IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Regular Starter

I am sick at this mismanagement. You don't let an asset walk away with out getting anything for him, this is a business, and they are about to let one of the team's best assets become a free agent without any avenue of recompense.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul View Post
I am sick at this mismanagement. You don't let an asset walk away with out getting anything for him, this is a business, and they are about to let one of the team's best assets become a free agent without any avenue of recompense.
I agree with your concern... but, the deadline hasn't passed yet. So, save your outrage for tomorrow afternoon. Also, let's not forget how poor Houston sports media coverage is. He could have been franchised on Monday but the fat man can only focus on one thing at a time.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Drafted Rookie

Yeah, I'm not taking McClane's report as proof of anything. I still have confidence that this team will either sign Dunta or franchise him.

Brass can't be too happy with the Colts right now, though.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:52 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul View Post
they are't going to franchise him until the last second so they can try to get a deal worked out, so i wouldnt go getting mad just yet
Old 02-19-2009, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninRaven View Post
Yeah, I'm not taking McClane's report as proof of anything. I still have confidence that this team will either sign Dunta or franchise him.
I think this is true. From McClain's article in today's chron.com:
Quote:
The only way the Texans are guaranteed of keeping Robinson is designating him as the first franchise player in team history. The deadline for teams to franchise players is 3 p.m. today.

If the Texans use the franchise tag on Robinson, he’ll get a one-year contract of $9.957 million. That also would give them more time to negotiate a new deal. ...

Both sides have refused to discuss the negotiations.
That last sentence is most telling. It is not that unusual for the Texans to withhold comment from the chron, but for an agent and player to keep shut really hurts the reporter's ability to get anything notable.

The first two paragraphs are about the most he has mentioned the f-tag without shoving it aside as if it weren't a possibility.

Honestly, I love me some Dunta... but even I'm nervous about giving him $20+ million guaranteed. I would have tagged him myself a week ago and twice on Sunday.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I think this is true. From McClain's article in today's chron.com:

That last sentence is most telling. It is not that unusual for the Texans to withhold comment from the chron, but for an agent and player to keep shut really hurts the reporter's ability to get anything notable.

The first two paragraphs are about the most he has mentioned the f-tag without shoving it aside as if it weren't a possibility.

Honestly, I love me some Dunta... but even I'm nervous about giving him $20+ million guaranteed. I would have tagged him myself a week ago and twice on Sunday.
Desperation breed innovation. So, here goes:

I'm going to take the fact that Dunta and his agent refuse to comment about the ongoing negotiations as a sign that a deal is pretty close. Otherwise, players and agents generally make some public declarations in order to put some pressure on the organization or do so simply out of frustration. While Dunta is certainly a quality person and employee, silence hasn't exactly been his M.O. when he sees things he doesn't like.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:50 AM
All-Pro

If they don't tag D-Rob today it probably means the Texans don't think he's got it anymore and they're very pessimistic about him returning to his previous form. He's popular among teammates & fans, but 10M is alot of money for one year to just confirm what they may already have concluded about a player which they feel is only a shadow of his former self ?
Old 02-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Regular Starter

As of 10:37 the Texans have slapped Dunta with the Franchise tag, per the Chronicle.

chron.com

I hope that they can negotiate a long term deal. This also means that I won't have to scrap my Steel Blue #23 jersey.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
As of 10:37 the Texans have slapped Dunta with the Franchise tag, per the Chronicle.

chron.com

I hope that they can negotiate a long term deal. This also means that I won't have to scrap my Steel Blue #23 jersey.
Good to hear it. While people can disagree whether he's worth this much, the Texans have the cap room and I think Dunta is worth overpaying for 1 year to see if he can bounce back.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

chron.com

Hallejuh. My outrage was wasted apparently.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:18 PM
All-Pro

The key here is that they have exclusive right to negotiate with him. Now you know he will be a Texan this season, and he knows they want him back.

the negative can be Dunta getting upset about the tag. If the team gets aggressive in signing him to a long term deal, i can see no foul. I still think they get a multi year deal done before camp.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Administrator

To clarify, the Texans used the non-exclusive tag on Dunta. At least this is what McClain reported... a scenario he thought wouldn't happen all along. Whoops.

The non-exclusive part means he can negotiate with other teams. Should one sign him to an offer sheet, the Texans have the right to match OR receive 2 first rounders in return.

