing Jacques Reeves or Fred Bennett (who was recently waived by the Chargers) back in. Neither is the solution but they know the defense and maybe a veteran presence would help settle things down.

I agree that more pressure would make the secondary look a lot better.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:29 PM
All-Pro

or maybe CB are really young, need experience, and get confused by varying offenses and a little more practice and learning they will improve.

maybe lack of pressure on QB gives them lots of time to pick apart defense.

Molden looked real good in practices and preseason till he got hurt.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I think it's safe to assume that Molden hasn't exactly been shutting receivers down in practice if he's not getting any game action at CB at this point. He has been playing on special teams.
Neither has Kareem Jackson and he still gets the start every week...
Old 10-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texas View Post
Neither has Kareem Jackson and he still gets the start every week...
Big difference between KJ and Molden. If Molden was the real deal he would be starting right now. KJ barely has 5 starts under his belt.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Pro Bowler

Well, one thing is for sure, it is either KJ or his posisiton coach, or a combination of both. Whatever, it needs to get fixed like right now, or we can kiss that winning feeling goodby!
Old 10-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonz the Boss View Post
Big difference between KJ and Molden. If Molden was the real deal he would be starting right now. KJ barely has 5 starts under his belt.
Molden has fewer starts than that right now.

Here's my issue: the team decided to keep Molden instead of J.Reeves. So, there is no valid argument that Molden can't be trusted due to his health or any other reason. If Jackson is consistently struggling, and the team would've considered Reeves in the same situation, doesn't Molden (and the rest of the team and fans) deserve an opportunity?

I'm actually not down of Jackson but I'm not seeing evidence of improvement right now and it seems logical to consider having him in the game less right now.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Pro Bowler

Dale, Since you brougt up the fact that the D was playing out of positon on some important plays in the Giants game, what is your opinion about the softness of the defense, to say nothing of the entire team when it comes to playing against playoff level teams outside of our division?
Old 10-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Dale, Since you brougt up the fact that the D was playing out of positon on some important plays in the Giants game, what is your opinion about the softness of the defense, to say nothing of the entire team when it comes to playing against playoff level teams outside of our division?
Here are the defensive problems as I see them:

1. Lack of speed at DE- making it difficult to chase a QB out of the pocket.

2. Disconnect between pass rush and secondary- I'm not sure if the secondary is slow to recognize the pressure or understand when to expect pressure and a hurried throw, or if many of our pressure calls have the secondary playing soft.... either way, we need more synergy between the pressure and the coverage (tight, aggressive coverage when pressure is on the QB)

3. Poor fundamental execution in Cover 2 zone by: Diles, Pollard, and Jackson.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Pro Bowler

here is that word "playing soft" again. Why in the heck do the Texans do this every year for at least the first 4 games, then for some reason a light goes on in Kubiaks head. For the rest of the season they play with the fire and enthusiasm they should have had all season. I like Kube too,but this is definitely a weakness.