IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Regular Starter

Default Texans' minicamp drills questioned

I'm surprised we are just now hearing about this...though my gues is it's pretty common. There were a lot of compalints about Coughlin's offseason program too....before the Giants won the Superbowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/n...ory?id=3885900
Old 02-05-2009, 10:24 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
I'm surprised we are just now hearing about this...though my gues is it's pretty common. There were a lot of compalints about Coughlin's offseason program too....before the Giants won the Superbowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/n...ory?id=3885900
I'd never even heard of Dan Stevenson but he claims that himself and others, like Jordan Black, were injured in mini-camp drills that violate the CBA with the NFLPA. Claims they were doing full-contract drills in only helmets with no pads.

BTW, the Texans' legal counsel on this is named "Suzie".
Old 02-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Regular Starter

They show a short clip from the tape that it sounds like he stole of the drill in question...didn't look excessive to me at all. It might be against the rules though, I have no idea.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Regular Starter

That video didnt look like "full contact". Some of the videos of drills they do in TC without pads or even helmets sometimes seem more violent that that.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Administrator

I need a popcorn-chewing emoticon... this is high drama for the closed-door Texans. Interesting too that Fred Weary along with Jordan Black are supporting Stevenson's allegations.

It was a bit odd with the # of OL injuries before training camp last season, esp considering that I remember last year's training camp to be one of the more injury-free ones the team has ever had.

Maybe we'll see more video when OTL airs on Sunday morning (8am CT)?
Old 02-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Regular Starter

I am suspicious of these allegations. Not to say that it didn't happen just like they are alleging, but it does seem highly suspicious that the only guys injured are ex-players who were marginal and are at or near the end of their careers. I am assuming that the actual injuries are real, but I'm somewhat doubtful that they are being truthful about how and when they happened.
Sounds like a good way to pick up a final paycheck.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:00 PM
All-Pro

610 AM has an interview with Fred Weary posted. Sounds like he is not really supporting this, sounds like he got tricked into agreeing with this.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Drafted Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
610 AM has an interview with Fred Weary posted. Sounds like he is not really supporting this, sounds like he got tricked into agreeing with this.
The blurb on ESPN says that Weary supports the allegations (the drills took place), but not Stevenson's demand for compensation (it's all part of the game). Looks like Stevenson wants his name in the paper and one last payday.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtinylittle View Post
I am suspicious of these allegations. Not to say that it didn't happen just like they are alleging, but it does seem highly suspicious that the only guys injured are ex-players who were marginal and are at or near the end of their careers. I am assuming that the actual injuries are real, but I'm somewhat doubtful that they are being truthful about how and when they happened.
Sounds like a good way to pick up a final paycheck.
1. There is an enormous fear of being "blacklisted", especially for marginal players.

2. Stevenson recorded video of the workout showing the illegal contact. Sat what you will of his methods, but he needn't say a word to show how and when the illegal contact occurred.

I've been a bit lazy in compiling my thoughts on this for the front page of the site, but my bottom-line is this: what the Texans' coaches failed to limit may not be any different than what the other 31 teams are doing, but that still doesn't "right a wrong".

I think to many fans, this is akin to getting a speeding ticket for driving 45 in a 35 mph zone on a sunshiny afternoon, but it is breaking the rule nonetheless. I do not fault Stevenson for sticking up for himself or his livelihood, and I am disappointed in the Texans for making his post-injury medical adjudication another off-field drama.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Regular Starter

I am a person who cares deeply about the truth. I've been that way as long as I can remember. When I read this story it didn't pass my smell test. So far, it still doesn't.

That being said, I'm not pissed at what Stevenson is doing. Marginal players like him work tremendously hard all their lives at a sport which is brutal and leaves a lot of its participants with lifelong injuries. If he makes some coin out of this, so be it.

All teams are guilty of violating the union agreements in one way or another. The union has known this for a long time and has chosen to let it slide. But there is a new contract to be negotiated and I think the union is now trying to stir some dust. Especially since they have new leadership that probably wants to make its own mark.

If the Texans get punished for unauthorized practices, I'm not going to be much bothered by it. It may seem unfair if they end up being the only ones being punished, but they seem to be the only ones who have been caught with photographic evidence. Sometimes life isn't fair.