IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2009, 08:08 AM
All-Pro

Default Cushing signs

Looks like Brian will show up at camp today. Glad everyone is signed now and getting ready for the season. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6557049.html
Old 08-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Regular Starter

Glad he's in the fold. Let's get the season started. However, to nitpick, I was somewhat surprised to read he was in Los Angeles. If he was close to signing, I would have preferred he be in Houston so he can get on the field with his teammates immediately.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Drafted Rookie

Yep good news. I hope we can extend DeMeco and Owen just before the season starts so all is well in Texans land. I just don't care anymore about Dunta. He can sit out all year if he wants. If he signs a day or 2 before the season starts then he will have officially screwed the Texans. He will be worthless for at least 2 games and not up to speed for probably half a season if ever. We just don't know.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:32 AM
All-Pro

METAIRIE, La. — Saints top draft choice Malcolm Jenkins did not report to training camp with the rest of the team and general manager Mickey Loomis said he was pessimistic that Jenkins would be signed to a contract any time soon.

Loomis said Thursday night that he has not spoken with Jenkins' agent, Ben Dogra, since last week, when the Saints made their initial offer to the cornerback out of Ohio State.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ers1QD99P3NC00
Looks like the Draft pick right ahead of Cushing is not anywhere near an agreement with the Saints, so so much for concerns about that deal needing to get done before the Cushing/Texans deal could be consummated.
I dunno for sure, but don't Cushing & Jenkins have the same agent or atleast the same company representing them ?
Old 08-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
Glad he's in the fold. Let's get the season started. However, to nitpick, I was somewhat surprised to read he was in Los Angeles. If he was close to signing, I would have preferred he be in Houston so he can get on the field with his teammates immediately.
I thought the same about Cushing being in LA.

I had also wondered how much the Jenkins and Saints would really affect the Cushing negotiations since they were two different positions.

I believe Orakpo, Jenkins and Cushing are represented by the same agency.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Pro Bowler

Dogra & Conlan are the agents for both players. However, I couldn't care less about Jenkins, I am just glad we got our guy signed.

As for Cushing being in L.A., what's the big deal? Hop an airline and he's here for the afternoon practice.

I am really glad we now have all of our rookies signed and Rick Smith can now concentrate on our recalcitrants.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:36 PM
All-Pro

The Texans wanted him in LA. Their insurance on him expired last week, and he was not alloyed on their property, they did not even want him tempted to come in, all due to insurance.

That is why he went to LA last Wednesday and he was working with Ken Norton Jr. out there. As someone else said he a was only a short flight away.

The team has not worked out in pads yet so he has not missed much, mainly review of OTAs.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Regular Starter

One of the recaps on the mainsite quoted Kubes or Smith saying something about Cushing wanting to be in Houston during negotiations and it just wasnt working out and it was no bog deal.

I was starting to wonder about him when I read that he was in LA, but after I read that I figured there was more going on than just him not being in Houston.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Contract info:
Quote:
After missing the first two days of Texans training camp before agreeing to a five-year, $14 million contract Saturday, outside linebacker Brian Cushing is eager to get on the practice field today with his new teammates.

Cushing, the first-round draft choice from Southern California, is getting $10.435 million in guaranteed money...

Cushing’s contract could be worth a maximum of $18 million over five years.

In the fifth year of his deal, there’s a clause that could earn him an additional $4 million in an escalator bonus.

Odds are that Cushing’s contract will be extended before he enters the fifth season in 2013. ...
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6557049.html
Old 08-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Regular Starter

Seems like a pretty reasonable contract to me. Your thoughts Keith?
Old 08-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Seems like a pretty reasonable contract to me. Your thoughts Keith?
There is generally little wiggle room when it comes to signing these rookies, so unless something is completely out of whack, then I have no complaints. Where I usually have complaints is during the first couple weeks of UFA signings in March (or sometimes in the re-signings the team might do year-round).

Cushing, like all first rounders, will either live up to this deal or he won't. His guaranteed money is relatively fair. Until 1.14 signs and 1.16 #s are widely reported, it's tough to say exactly. The $4M escalator is probably based on a simple incentive, and it's probably there to encourage both parties to negotiate an extension after year three or four.

Fwiw, 1.17 was a QB (Freeman) and his guarantees are $10.245M per a report, and the contract had a much higher total value probably because he's a QB. 1.13 was a DE (Orakpo), and his was $20M total and $12.1 guaranteed. So Cushing's is fine... just the first round wage scale is a little bonkers.