IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2012, 05:11 PM
All-Pro

For the first time, we need to think a round lower when assessing draft picks because we are so low in the drafting order. IOW, when you hear "third round projection", that is who we should look at in the second round, "fourth round projection" in the third round, etc. because most of the guys we think might be available in a certain round will probably be gone by the time we're on the clock. So, for example, the guys you think merit a third round grade should be the ones you consider with your second round pick along with the guys who have fallen out of earlier rounds. That way, when you're on the clock, you have a pool of guys to consider instead of cursing all the players already taken. Better to go through the draft pleasantly surprised than bitterly disappointed.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:13 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Better to go through the draft pleasantly surprised than bitterly disappointed.
I don't know. As a general rule being bitterly disappointed has always worked pretty well for me.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:48 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
For the first time, we need to think a round lower when assessing draft picks because we are so low in the drafting order. IOW, when you hear "third round projection", that is who we should look at in the second round, "fourth round projection" in the third round, etc. because most of the guys we think might be available in a certain round will probably be gone by the time we're on the clock. So, for example, the guys you think merit a third round grade should be the ones you consider with your second round pick along with the guys who have fallen out of earlier rounds. That way, when you're on the clock, you have a pool of guys to consider instead of cursing all the players already taken. Better to go through the draft pleasantly surprised than bitterly disappointed.
That pretty much sums up how I have approached this draft.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:38 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post

Now if Mario leaves
My whole viewpoint of the Texans' Draft is premised on Mario's departure, isn't yours ?
Old 03-03-2012, 12:57 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
My whole viewpoint of the Texans' Draft is premised on Mario's departure, isn't yours ?
No it's not. I think that it's likely to happen, but I also will not be shocked to see Mario back.

In the whole FA things going on I believe Foster and Meyer's mean more to the team, then Mario. I do not see Mario being worth the money he has been paid, and a rookie came in last year and did a serviceable job.

Now to be clear, I want Mario back and we are better with him than without him, but it comes down to allocation of resources and a team with enough weapons on offense and defense.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:49 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
No it's not. I think that it's likely to happen, but I also will not be shocked to see Mario back.

In the whole FA things going on I believe Foster and Meyer's mean more to the team, then Mario. I do not see Mario being worth the money he has been paid, and a rookie came in last year and did a serviceable job.

Now to be clear, I want Mario back and we are better with him than without him, but it comes down to allocation of resources and a team with enough weapons on offense and defense.
I agree with much of what you say, except I honestly don't want Mario back because as you yourself point out we would have likely had to pay a larger price for him than what he's really worth to us. I will be very surprised if Mario is a Texan in the 2012 season.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:02 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I agree with much of what you say, except I honestly don't want Mario back because as you yourself point out we would have likely had to pay a larger price for him than what he's really worth to us. I will be very surprised if Mario is a Texan in the 2012 season.
Demeco Ryans $5+ million.
Jacoby Jones $3 million.

Drop Demeco and JJ and you have the year one cap number for Mario or very close to it if he signs a long term deal. Throw in Leinhart and look at it this way.

Cut Demeco, JJ, Leinhart. Franchise Mario (terrible deal, but just saying).

Less money than Demeco, JJ, Leinhart, Mario cost last year.

If you resign Mario rather than Franchising him, then cut those 3, you are talking a combined 10-15 million less than those 4 cost us last year. Foster tagged and Meyers can fit in that number.

Where do you think you are allocating resources that help us more than Mario? Do we have some high impact way to spend that money that I don't know about? Any FA we try to go out and sign is going to involve even more overpaying than we would do to keep mario.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:20 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Demeco Ryans $5+ million.
Jacoby Jones $3 million.

Drop Demeco and JJ and you have the year one cap number for Mario or very close to it if he signs a long term deal. Throw in Leinhart and look at it this way.

Cut Demeco, JJ, Leinhart. Franchise Mario (terrible deal, but just saying).

Less money than Demeco, JJ, Leinhart, Mario cost last year.

If you resign Mario rather than Franchising him, then cut those 3, you are talking a combined 10-15 million less than those 4 cost us last year. Foster tagged and Meyers can fit in that number.

Where do you think you are allocating resources that help us more than Mario? Do we have some high impact way to spend that money that I don't know about? Any FA we try to go out and sign is going to involve even more overpaying than we would do to keep mario.
I hear you, but it's just that I don't think Mario is worth the kind of money to the Texans it's expected he's gonna receive from the team that ultimately signs him, whether or not we could potentially put the deal together.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:23 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I hear you, but it's just that I don't think Mario is worth the kind of money to the Texans it's expected he's gonna receive from the team that ultimately signs him, whether or not we could potentially put the deal together.
I agree he's not. But I also think that almost nobody who signs in the first half of FA is "worth" the money they get.

