IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I admit Pettigrew is a heck of a blocker, so good he is good enough to convert to OT IMO. But why do I want to spend a 1st round pick on a blocker, a speciality player IMO, when this draft has guys like:

Richard Quinn 6-4, 265 North Carolina
Dan Grankowski 6-5.5, 255 Maryland
Anthony Hill 6-5, 262 North Carolina State
John Phillips 6-5.5, 251 Virginia
Bear Pascoe 6-5, 251 Fresno State
Ryan Purvis 6-4, 260 Boston College

To name a few. Most of these guys are 2nd day guys and are considered blockers 1st.

Again I keep coming back to OL or RB being the only positions on offense that impact this team enough to be 1st rounders.

Pettigrew gives you a good option in the passing game as well. I'm really only basing that on what he did against Texas and maybe a handfull of college games, but I do think he gives you much more as a receiver than your traditional block first college TE. If he was simply a decent blocker he wouldn't be ranked so highly.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I admit Pettigrew is a heck of a blocker, so good he is good enough to convert to OT IMO. But why do I want to spend a 1st round pick on a blocker, a speciality player IMO, when this draft has guys like:

Richard Quinn 6-4, 265 North Carolina
Dan Grankowski 6-5.5, 255 Maryland
Anthony Hill 6-5, 262 North Carolina State
John Phillips 6-5.5, 251 Virginia
Bear Pascoe 6-5, 251 Fresno State
Ryan Purvis 6-4, 260 Boston College

To name a few. Most of these guys are 2nd day guys and are considered blockers 1st.

Again I keep coming back to OL or RB being the only positions on offense that impact this team enough to be 1st rounders.
I kind of agree but I do think Pettigrew (or someone like him) could help. The most intriguing guy you listed is Quinn. I think he could give you most of what Pettigrew can. He has a lot of untapped potential, and according to Mike Mayock, Butch Davis said he should have used him more than he did.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:47 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanJedi View Post
I kind of agree but I do think Pettigrew (or someone like him) could help. The most intriguing guy you listed is Quinn. I think he could give you most of what Pettigrew can. He has a lot of untapped potential, and according to Mike Mayock, Butch Davis said he should have used him more than he did.
I love Ryan Purvis and he is a late round guy. He blocks very well and he can get some separation.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:18 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
First, I am NOT in favor of drafting a WR in the first round. In fact, related to our other Browns thread, if we really wanted a WR, I'd trade back in the first round and then send that pick for Braylon Edwards.
I'm not in favor of drafting a WR in the first round, either. However, as you pointed out with your 3 points, it shouldn't be off the table. There is a very good chance that Maclin doesn't make it to us at #15, I have a hunch he'll be off the board. However, if for some reason he is available, I would imagine that he would be the Best Player Available, not necessarily the BPA at a position of need.

So, if we don't need a #2WR with our 1st round pick, the prudent thing to do would be to trade down until the BPA is a player who plays at a position of need for our team. Now, if that isn't possible because we can't negotiate a trade down, then we should take the player that has the most worth. Remember when the Chargers drafted Manning when they knew he wouldn't sign? Take the BPA and find a way to trade him (that might go for Mark Sanchez too).

Now, if you wouldn't want a 1st round pick to be "wasted" on a WR, why would you give up draft picks to trade up into the 1st round only to waste that one on a WR? Sure Braylon is more of a proven commodity, but wouldn't you imagine he'd want to get paid like one?

Currently, my top 10 players on my draft board includes 1 WR and 2 RBs. That means 7 out of the 10 are defensive players that I'd like to have in Texans uniforms. So, while I'm not looking to add to the offense philosophically, I'm not going to bite my nose to spite my face either.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:34 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Maclin is hardly a wasted pick just because we are good at WR already. When comparing him to a 1st round RB, he probably has just as much impact. Any RB we take is going to be our #2 back and will do little more than spell Slaton and hopefully take the goalline carries. The problem though is that you don't play two RBs at once.

Maclin fills far more roles for our team. The biggest is that he helps a return game that struggled mightily last year. He returns punts and kicks for us. He plays the slot for a team that goes 3 and 4 wide on a regular basis. And he provides a fantastic deep threat opposite AJ. I'd say that is more impact then you will see from any #2 RB or interior OL (or OLB for that matter).

Now, with all of that said I hope we don't draft him. But if we can't trade down and it comes down to him or a RB (or any other position), I hope they go with whoever they rate higher as a player rather than the position that seems to be of greater need. Especially since we have no positions that are such a big need we must throw a 1st rounder at them.
Well said.

It is hard to be objective when comparing players at different positions. Especially difficult when one is offensive and the other is defensive and you have a huge discrepency between the two units' effectiveness. It's really hard to not let emotion and hope cloud your judgement when making that comparison.

However, as much as I don't want to draft a WR, I feel compelled to rate Maclin higher than some of the other prospects who may be available at #15. That confirms my notion that he's rated a lot higher in my mind. His talent level is forcing me to do something that I don't want to do.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Now, if you wouldn't want a 1st round pick to be "wasted" on a WR, why would you give up draft picks to trade up into the 1st round only to waste that one on a WR? Sure Braylon is more of a proven commodity, but wouldn't you imagine he'd want to get paid like one?
Me? I wouldn't trade up for a WR... probably never ever, much less this year.

My point was that after Crabtree, IF I wanted a WR now, I would trade back to use that pick on acquiring Edwards AND have extra picks as compensation in the deal to move down.

I'll stop talking about Braylon here though... mostly because we have another thread on this, but also because he isn't coming here anyway. My point was simply that I'm not high on the WRs after Crabtree this year anywhere in the first round, but there are still very legitimate reasons why the team could consider a need there this year.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:52 PM
All-Pro

Smith is saying the right things. If there's an offensive player graded much higher than any defensive player on his board, they take the offensive player. And they can have that on the record to improve their chances of a trade down scenario should a QB or Maclin be there with a severe drop down to the next guy (although I love Hakeem Nicks - I think in the right system he could be like Jerry Rice whom the draftniks also complained was too slow).

Do I really think Smith will draft offense in the first?? NAAAAHHHH! But he still has to say he might so as not to get boxed in on draft day.