IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Regular Starter

Give the man his Gamble money. Hayden got a huge contract and Hayden can't hold Dunta's jock. wtf.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:23 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Bob McNair, feeling compelled to "do right" by Dunta Robinson, promises his agent that he won't franchise him and will give Dunta an opportunity to find his market value.

I hope this doesn't happen but I think it fits McNair's profile and could be a possibility. Hopefully, we'll get a contract done and won't have to worry about it.
Maybe Dunta was not naive, but was hopeful that McNair was.

By the way, can we now go after Sean Jones? It looks like the Browns are not going to franchise him, so let's start bidding.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:33 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
To clarify, the Texans used the non-exclusive tag on Dunta. At least this is what McClain reported... a scenario he thought wouldn't happen all along. Whoops.
Dude's real tied in with the team, isn't he? He gets all the scoops.

The Chronicle is a joke. ESPN broke the illegal practices story (weren't there any reporters at those practices?) and the McGrady story. The Chronicle reporters were busy finger painting and eating glue.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Regular Starter

I suspect that Drob misunderstood (maybe intentionally) if Smith said something like "I don't think we will be using the F-tag", meaning "I expect to get a contract done". If he thought he would just be able to hit UFA with nothing holding him back, then both he and his agent were clueless and I sincerely doubt that is the case.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
I suspect that Drob misunderstood (maybe intentionally) if Smith said something like "I don't think we will be using the F-tag", meaning "I expect to get a contract done". If he thought he would just be able to hit UFA with nothing holding him back, then both he and his agent were clueless and I sincerely doubt that is the case.
One thing pointed out at DGDB&D is that Dunta said that Smith told his agent they wouldn't use the F-Tag. Besides the fact that agents are generally less trustworthy than Lawyers, there's definite chance for misunderstanding. Idon't know why RD and his agent would be so shocked, but I would look at it as proof of my value...that can be used at the negotiating table. If Smith really did mislead them , then that aint right. No question about it. I still feel like something gets done though, possibly before the season.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
Besides the fact that agents are generally less trustworthy than Lawyers, there's definite chance for misunderstanding.
Exactly! DRob is getting his info from the agent, not from the horses mouth. This could also be the reason there was no contract signage. The agent was holding out thinking they could negotiate somewhere else.

I know players hate the franchise tag, and to be told by your agent that the team was not going to do it no matter what and then it happens is sure to make you upset. But talking about not showing up until the season starts is bad form to.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Administrator

I think this is showing up elsewhere, but Rick Smith's side is coming out today:

Quote:
Smith's response amounted to what you'd expect: The Texans didn't want to and didn't plan to, but things change.
"We had a conversation very early in the negotiation process where I indicated I didn't want to use a franchise tag on Dunta and was clear about that because of the negative feelings around the tag. ...

But things change in a negotiation and we had a value that we had placed on him and there are some deals that got done at the end of the season and even as recently as this week and we felt like he fit in that area. That was our initial position for him with respect to valuing his contract and we changed on that, we offered him a deal that exceeded that, we changed a lot of different positions as the thing went, ...

So when they elected to exercise their right of declining our offer that was going to make him one of the highest paid corners I football, we exercised or option to tag him. It's just part of the deal. Now he's upset about it, I understand that. ..."

Those talks won't restart for a while. Smith said he'd let things cool down as the team deals with things that have to be addressed sooner. ...
Smith also disputed the report about Robinson learning of the tag from the media. ...which is a slap to the AP writer that covers the Texans, Kristie Rieken.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/...-s-charge.html
Old 02-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
One thing pointed out at DGDB&D is that Dunta said that Smith told his agent they wouldn't use the F-Tag. Besides the fact that agents are generally less trustworthy than Lawyers, there's definite chance for misunderstanding. Idon't know why RD and his agent would be so shocked, but I would look at it as proof of my value...that can be used at the negotiating table. If Smith really did mislead them , then that aint right. No question about it. I still feel like something gets done though, possibly before the season.
I can't really criticize Rick Smith for that "lie". First of all, it sounds like he was simply communicating his intent to sign Dunta to a long term contract. Second, he didn't gain any edge... so, he wasn't being deceptive. If Dunta had some leverage and Rick Smith asked him to give the leverage up and in return, RS would promise not to franchise him... then, he did franchise him... That would be deceptive and clearly wrong. It appears that all that happened here is that RS communicated his intent not to franchise him and then RS realized he needed to do it... Not a big deal, IMO... Though, it probably added to Dunta's disappointment level when it happened.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:19 PM
All-Pro

Dunta is going to get paid more than Julius Peppers this season, so he should have a Coke and a smile.

$10M is a slap in the face I'll take all week.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:33 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Dunta is going to get paid more than Julius Peppers this season, so he should have a Coke and a smile.
How do figure? Peppers is getting $16.7 million, how is Dunta getting more?
Old 02-21-2009, 02:03 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
How do figure? Peppers is getting $16.7 million, how is Dunta getting more?
It must have been a typo. Along my "ticker" on the NFL network they were showing Franchise players and their salaries. The Had Dunta at $9,957,000 and I think Peppers was $8,991,00 or something along those lines. It just hit me that Peppers was getting screwed if he was getting less than Robinson.

Now that you bring it up, I think I have also heard that Peppers would be getting a raise because he was franchised before.

Last edited by Roy P; 02-21-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:07 PM
All-Pro

So Dunta is highest paid Texan, injured, and he's talking of not reporting. changes my view of him and his leadership abilities quite a bite. hope he cools down and comes to his senses.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Pro Bowler

They tried to compare Dunta with Gamble, who just resigned with $23M guaranteed, 6year contract for about $53M. Dunta turned it down after having been only about 90% last year. I may be wrong but I'm beginning to think he just wants out of here.

Smith said he wouldn't tag him earlier, but when the FA deadline was staring us in the face and Dunta refused to sign an offer on a long term, the team simply had to protect itself.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:09 AM
Regular Starter

Good job to Rick Smith!

If Dunter wants to leave them make another team give us something for him. Had we not slapped him w/the franchise tag after he had turned down the team offer, another team would've gotten him for cheaper and we would've received nothing...as in the Capers years.

Now watch us pick a CB with our first pick. Want to play games D-gone? Want to wait until the season starts to re-negotiate? Here's the team's priority...

"Smith said he'd let things cool down as the team deals with things that have to be addressed sooner."