Letting go of Mario either allows us to overpay for someone else in FA, or it allows us to keep guys like Demeco/JJ/Leinhart (who are more overpaid). I guess I'd rather overpay Mario than anyone else we might get/keep. Not sure it works out that way, but I am just saying their is plenty of dead weight and bad contracts I'd look at long before letting Mario walk.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Any FA we try to go out and sign is going to involve even more overpaying than we would do to keep mario.
This is about as concise as can be said.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:57 PM
All-Pro

Default Draftsite.com 3.1.12

back on topic

26 Mohamed Sanu* WR Rutgers 6' 2" 218
58 Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin 6' 4" 315
89 Josh Chapman DT Alabama 6' 1" 310
121 Aaron Henry S Wisconsin 6' 0" 210
153 Sammy Brown OLB Houston 6' 3" 240
184 Matt Reynolds OT BYU 6' 6" 325
216 Randy Bullock K Texas A&M 5' 9" 205

Not sold on Sanu, i love Zeitler, not a huge fan of Chapman.

I would look at this one a little differently

26 Stephen Hill* WR Georgia Tech 6' 5" 206
58 Shea McClellin OLB Boise State 6' 3" 262
89 Harrison Smith S Notre Dame 6' 2" 212
121 Isaiah Pead RB Cincinnati 5' 10" 193
153 Donald Stephenson OT Oklahoma 6' 6" 309
184 Janzen Jackson CB McNeese State 6' 0" 182
216 William Vlachos OC Alabama 6' 1" 292

I like the size speed combo of Hill a lot more than I like Sanu. McClellin explodes across the line and would be an excellent addition to our OLB rotation. IMO there is no way Smith falls to us in the 3rd, he is a solid 2nd rounder that might creep into the 1st. You guys already know I like Pead in the 3rd so the 4th round was a no brainer for me. Stephenson showed quickness and we like quickness. Jackson comes with baggage and I do not see use taking him but he has talent.Vlachos had to block some monsters everyday in practice for the Tide so he is worth a 7th round pick.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Drafted Rookie

26 Ryan Tannehill QB TAMU 6' 4" 216
+ This is the year to draft replacement. Future value pick.

58 Coryell Judie CB TAMU 5' 11" 188
+ ST Gunner/Returner. It's a third of the game, my friends.

89 Jeff Fuller WR TAMU 6' 4" 215
+ Total opposite of that WR whose name shall not be mentioned. Reliable target, but no YAC.

121 Audie Cole ILB NCSt 6' 5" 239
+ Tough-as-nails inside backer who can cover tall, fast TEs.

153 DeAngelo Peterson TE LSU 6' 4" 243
+ Pass-catchin' token TE taken

+ Clean-livin' anchor of brotherhood that thought sacks were sins.

216 Chris Galippo ILB USC 6' 2" 250
+ Backer/ST depth. I don't know why this guy is available this late.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:17 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoneil View Post
26 Ryan Tannehill QB TAMU 6' 4" 216
+ This is the year to draft replacement. Future value pick.

58 Coryell Judie CB TAMU 5' 11" 188
+ ST Gunner/Returner. It's a third of the game, my friends.

89 Jeff Fuller WR TAMU 6' 4" 215
+ Total opposite of that WR whose name shall not be mentioned. Reliable target, but no YAC.

121 Audie Cole ILB NCSt 6' 5" 239
+ Tough-as-nails inside backer who can cover tall, fast TEs.

153 DeAngelo Peterson TE LSU 6' 4" 243
+ Pass-catchin' token TE taken

+ Clean-livin' anchor of brotherhood that thought sacks were sins.

216 Chris Galippo ILB USC 6' 2" 250
+ Backer/ST depth. I don't know why this guy is available this late.
Tannehill is intriguing with the size/arm/athleticism combo, but he seems to really lack QB skills. I don't think I could take such a high risk pick in the 1st round. What are the chances that he is an upgrade over Schaub at any point in the next 3 years? For that matter is he better than Yates in the next 2 years? For a team with a chance to win, I don't think I could spend a 1st rounder on a guy who won't play soon and may not ever be good. I'd trade the 1st rounder to someone interested in Tannehill before drafting him.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 AM
All-Pro

CBS Sports has added and updated several mocks with 4 of 6 saying we will now take Baylor's Kendall Wright but all are in agreement we are taking a WR. Personally, I'd love Wright over any other WR choice other than Blackmon.

I do believe, however, that if we can't come to terms with Myers, we will be drafting Peter Konz with our first choice.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:45 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
CBS Sports has added and updated several mocks with 4 of 6 saying we will now take Baylor's Kendall Wright but all are in agreement we are taking a WR. Personally, I'd love Wright over any other WR choice other than Blackmon.

