IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Pro Bowler

Default Defense played SOFT

Kubiak hired Frank Bush as the defensive coordinator, and the defense played like crap (way too soft), so it is ultimately Kubiak's fault. I like Kube, but he does not know how to answer a physical defense. I hate to say it, but he needs to go!!!
Old 10-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Kubiak hired Frank Bush as the defensive coordinator, and the defense played like crap (way too soft), so it is ultimately Kubiak's fault. I like Kube, but he does not know how to answer a physical defense. I hate to say it, but he needs to go!!!
Fine. You want to let him know or should I?
Old 10-10-2010, 08:09 PM
All-Pro

Geez, we are 3 and 2. So your upset. Lot of parity all around, many surprise results with many teams every weekend.

I do agree, seems Giants were better prepared for Texans, they definitely out played, pushed around Texans. Actually, seems, as others maybe noted, teams with bigger DL push our OL around, seems every time. not good.

only 3 teams are doing better than Texans at 4-1 right now. Baltimore, Chicago, and Atlanta. All four teams in our AFC South Division are 3-2 and up to now we are 1-0 in division, so have to see how our division plays out.

We lost all three phases of game today. So, team credibility has to be going down. And, offense line couldn't even run block today, so running game was gone for first time this year.

Our soft defense is still very , very young. Maybe we need to let someone other than Jackson start for now, let Jackson be nickel.

Seems it was the players that couldn't block on offense or rush passer or stop receivers on defense. Injuries, new players, and they beat us.

Coaching didn't throw a stupid interception into triple coverage.

Similar, players that couldn't block and committed way too many fouls on special teams.

I guess Kubes will say this is on me, I didn't prepare them well enough. As he does. I think he's a good coach. Takes time. hang in there.

next four games are Kansas, Indiana, San Diego, and Jacksonville, so that should show us a lot about the team, with KC and SD in Houston. Just speculating, but if we come out of that 3-1 somehow, we'll be 6-3 at that time.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:31 PM
All-Pro

Kubiak's system is largely Shanahan's system and both use smaller, more mobile ZBS OL which means they tend to get blown out by very physical defenses. But there are things they also do very well like taking very mediocre running backs and turning them into stars.

Kubiak, like Shanahan, is also not a defensive coach and so they lean heavily on the DC to cover that part of the game.

So, let's say we dump Kubiak and bring in a guy from the Patriots braintrust. Oh, that's right, look at how Charlie Weis and Josh McDaniels have turned out. Okay, then let's say we dump Kubiak and bring in a guy who really knows defense. Oh, that's right. We had Dom Capers and we saw how that turned out.

So, I say we cool our jets and enjoy the ride a bit longer and, if needed, go get a better DC for 2011. And maybe also get serious about finding a secondary. That would be a big help.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:11 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Kubiak's system is largely Shanahan's system and both use smaller, more mobile ZBS OL which means they tend to get blown out by very physical defenses. But there are things they also do very well like taking very mediocre running backs and turning them into stars.

Kubiak, like Shanahan, is also not a defensive coach and so they lean heavily on the DC to cover that part of the game.

So, let's say we dump Kubiak and bring in a guy from the Patriots braintrust. Oh, that's right, look at how Charlie Weis and Josh McDaniels have turned out. Okay, then let's say we dump Kubiak and bring in a guy who really knows defense. Oh, that's right. We had Dom Capers and we saw how that turned out.

So, I say we cool our jets and enjoy the ride a bit longer and, if needed, go get a better DC for 2011. And maybe also get serious about finding a secondary. That would be a big help.
Seriously. I'm a Braves fan and all I hear is about Bobby Cox needing to retire 10 years ago, and how he's so overrated and this and that.

When will fans realize that while coaching is crucial and Kubiak's lack of prep was an issue today, ultimately it is on the PLAYERS to be motivated and to perform?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Pro Bowler

I hear what all of you are saying, and it is partly true. If you look at it from my perspective of being on the other side of 70, you don't have that many seasons left in you. In my case I have waited for over 50 years to have an ultimate winner in Pro football in Houston. It hasn't happened, and based on the Giants game, it ain't likely to be any time in the near future. So if I seem not to have much patience with Kubiak and his players, I hope you will understand.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Regular Starter

We made some video of the poor coverage and dissected it. Here are seven plays that I think represent the problems with pass defense right now:

Texans Bull Blog
Old 10-12-2010, 11:40 PM
All-Pro

Thanks DM, I now feel much better informed about our defense, adjustments they started making, and have some hope for our defense going forward this year.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
Thanks DM, I now feel much better informed about our defense, adjustments they started making, and have some hope for our defense going forward this year.
I think the parts are in place for this to be a good (not great) defense and some things have been stumbled upon. However, they have to create an identity and turn these individual plays into part of a larger game plan... It's not that easy, but I am encouraged and hopeful
Old 10-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote from the main board:

"Remember last season when the Texans defense was horrible the first three weeks of the season and then they turned it around? Going into Week 5 Sunday against the Chiefs, the Texans are still looking for a similar reversal."

If the D turns it around this year after some horrible performances, it will be more of a miracle than last year, in my opinion.

This year the offensive line has regressed also, especially in it's pass blocking. The run blocking looked pretty good while Foster was doing his thing, but against the Giants, they couldn't do anything right. Poor gap responsibility, poor technique, poor blitz pickup, you name it.