IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Default QB Brink, LB Coley, OT Dedrick Released

The Texans released QB Alex Brink, LB Kevis Coley and T Doug Dedrick today. I suppose they might be doing this to make room for draft pick signings.

So I guess Brink really didn't look much better from last season after all. Makes me wonder if a fourth QB will be added to roster before camp.

btw, the Aggie punter Justin Brantly was released last Thursday.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I suppose they might be doing this to make room for draft pick signings.
That'd be my guess too. The last few weeks I've been noticing teams releasing a spattering of three or four players and then announcing a group of draft pick signings within days. I'm guessing we'll have all but Cushing and Barwin signed by the end of the week.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:47 PM
All-Pro

What is the number, 80 on the roster when training camp starts? And only 80 more days to the first game with NYJ on Sept. 13, and Texans best year yet.

I was a little surprized they released Brantley, maybe giving him a chance to tryout elsewhere.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:34 PM
All-Pro

We have 5 unsigned draft picks and Dunta is unsigned. So that is 6 roster spots that will have to be cleared when these guys sign.

If my count is correct we currently have 83 guys on the official sites roster. So 3 more guys to cut precamp.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
We have 5 unsigned draft picks and Dunta is unsigned. So that is 6 roster spots that will have to be cleared when these guys sign.

If my count is correct we currently have 83 guys on the official sites roster. So 3 more guys to cut precamp.
Yes, and good point to mention Dunta. Anyone catch the news about Peppers signing? I wonder if that might be something of a harbinger for Robinson.

[personal note to dunta]Face it, dude. If the team doesn't want to pay you, they don't have to. We luvs ya, but you gotta complain to your union about it and then get ready for camp.[/personal note to dunta]
Old 06-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Regular Starter

I didn't think that they would dump Coley, I really liked him last year.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Regular Starter

Kubiak asked Smith to find him a QB in the seventh, and I think Brink's release shows how hard it is to get anything in the seventh round when you are not going BPA.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul View Post
I didn't think that they would dump Coley, I really liked him last year.

slightly surprised, but only slightly, at that one too. I think he was on of those guys who you want to root for. Undrafted, but looks like he has a chance to stick in the league guys always make for a good story. Our LB situation is pretty crowded though. Cushing, Ryans, Adibi, Diles, Bentley, June, Shaun Thompson, Buster Davis. I thought they might at least bring him into camp in case someone went down...they have probably seen enough of him to know what they got though and will likely check out some other young LB in camp.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:36 PM
All-Pro

I swore I was not going to rant about the wasted pick Brink was. They could of had the local hero. (Anthony Alridge )

But they have now passed on him twice, to my surprise. What the heck do I know.

Heck Peyton Hillis FB/RB, Paul Smith (Tulsa)QB, Wesley Woodyard (Kentucky)LB would all have been better pick ups.

Last edited by painekiller; 06-25-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Pro Bowler

Here we are complaining about a wasted 7th rnd. pick when a few years ago Cassery was saying 3rd, rnd. picks were basically throwaways. My how far we have come..
Old 06-26-2009, 04:21 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Here we are complaining about a wasted 7th rnd. pick when a few years ago Cassery was saying 3rd, rnd. picks were basically throwaways. My how far we have come..
Danged right, we don't have Casserly to blame anymore for the Charlie Hills, Antwan Peek, Seth Wand, Dave Ragone and Tony Hollins picks. His strategy really hurt this team for years. And yes it still ticks me off.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:57 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
slightly surprised, but only slightly, at that one too. I think he was on of those guys who you want to root for. Undrafted, but looks like he has a chance to stick in the league guys always make for a good story. Our LB situation is pretty crowded though. Cushing, Ryans, Adibi, Diles, Bentley, June, Shaun Thompson, Buster Davis. I thought they might at least bring him into camp in case someone went down...they have probably seen enough of him to know what they got though and will likely check out some other young LB in camp.
Yeah, your probably right, and the upshot is that he still has practice squad eligibility and none of the others do, so even if they cut him now they can bring him back later.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:03 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul View Post
Yeah, your probably right, and the upshot is that he still has practice squad eligibility and none of the others do, so even if they cut him now they can bring him back later.
Along that line Kubiak come's across as the kind of coach that likes to give players every chance to make a roster somewhere. I can see him letting a guy go here that has little shot at our roster, so they can try to get into some other teams camp where they might get a lucky break.

I have not seen them bring many of those guys back after the fact, but I am hoping they do on a few guys.