IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Hall of Fame

Default Texans vs. Chiefs post-game comments

Bummer about DeMeco but I saw some heart outta the guys coming back like they did today.

The Chiefs looked like an unstoppable machine at times today. The Texans looked pretty unstoppable themselves in the 4th quarter. Might be a big todo about the PI on AJ but had things not gone our way on that play, I got the feeling they would've overcome that, too....

Backup LB Nixon was in on 9 tackles...7 solo

He, Adibi, Bentley and Greenhouse (still available) are gonna have to step up....
Old 10-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Pro Bowler

Why do our backs have to be against the wall before we start performing?
Old 10-17-2010, 06:10 PM
All-Pro

The PI call was a non-issue. There shouldn't have been a call made, but AJ caught the ball anyways so it is pointless. I couldn't believe the announcers fixated so much on a penalty that was declined. Same with Flowers. He should have focused on failing to cover AJ instead of the penalty the Texans didn't need on the play.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:13 PM
All-Pro

I mentioned it in the gameday thread (RIP), but I am basically happier to be 4-2 than I am upset at how bad we've played the last 5 weeks.

Because in December we won't care how we won games or how bad we lost, only what the record is. And our conference record will come back to help as well.

Beating the Jags and Titans are now the key to the playoffs. Those games should be our superbowl.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Undrafted Rookie

a bigger key is having Gus Johnson calling games. i'd swear we win every game he calls
Old 10-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
The PI call was a non-issue. There shouldn't have been a call made, but AJ caught the ball anyways so it is pointless. I couldn't believe the announcers fixated so much on a penalty that was declined. Same with Flowers. He should have focused on failing to cover AJ instead of the penalty the Texans didn't need on the play.
I think it will be a big deal to the talking heads, as it might have been offensive PI.....whatever.

SCOREBOARD!

The remainder of the year is going to be a wild ride. Get your heart meds filled up!
Old 10-17-2010, 07:12 PM
All-Pro

I thought offense, especially Schaub to AJ was fantastic in 4th quarter. Amazing comeback.

I guess defense held when they had to, but need a bunch of improvement so hope these bye weeks we fix that somehow.

Great to be 4-2, but uneasy about every game for now.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:04 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
I think it will be a big deal to the talking heads, as it might have been offensive PI.....whatever.

SCOREBOARD!

The remainder of the year is going to be a wild ride. Get your heart meds filled up!
That wasn't close to offensive PI. It was a clean play where the official should have held his flag. A pretty straight forward completion up the sideline.

As for the talking heads, I doubt they are focused on the Houston and KC game. And either way, Great catch AJ.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
That wasn't close to offensive PI. It was a clean play where the official should have held his flag. A pretty straight forward completion up the sideline.

As for the talking heads, I doubt they are focused on the Houston and KC game. And either way, Great catch AJ.
Dungy on Football Night in America would disagree.....

To be honest, I didn't even realize it was that big of a deal. I was at the game, and saw the original penalty was declined, so I was surprised when I saw all the hoopla on the net. Never saw AJ push off till the replays.

But as I said, SCOREBOARD. It matters not.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:46 PM
All-Pro

We won't be going anywhere if we can't tackle better. Why do other teams seemingly have no problem with wrapping up and taking down while our tacklers play like they have grease all over their arms? Even if they do get them down, they seem to make another 2-3 yards on the way down. KC had so many 3rd-and-short situations, it was no wonder they marched down the field.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
We won't be going anywhere if we can't tackle better. Why do other teams seemingly have no problem with wrapping up and taking down while our tacklers play like they have grease all over their arms? Even if they do get them down, they seem to make another 2-3 yards on the way down. KC had so many 3rd-and-short situations, it was no wonder they marched down the field.
The real question is why the same players that tackled so well last season can not tackle now?
Old 10-18-2010, 07:16 AM
All-Pro

