IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Regular Starter

Default Jaques Reeves

I don't know how many of you ever read any of KC Joyner's stuff, but it relies heavily on stats and the metrics he's come up with. I like the idea of looking deeper into the stats to get something more meaningful, like OBPS in baseball vs. just batting average. The way most of his stuff is done leaves some room for subjectivity, but he tries to outline how he breaks down each category.

Anyway I just found an old article from him where he talks about underrated players and one of them was Reeves. I thought it was interesting if for no other reason than the only people who seem to agree with him are the Texans staff.

KC Joyner

Quote:
Jacques Reeves, CB, Texans: Reeves, formerly of the Cowboys, had a 7.9 YPA in 2007. That number alone says he is average, but it is skewed somewhat by three of his games. Reeves struggled in Week 2 at Miami, got beat for a 69-yard touchdown by Donte' Stallworth in Week 6 against New England and had a subpar showing in Week 11 against Washington.

Take those three tilts out of his numbers, and Reeves' YPA drops to 7.0, which is a starting-cornerback level YPA. He might not be a shutdown cornerback, but he certainly is an upgrade for a weak Houston secondary that can use all the help it can get.
I disagree with taking out his "bad days", but according to him we shouldn't be as worried about who will play corner opposite Bennet until Dunta comes back. If you look earlier in the article he slams Drayton Florence's 10.8 ypa, and claims that numbers like those usually get a player benched or released.

I'm really not sure how much stock to put into all this, but I thought it was interesting.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:04 PM
All-Pro

Yeah, and if you take Adam Everett's bad plate appearances out, he's a .300 hitter.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Yeah, it's kinda tough to ignore those plays. Probably something similar could be said about Petey, like take away those two 83-yd TD passes he gave up and he actually played a good game.

That's just the life of a corner.

Hopefully these guys, will all get better help in deep coverage from the safeties, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:19 AM
Veteran Depth

After reading the Football Outsiders early free agency review, I felt a bit better about the Reeves signing and since then I've heard more positive than negative so I guess I'll just wait and see.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:58 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Yeah, it's kinda tough to ignore those plays. Probably something similar could be said about Petey, like take away those two 83-yd TD passes he gave up and he actually played a good game.
Lee Evans tore us a new one that day.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Regular Starter

The taking out the bad plays is ridiculous, but even with those in he still rates his as average.....which is 100x better than what most people have said about him.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Drafted Rookie

At least the Reeves acquisition doesn't carry the sting of the 2nd and 3rd given up for P-Buch the tackling machine. I think the Reeves bonus money is reasonable for a guy with starting experience and at worst he's DEPTH. This franchise is finally coming around to the point where they have to start making tough decisions for roster spots because of the depth Smith/Kubiak have brought in.