IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Not Quite ...In the Bullseye > The Other Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2011, 08:41 AM
All-Pro

Default Astros Updates

Ok, Astros appear to have a new owner, so, this leads to some hope of upgrades coming for the team.

So, here is a thru the half full rosy glasses observation of a perhaps easy fix.

It seems the Astros have had 11 or 12 blown saves already this year, ie. need a better closer.

If they had a closer who had successfully closed 10 of those games as say Wagner or Lidge would have in past, then Astros would be 28-20 instead of 18-30. ie. perhaps leading the division and among best in baseball rather than the bottom.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:56 PM
All-Pro

That's certainly an optimistic view. Incidentally, a blown save can occur in the sixth or seventh inning so it's possible that if a certain reliever did not blow the save, the next reliever might have.

Truly, the bullpen has been far worse than anyone expected but it's not the only problem.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Hall of Fame

Whelp, there a good chance they could be near .500 if they had a "normal" save percentage. The Astros are currently last in the NL at 38% Save Percentage (they've blown 13 of 21 chances) where as the National League norm is 68%.

Man, for a while there it was like, who's going to blow it today? Lyon, Fulchino, Abad.... the guys Mills was trotting out there in the late innings did not really inspire. And Mills sometimes doesn't seem to have a feel for when to yank a guy though he seems to be doing better lately. Melancon has emerged as the only somewhat reliable reliever/closer.

They have tough decision what with Lyles looking so good in his first outing. How could he fit in? Myers, Wandy, Happ, Norris, An-Rod seems to be the rotation. I'd like to see them give Wandy a little extra time to heal and give Lyles a few more starts....

Barmes is hitting .225 and has a whopping 6 RBI (6!) in 102 AB's. That's tough to do. Compare with Keppinger at 5 RBI in 22 AB's...

Wallace has been good but he's also been not good with runners in scoring position.... He's got some pretty ugly stats when people are on base... I expect him to get better at this....

I wish they could find a home for Carlos Lee...

The offense has been a (good) surprise, so far. If they could just get a little more consistent pitching - especially, bullpen.....
Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 AM
All-Pro

Hey, baseball draft is today. So, wonder who they will draft .

And when will the sale to new owner be final?

Carlos Lee , would someone need a DH please?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:45 PM
All-Pro

The sale ought to be completed by the All-Star Break.

Lee finally has his OPS (.710) as high as Michael Bourn's. Incidentally, the A.L. is having an absolutely terrible year for left fielders so perhaps there is hope - scant hope but possible.

The Astros drafted a college outfielder, George Springer, in the first round. He's said to be a center fielder but his profile says right fielder to me. He might be Carlos' replacement if he comes through the minors in a hurry but, more likely, he's Hunter Pence insurance.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:41 AM
All-Pro

well, Astros seem to be having a fire sale - Pence and Bourne may both get to playoffs this year, so good luck to them. I thought both were better than average, having good years, close to All-Star level, just overall pitching is very weak this year for Astros.

see what else, perhaps two pitchers - Rodriguez, and Myers still to be traded.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros...-the-playoffs/

Who knows, maybe Lee to AL as DH? hope, hope.

Keppinger already went to Giants, so he may be in playoffs as well.
http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros...th-for-altuve/

And the sale to Crane is still waiting, perhaps till Aug. 18, and maybe to go to AL? hmm

And then rebuilding begins it seems
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2011/07/...e-is-on-track/

Astros's likely to have their worst record ever this year, not surprizing with all the changes and poor pitching results.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:37 PM
All-Pro

What are you complaining about? We have the best AA team money can buy.

Perhaps the grand plan is to fold the Astros and move the Rays to Houston. That way, they can be the AL team Bud Selig and Nolan Ryan wants and the thankless Tampa fans will get what they deserve. The only question is which other team is getting the hook. Oakland, maybe?
Old 09-10-2011, 02:43 AM
Hall of Fame

If they make Crane take us in the American League, I'm going to be really, really mad for a long, long time...
Old 09-10-2011, 11:44 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
If they make Crane take us in the American League, I'm going to be really, really mad for a long, long time...
I'll be really, really mad for a short time and then find something else to do over the summer.

Bud Selig has been a disaster for fans (yet a godsend for owners). Sadly I am a fan, not an owner.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:30 PM
All-Pro

Did you see Astros beat the Astros North/Phillies 5-1 last night. And holding on a record setting loss season with what, 15 games to go. Poor Oswalt.

Not sure I care if Astros are in AL or NL in future, they have shifted around before. I would like to see the sale deal done, so perhaps Crane can bring in some good pitchers for next years team to give us a little hope things will improve back to playoff form sooner rather than latter.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:31 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
Did you see Astros beat the Astros North/Phillies 5-1 last night. And holding on a record setting loss season with what, 15 games to go. Poor Oswalt.

Not sure I care if Astros are in AL or NL in future, they have shifted around before. I would like to see the sale deal done, so perhaps Crane can bring in some good pitchers for next years team to give us a little hope things will improve back to playoff form sooner rather than latter.
Crane's going to cut the payroll in half, dude; he's not bringing in anybody.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:20 PM
All-Pro

Yeah, much of the money is borrowed so Crane is going to build the team on the cheap to start with.

Here's the latest I'e had to say about this:

http://www.astrosdaily.com/column/11109090317fan.html
Old 09-14-2011, 01:35 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Here's the latest I'e had to say about this:

http://www.astrosdaily.com/column/11109090317fan.html
Funny. I am a Panamanian and I do love Carlos Lee. I won't miss him too much in 2013, but I like watching him play.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Drafted Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post

The Astros have never played as part of the AL. There have been division realignments a couple of times over the years. I kinda felt sorry for Roy O, too. It seemed he could never get run support when he played here. Ironic, isn't it?