I went to yesterdays game and the first thing that surprised me was all of the Chiefs jerseys/fans ? In talking with a few of them, many seemed to be native Missourians (like myself) who became Cowboy fans (unlike me) after moving down here but remained loyal to the Chiefs (like me). And I don't think that's because of any "mystic" on the part of the Cowboys, it's just the heard mentality of many football fans who gravitate to the most popular choice. McNair really needs to hire a sharp marketing guy who can do a better job of capturing the local metro/surrounding area NFL fan support.
But in spite of old loyalties to the Chiefs, I was pulling for the Texans and feel like we were very fortunate to win as we were outplayed most of the day but made a tremendous comback very late led by an excellent QB performance and another supreme effort by a truly great WR and some solid OLine play.
With all the talk about blown DB interfearnace calls, it's worth mentioning
that the call on Kareem Jackson was BS from my vantage point ? He made a very good play from what I could see and didn't deserve the flag which kept the Chiefs drive alive early and led to a TD. Fact is I thought he played pretty good today ?
I saw some guy suggest on another website that the Texans should just begin the game with a wide-open offense and start scoring as much as possible instead of beginning the games conservative/vanilla, given the inability of the defense to stop anybody. I think he's got a point, especially
with our best defensive guy now out for the season.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I went to yesterdays game and the first thing that surprised me was all of the Chiefs jerseys/fans ? In talking with a few of them, many seemed to be native Missourians (like myself) who became Cowboy fans (unlike me) after moving down here but remained loyal to the Chiefs (like me). And I don't think that's because of any "mystic" on the part of the Cowboys, it's just the heard mentality of many football fans who gravitate to the most popular choice. McNair really needs to hire a sharp marketing guy who can do a better job of capturing the local metro/surrounding area NFL fan support.
But in spite of old loyalties to the Chiefs, I was pulling for the Texans and feel like we were very fortunate to win as we were outplayed most of the day but made a tremendous comback very late led by an excellent QB performance and another supreme effort by a truly great WR and some solid OLine play.
With all the talk about blown DB interfearnace calls, it's worth mentioning
that the call on Kareem Jackson was BS from my vantage point ? He made a very good play from what I could see and didn't deserve the flag which kept the Chiefs drive alive early and led to a TD. Fact is I thought he played pretty good today ?
I saw some guy suggest on another website that the Texans should just begin the game with a wide-open offense and start scoring as much as possible instead of beginning the games conservative/vanilla, given the inability of the defense to stop anybody. I think he's got a point, especially
with our best defensive guy now out for the season.
I agree on the Jackson call, I thought it was bs. With you being at the game you missed the horrible tv analysis, well Tasker was horrible this week. On one penalty, a false start on the Chiefs, Tasker went on and on about Smith being in the neutral zone before the Chiefs jumped, the reshowed the play a half dozen times and in each replay Tasker failed to notice that Smith jumped due to the LT flinching and moving his head.

As a whole the officials where horrible again this week. But on the phantom pass interference, Tasker and the whole TV world are missing the right arm that is thrown into Dre right before the push off, in the NFL when a CB does that move they are called for PI 80% of the time.

Lastly as for opening up the offense from the start, many of the guys old enough to remember the early Jerry Glanville Oilers, will remember the same complaint. The Oilers where forced by Glanville to play smash mouth the 1st half, and then when they where really behind they would go 4 WR and blow away the other team. Sadly they opened up the offense too late to catch up most of the time. Hence Glanville being replaced by Pardee and the Run n Shot full time a few years later.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Regular Starter

Ive never been a season ticket holder but I have been to about 6 games in the last 2 years. I have also noticed how there are always alot of opposing team fans as well as empty seats when I go to the games. I get my tickets mainly from Ebay vendors and I think that is the problem when it comes to opposing fans and empty seats. Third party vendors buy the tickets and re sell them at inflated prices to any away or home fan. If they dont sell well then thats another empty seat at the stadium.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Regular Starter

The PI call is a case by some of making a mountain out of a molehill, Peter King I am referring to you. If you watch the entire play, Flowers could have been called for illegal contact past 5 yards early in the route, he put his hand on AJ first, AJ responds with his arm, Flowers expects a flag and kind of lets up, AJ proceeds to make the catch anyway. I think it should have been a no call either way. Also Kc was helped put by a phantom PI call on Kareem Jackson that kept a TD scoring drive alive in the 1st quarter. The Chiefs got away with pretty much the same thing against AJ on a key 3rd down later. Much ado about nothing, IMO.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Veteran Depth

Agree with you guys. Tasker was awful. Antonio saw the OG (I think) flinch and came across the line of scrimmage pointing at him. He has done this a few times, knowing that the defense will pick up 5 yds. I don't think he was pulled across at all, he just knows that once the OL is set, coming across the line of scrimmage by a DL guarantees a flag, one way or another.

Flowers looked like he tried a flop routine from the NBA. He initiated the contact, and when Andre resisted, he threw his hands up in the air and gave up on the play before the ball even got there. He should also have been penalized for trying to intimidate the ref long after the play was over.

What was the deal with the cameras at this game, anyway. They kept showing the same angle over and over of Andre/Flowers, and they only showed the angle from behind Bowe when it looked like the ball could have hit the ground, but was called a reception. There should have been other angles of both of those plays that were better.

Besides all that, what a game! I didn't see it live, I dvr'd it. I don't think I could have taken it. Schaub was truly special in the 4th quarter. He may very well win a Super Bowl for us one day.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:30 PM
All-Pro

Flowers mugged AJ all day. On one play he came through him early and Tasker actually said, "Even if he got there early that is a great play." On the AJ catch in question AJ just beat him plain and simple. You will never see offensive PI there since AJ doesn't extend his arm.

Tasker was maybe the most biased I've ever seen an NFL announcer. It was like listening to Herbstreit doing an Ohio State game. Terrible job from a national guy.

But I don't really care, and nobody else will care about this play a week from now either. It wasn't one where an incorrect call affected the outcome of the game (like happened in Minnesota and Denver with PI calls).
Old 10-18-2010, 12:31 PM
All-Pro

And on one of the Chiefs TDs, their RT had to wrap Mario completely around the neck to stop him after getting initially beat. I swear Mario needs coaching in how to draw a holding call. No great pass rusher gets held more without getting a call.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texas View Post
Why do our backs have to be against the wall before we start performing?
Why did we have to have so many injuries this year?