IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2014, 11:15 PM
Regular Starter

Default Mock Draft Simulater

I thought I share this with y'all. It's a neat for those who like mock drafts. http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/
Old 01-21-2014, 10:06 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull View Post
I thought I share this with y'all. It's a neat for those who like mock drafts. http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/
Thanks. This is fun. I decided first to see what happens if I start with Clowney:

1. Jadaveon Clowney, DE, S. Carolina

As you might expect, the big name QBs fell off the board leaving Zach Mettenberger, A.J. McCarron, Tahj Boyd and Aaron Murray. But I figure they can wait. OG-OC Cyril Richardson and DB Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix are available but I fall back on getting help in the middle:

2. Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford

At the start of Round 3, all the QBs are still available so I take the one I think O'Brien would like even though I'm not a big fan.

3. Zach Mettenberg, QB, LSU

Now back to helping the defense (I'd love to help the OL but I'm too unfamiliar with the OT candidates at this level of the draft board).

4. Dominique Easley, DT, Florida

A very talented guy in the middle who has had some injury issues. Florida's defemse was stout even though their offense was crappy. And here's another big-play guy who I'm shocked is still there:

5. Chris Davis, CB, Auburn

You can see I probably saw more SEC than other parts of the country this year. I really have no idea who O'Brien or Crennel wants or whether Rick Smith or Bob McNair will have some influence. I'd also love it if you could do trade downs.

I gotta get ready for work so I'll try my hand at a Bridgewater draft later.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:23 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Thanks. This is fun. I decided first to see what happens if I start with Clowney:

1. Jadaveon Clowney, DE, S. Carolina

As you might expect, the big name QBs fell off the board leaving Zach Mettenberger...
Odd... When I chose Clowney first, Mettenberger went late first round to another team. I didn't pay attention to which team it was. Pretty fickle computer.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:44 AM
All-Pro

I see what you mean. I just started with Jake Matthews and Derek Carr goes off the board before Clowney who fell to #6.

Sounds like this needs more tweaking.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:13 PM
All-Pro

1. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
2. Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio St.
3. Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford
4. Jackson Jeffcoat, DE-OLB, Texas
5. Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson

Mettenberg was still there in the third again.

I'm toying with the idea of O'Brien trading our second to the Patriots for QB Ryan Mallett. It's probably too high a pick to give up but he's not just a backup QB. He's knows O'Brien's system from New England days so he should have a quick learning curve to his system.

And Belichick *loves* having a pick at that point in the draft because he can package this and his low first to move up or he can start trading down to acquire more picks so he can start building back depth.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:30 PM
All-Pro

After I took Bridgewater, entirely different options started opening up.

1. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
2. Kyle Van Noy, DE-OLB, BYU
3. Juwaun James, OT, Tennessee
4. Dominique Easley, DT, Florida
5. Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio St.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:31 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
1. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
2. Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio St.
5. Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
Other than taking a RT 1-1 this would be a home run draft. Trade back, grab another second, throw the best OG on the table into the mix and now we're talking.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:22 AM
All-Pro

Default 1-30-2014

This site updates every Tuesday so it weighed in the risers and fallers from the Senior Bowl and my Clowney draft had some big surprises. Without trading up or back, this might be a dream draft:

1. Jadaveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
2. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
3. Cyril Richardson, G, Baylor
4. Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State
5. Max Bullough, ILB, Michigan St.
6. Chris Davis, CB-KR, Auburn
7. Carrington Byndum, CB, Texas

Picks 2-3 were in the "too good to pass up" category. Hyde and Bullough fill needs while the two corners at the bottom are both solid guys who held up well against top competition.

While I'm skittish about Manzeil, he's less of a risk at 2-1 and should at least have a longer honeymoon than some other QBs we could bring in.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:18 PM
Hall of Fame

I like Manziel but I think no way he lasts till 2.1.

So (somebody had to do it):

1 (1) QB JOHNNY MANZIEL TEXAS A&M

2 (33) TE JACE AMARO TEXAS TECH

3 (65) ILB CHRIS BORLAND WISCONSIN

4 (97) DT DOMINIQUE EASLEY FLORIDA

5 (129) CB ROSS COCKRELL DUKE

I think whomever gets Manziel really ought to bring him along slower than what has become the norm lately (i.e., being thrown to the wolves). He's still practically a teenager. Perhaps, at least, splitting time with a vet during his first year.....
Old 01-31-2014, 01:28 PM
All-Pro

Arky, you're fired. You can go be the Ravens' strength and conditioning coordinator.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:40 PM
Administrator

lol

Since I don't want to fire every poster here, thought I'd put up instead of shut up with my own run at this feature.

1 (1) QB Teddy Bridgewater Louisville
2 (33) DT Timmy Jernigan Florida State
3 (65) ILB Chris Borland Wisconsin
4 (97) DE Marcus Smith Louisville

...would probably look really hard at DBs and TEs the rest of the way. Probably means going to free agency pre-draft to find a little vet depth for the OL. Picking front 7 is a little tough since I still need to sit down with RAC on what he wants up there, but these three have caught my eye.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:08 PM
All-Pro

I would also like to know more about the OL that the team carried on the IR last year, the rookies. Do they have any promise? That would certainly affect my perception of need one way or the other.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:16 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Arky, you're fired. You can go be the Ravens' strength and conditioning coordinator.
Eheh, actually Eric Winston had the best quote I heard so far on Manziel: "He's (Manziel) going to get someone fired. Either the guy that picks him or the guy that *doesn't* pick him." Nick Wright (610 morning guy) has used the same quote....
Old 02-06-2014, 11:10 AM
All-Pro

I'm not really listening to any talk about Bortles, Carr or Manzeil at 1-1. If we're going that route, it really has to be Bridgewater because he's the guy who has played in a pro-style offense and is the most ready to start the season as "the guy" under center. I can see drafting Clowney or trading down as the two other viable options.