I do believe, however, that if we can't come to terms with Myers, we will be drafting Peter Konz with our first choice.
I'd love Wright. PR and KR is one of the only spots on this roster begging for an upgrade, and Wright is electric.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Prior to the Combine I would have agreed with you about Wright, but the less than inspiring 4.61/40, has changed my mind. And I don't think we will be drafting OL in the first round.

In my estimation, we need to cut JJ and Walters, and draft a couple of WRs to add to our explosivenes. It will also take some of the double teams off AJ.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:34 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Prior to the Combine I would have agreed with you about Wright, but the less than inspiring 4.61/40, has changed my mind. And I don't think we will be drafting OL in the first round.

In my estimation, we need to cut JJ and Walters, and draft a couple of WRs to add to our explosivenes. It will also take some of the double teams off AJ.
If a 40 time is slow it is a red flag to me and it makes me look at the film. Kendall Wright is the fastest guy on the film against NFL talent every week. I have no speed concerns about him.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Veteran Depth

I had a few minutes and saw this recent version of draftsite.com

26 Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina 6' 3" 234
58 Brandon Washington OG Miami 6' 4" 320
89 Marcus Forston DT Miami 6' 3" 305
121 Cam Johnson DE Virginia 6' 4" 265
153 Janzen Jackson S McNeese State 6' 0" 182
184 Carmen Messina ILB New Mexico 6' 2" 222
216 Marcel Jones OT Nebraska 6' 6" 320

Can't say I'm crazy about any of those picks.

I took a couple of players at the end of the draft before they were actually gone in the following round (or undrafted) by draftsite.

Whitney Mercilus
Josh Chapman
Phillip Blake
Joe Adams
Amini Silatolu
Akiem Hicks
Devon Wylie

I would really like to get Mike Martin in the 3rd, but if Blake were there, I think I would have to take him.

Draftsite had Wylie undrafted, but I thought he looked very quick at the combine, in addition to plus straight-line speed. It looked like he had good hands, too. I can't say I've researched much for this draft class. Mostly going by what I have read and my impressions at the Combine & Senior Bowl.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:46 PM
All-Pro

My Cherry Pick is like this:
26 Alshon Jeffery* WR South Carolina 6' 3" 234 or Stephen Hill* WR Georgia Tech 6' 5" 206
58 Harrison Smith S Notre Dame 6' 2" 212
89 Philip Blake OC Baylor 6' 3" 315
121 Kheeston Randall DE Texas 6' 5" 295
153 Donald Stephenson OT Oklahoma 6' 6" 309
184 Malik Jackson OLB Tennessee 6' 5" 265
216 John Brantley QB Florida 6' 3" 218

I still like Hill, but if Jeffery has a solid pro day later this month, I could be happy with him. Smith looks the part at safety. I agree with idymoe here and I also believe we lose all of our FAs, Blake is a stud at OC. I like Randall for our DE rotation. Stephenson has the quickness we look for. And Brantley is a sleeper QB that can be groomed.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:51 AM
Regular Starter

my draft predictions:

26. Coby Fleener TE Stanford 6' 6" 248
I have him as the top player on the board when we pick with Hill and Floyd gone. He's a nightmare to matchup against and upgrades a very important part of our offense. OD isn't the player he once was, but lined up with AJ and the explosive Fleener would make his job a whole lot easier. Also free's Dressen to walk in FA. Not to mention it takes Luck's favorite target off the board. First Team All PAC-10 TE.

58. Kendall Reyes DT/NT Conn 6'4" 300
A disruptive clog in the middle that is a load to handle. Very tough against the run. Had a great career at UConn finishing with All Big East First Team. Cody's apparent heir to take over the NT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS0rD...layer_embedded

89. Marvin Jones WR Cal 6' 2" 201
Very smooth route runner with excellent hands and polish. Can line up anywhere on the field and make plays for you, 4.4 speed. Was the top WR on the north squad at the senior bowl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boy0tkwcv-A

121. Malik Jackson DE3-4 Tenn 6'5" 284
All SEC-First Team by AP, great kid with a high motor, shown by his 56 tackles as a DL last year. A.Smith's replacement in waiting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA5-Z...layer_embedded

153. Cyrus Gray RB Texas A&M 5'10" 206
Our 3rd RB and kick returner. Derrick Ward looked pretty old last year, can help in a number of different ways and could come in handy considering how often our RB's have had to miss time. Knows how to pick up the blitz which is a must for Kube's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxEWO...ayer_embedded#!

184. Miles Burris 3-4OLB San Siego State 6'2" 246
Total Beast mode type of player that looks like a steal in the 6th. All Mountain West First team last year. He'd be our rotation 3rd OLB keeping the pass rush fresh. This kid could turn out so good it's Scary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtlON...ayer_embedded#!

216. Tyler Horn C Miami 6'4" 308
Some depth at center that can play guard if needed.