IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Hall of Fame

Default Official Texans @ Jets Game Thread, 10/8/2012

The Texans (4-0) travel to the Big Apple this weekend to take on the NY Jets (2-2) in a Monday nighter. The Texans will be looking to do something they've never done before - beat the Jets. The Texans have an 0-5 record lifetime against the Jets. The Texans are coming off a 38-24 victory of the Tennessee Titans.

The Jets were pounded by the San Francisco 49'ers in their last game, 34-0. The Jet offense was oddly anemic (Niners defense deserves credit here) in this game but, they had no trouble putting up 48 against the Bills in Week 1. The Jets rush defense is ranked 31st so look for the Texans to run, run, run. WR Santonio Holmes has gone on IR, CB Darrelle Revis is out and TE Dustin Keller and rookie WR Stephen Hill are both questionable.

TV = ESPN, 7:30 CST, Monday night

Announcers = Mike Tirico, John Gruden

The line = Texans by 8 to 9

Sunday games in the Houston area:

CBS early - Baltimore @ KC
CBS late - Denver @ NE
FOX early - Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh

Sunday Night Football - San Diego @ New Orleans
Old 10-03-2012, 11:18 PM
All-Pro

38-24? Tennessee scored some points in the fifth quarter.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:47 PM
All-Pro

Before the season, I had this game penciled in as a loss so this is a "house money" week. Nobody else in our division has two wins yet and we have four so there really should be no pressure on the Texans.

The Jets have lost some key players and some in Babylon are ready to press the panic button and put in Tebow. I'm still very leery of road games in the Northeast because we've been so dreadful there but this looks very promising right now.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:14 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Before the season, I had this game penciled in as a loss so this is a "house money" week. Nobody else in our division has two wins yet and we have four so there really should be no pressure on the Texans.

The Jets have lost some key players and some in Babylon are ready to press the panic button and put in Tebow. I'm still very leery of road games in the Northeast because we've been so dreadful there but this looks very promising right now.
To me this is the same as the other games the team has played. If the Texans are as good as we hope they are and as many people think they are they'll go up there and deliver a nationwide ass kicking.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 AM
All-Pro

I don't think the Jets are as bad as they're coming across. They are 2-2 afterall. But I do think they are a team that cannot play from behind. I am also a little worried because a wounded team can sometimes pull together. The last 4 weeks I have scoffed at the nervous on this site, but this week I will not feel good about the game until it's done.

Houston 23 Jets 10

Also I hope I don't see Tebow in this game. He is a terrible QB but a definite wildcard. I'd rather take the slightly less terrible but far more predictable QB we are game planning for, then have to worry about broken plays and sandlot football.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I don't think the Jets are as bad as they're coming across. They are 2-2 afterall.
Respectfully disagree. The Jets are a mess, really from top to bottom. With the loss of thier lockdown guy, they no longer have a pass rush. Looks like I was wrong about Kyle Wilson too, as he hasn't shown many flashes from the times I have seen him.

How many teams trade away thier starting LT 2 weeks before the season?

I liked Hill coming out, but not as a #1, which is what he is now that Holmes is out.

Sanchez......Tebow.....don't really need to go there. We haven't faced either with a competent DC, so previous records don't mean much, IMO.

By the end of the season, I would assume Tannebaum is fired, and Rex's seat is blazing hot as well.

Again, just my opinion, but this "should" be another game we roll by 20.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Administrator

I love that this game is on Monday Night, and I don't mean that because I care as a fan about whatever national attention this game will get necessarily... I mean it because I think the Texans players will not be looking ahead to the SNF game with the Packers since this is their first opportunity this season to perform for a national audience.

Had this game been a typical Sunday noon start, I might be a little more concerned. Instead, on MNF, expect the Texans to come out on fire, jump ahead, and keep a multiple-TD lead into the fourth quarter.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:55 PM
All-Pro

Wow, I like to be optimistic, but also, any team can beat any team, just takes a few fumbles, guys hurt, so on.

Anyways, should be a good show on MNF.

I'll predict Texans win 28-17, just a wag.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post

I don't think putting Tebow in is pushing the panic button. While Tebow isn't a good QB, he is better than Sanchez. Regardless of who is QB, Texans will romp.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 PM
All-Pro

ESPN notes that the Texans have more wins than the rest of the AFC South *combined* (4-3).

They also note the Texans are the only AFC team with more rushing attempts than passing attempts, indicating a stability in the offense that few others have.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:31 AM
Pro Bowler

Just take care of the ball. Stay healthy. Don't do stupid things like commit personal foul penalties and such. Dominate time of possession. I'd love one or two long, time-consuming drives and while I HOPE for a drubbing that makes the 49ers' last two wins look like child's play, I'm not expecting it because anything can happen in this league.

The Jets can kiss my ass.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 AM
All-Pro

After Indy's big upset of the Pack yesterday, I would hope the Texans take note that a fired up home-team can take anybody out. I dunno, but I suspect the spread in yesterdays game at Indy was just as big as the one in tonights game ?
Old 10-08-2012, 10:02 AM
All-Pro

One thing that is certain is that a Rex Ryan team will be physical and I'm not sold that the Texans can take a punch. Our lines will need to get physical, protect Schaub and pressure Sanchez. Do that and we'll be okay.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Pro Bowler

This game makes me nervous in more ways than one. Road game, hostile crowd, colder weather than what we're used to, MNF, physical team with their backs against the wall, etc... Maybe it's just that a lot of people are predicting an easy win and it always seems like Houston teams have a hard fall (especially on a national stage) just when you think they're really good. Oh, the life of a Houston sports fan...

Anyway, I think we should at least get out with a win as long as there are no turnovers that shorten the field for the Jets and we at least score FG's whenever we're down in their zone (with hopefully a couple TDs splashed in).
Old 10-08-2012, 12:18 PM
All-Pro

The crowd will likely be far more hostile towards the jets than us.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:20 PM
All-Pro

I've heard there's some chance the game might be blacked-out locally ?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
This game makes me nervous in more ways than one. Road game, hostile crowd, colder weather than what we're used to, MNF, physical team with their backs against the wall, etc... Maybe it's just that a lot of people are predicting an easy win and it always seems like Houston teams have a hard fall (especially on a national stage) just when you think they're really good. Oh, the life of a Houston sports fan...

Anyway, I think we should at least get out with a win as long as there are no turnovers that shorten the field for the Jets and we at least score FG's whenever we're down in their zone (with hopefully a couple TDs splashed in).
I think this could be a tricky game, but primarily becasue it could be a look-ahead game. if the jets were at full strength i would worry more, but when they are missing revis, holmes, stephen hill, and their tight end it seems like on top of the other issues they already had, that they may just lack enough talent to play a good game for 4 quarters.

and honestly, it is really looking like without revis, the jets' defense is in the bottom half of the league.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:25 PM
All-Pro

I wonder how much they will play Tebo?

Looking forward to an exciting game.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Tate inactive.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Pro Bowler

Let's beat their ass. Relentless. In front of the entire country to see.