Using the Mock Simulator, here's my latest "Bridgewater Draft". I expected to go heavy on defense but never found the RT I wanted. This draft, however, should vastly improve our pass rush and interior defense:

5. Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia
6. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
7. Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty

Several of these were the top of the draft board at their point.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
I'm not really listening to any talk about Bortles, Carr or Manzeil at 1-1. If we're going that route, it really has to be Bridgewater because he's the guy who has played in a pro-style offense and is the most ready to start the season as "the guy" under center. I can see drafting Clowney or trading down as the two other viable options.

Using the Mock Simulator, here's my latest "Bridgewater Draft". I expected to go heavy on defense but never found the RT I wanted. This draft, however, should vastly improve our pass rush and interior defense:

5. Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia
6. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona

Several of these were the top of the draft board at their point.
If you think Bridgewater is the best prospect, that's fine. But to suggest we should use the No. 1 pick on a guy because he's the best equipped to start day 1 is laughable. You take the guy you think has the best chance of developing into an elite QB. Who you think has the best chance to win games September 2014 is a ridiculous reason to draft someone No. 1.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:30 PM
Hall of Fame

Here's a "trenchy" draft:

1. (1) DE JADEVEON CLOWNEY - SOUTH CAROLINA
2. (33) G DAVID YANKEY - STANFORD
3. (65) OT MORGAN MOSES - VIRGINIA
4. (97) DT KELCY QUARLES - SOUTH CAROLINA
5. (129) QB A.J. MCCARRON - ALABAMA

Murray (Georgia), Smith (Wyoming), Fales (San Jose State) and Boyd (Clemson) were all still available at the QB position in the 5th round according to the simulator. I went with McCarron....

Eh, it's going to be a long off season....
Old 02-06-2014, 11:49 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
If you think Bridgewater is the best prospect, that's fine. But to suggest we should use the No. 1 pick on a guy because he's the best equipped to start day 1 is laughable. You take the guy you think has the best chance of developing into an elite QB. Who you think has the best chance to win games September 2014 is a ridiculous reason to draft someone No. 1.
That depends on what becomes of Schaub. If he's cut (or traded), then you're asking Keenum to take over as your starter in an entirely new offense until your "best prospect" quarterback is developed. Now, if he can't beat out Keenum for the job, why the hell did you draft him 1-1?

You draft a QB at 1-1 because he'll be ready to start on Day One and the only guy of the four that looks like he has all of that is Bridgewater. He has the experience and the maturity to be that sort of player who can assume that mantle.

What's laughable is to draft a QB 1-1 then sit him behind Case Keenum while he learns the job. If Schaub is still around, I could see learning at his feet for a few months if you can stomach the interceptions. But I think Schaub is going to be a June cut if he isn't traded before then.

I think in a good draft, Bridgewater is probably a mid-first QB and Bortles might go ahead of him because of size and athleticism but the Texans won't have that situation unless they trade down so a 1-1 "franchise" QB needs to be ready to walk into camp and take over. Of the four QB hopefuls, Bridgewater is the only one who I think could pull that off.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:19 AM
All-Pro

My "Clowney Draft" has a surprise fall into the second round that changed my whole approach. Unfortunately, I kept waiting another round for a QB until all the best ones were gone.

1. Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
2. Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
3. Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
5. Lamin Barrow, ILB, LSU
6. Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson

I'd walk away pretty happy with this. Kouandjio can be the new RT until Duane Brown is done. Seastrunk should be great insurance if Foster struggles and Boyd, in the sixth, is a low risk who might still turn into something outstanding someday.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:28 PM
All-Pro

My latest "Clowney" draft:

1. Jadaveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
2. Jace Amaro, TE Texas Tech - Amaro (6-6, 260) is supposed to be this draft's Rob Gronkowski and, let me see, isn't the new head coach the guy who made a star out of the last Rob Gronkowski?
3. Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin - Help and insurance for Brian Cushing.
4. Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois - ranked in the low first round in some mocks. A steal this late.
5. A.J. McCarron, QB, Alabama. All he does is win championships. A caretaker QB who seems to give you just enough to win. Rarely makes mistakes.
6. Chris Davis, CB-KR, Auburn. Depth at two positions and can make big plays.
7. Trai Turner, G, LSU. Another OL candidate.

My latest "Bridgewater" draft:

2. David Yankey, G, Stanford - He might convert to tackle but he'll solve one problem on the right side of the line. One Yankey who will be proud to be a Texan.
3. Christian Jones, ILB, Florida St. - Help and insurance for Brian Cushing.
4. DaQuan Jones, DT, Penn State - You knew O'Brien would get this one.
5. Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington - Slightly undersized but great one-cut back in the mold of Arian Foster.
6. Chris Davis, CB/KR, Auburn - Depth for two positions.
7. Aaron Lynch, DE, South Florida - position depth.

Last edited by HPF Bob; 02-13-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:03 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
A.J. McCarron, QB, Alabama. Rarely makes mistakes.
I guess you haven't seen his tattoo.