The Texans went thru a similar scenaio with the Rams and Orlando Pace a number of years ago. Pace basically took what the Texans were planning to offer him, and the Rams agreed to offer those terms to him.

No team is going to want to give up two 1sts for Dunta, but his rights could be traded for something less. I expect though that the Texans would want more in a trade than what any other team would be willing to give up for him, so I don't think he's going anywhere this year.

So... the worry now becomes 'when will Dunta report?' since his health in 2009 is of vital importance to him.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
I think Dunta's price tag just went up....

From PFT:

COLTS, HAYDEN WORK OUT A DEAL
Posted by Mike Florio on February 18, 2009, 9:42 p.m.
The Indianapolis Colts planned to use the franchise tag on cornerback Kelvin Hayden.

As it turns out, they won’t have to.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, the Colts and Hayden worked out a deal on the eve of the deadline for using the franchise tag.

It’s a five-year, $43 million deal, with $23 million in guaranteed money.

Hayden becomes the team’s fourth player who received $20 million or more in guaranteed money on a long-term deal. The others are quarterback Peyton Manning, defensive end Dwight Freeney, and safety Bob Sanders.
Isn't that about what Robinson has been asking for, around 23 Mill or so gauranteed?
Old 02-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
Isn't that about what Robinson has been asking for, around 23 Mill or so gauranteed?
That is what was reported. Problem is that I am sure Dunta feels that he should be paid like a top 5 corner, not "just a guy."
Old 02-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
The non-exclusive part means he can negotiate with other teams. Should one sign him to an offer sheet, the Texans have the right to match and receive 2 first rounders in return.
Shouldn't that read:
"The non-exclusive part means he can negotiate with other teams. Should one sign him to an offer sheet, the Texans have the right to match or receive 2 first rounders in return. "
Old 02-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Shouldn't that read:
Yeah, fixed it, thanks. I never proofread my stuff enough!
Old 02-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Drafted Rookie

Well, the Raiders just gave Asomugha a 3 yr. $45 million dollar deal with $28.3 million guaranteed. I'm thinking Al's not getting a Christmas card from McNair this year.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:50 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger57 View Post
Well, the Raiders just gave Asomugha a 3 yr. $45 million dollar deal with $28.3 million guaranteed. I'm thinking Al's not getting a Christmas card from McNair this year.
Wow that granteed money is a big number, but this guy is supposedly the
leagues top corner at this time.
But here's my question: where do the Raiders keep getting this cap from ?
Last year they draft the what #3, #4 overall and year before that they had the #1 overall. It's like a bottomless pit.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Well, this was predictable. Dunta says he feels betrayed.
Quote:
Robinson said general manager Rick Smith told he and his agent he would not be tagged in recent weeks.

"Tagging was out of the question according to Rick," Robinson told The Associated Press. "I was told that. I just feel betrayed. I'm disappointed that they lied to me."...

"Dunta is an important part of our team and organization," Smith said. "We worked extremely hard to try and get a long-term contract done with him. However we were unable to reach an agreement. We hope to reach a long-term deal that ensures that Dunta will remain a Houston Texan for years to come."

Robinson learned of his status from reporters calling for interviews about the situation. ...

"I'm still able to play football and I love my team," he said. "I love playing for the city of Houston. Something somebody does or something somebody says is not going to affect my game in a negative way."

At the end of last season, Robinson said he hoped to finish his career in Houston. Now the 26-year-old isn't sure that's the right move.

"Because of my teammates and because of this city and my family ... I really don't want to leave," he said. "But a situation like this makes it much, much harder to stay."
Old 02-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
So... the worry now becomes 'when will Dunta report?' since his health in 2009 is of vital importance to him.
Ooh, predictible again!

Quote:
“I don’t know what I’m going to do,” Robinson said. “If you ask me right now, I wouldn’t be there (training camp).
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6269456.html

Other quotes from the chron.com article:

Quote:
“I’m upset and frustrated because they were dishonest with me,” Robinson said. “They told me they weren’t going to franchise me. I wasn’t expecting it." ...

“Look, making $10 million is a blessing, even though I wanted a long-term deal,” Robinson said. “But I was told I wouldn’t get tagged. That’s dishonest, and I’m mad about it.

“I don’t appreciate him (Smith) telling my agent that I wouldn’t get tagged and then doing it, anyway.” ...
For starters, it'd be kind of a "d*ck move" (anyone else watch the Venture Brothers?) by Rick Smith to not be so forthcoming. You'd think he'd mention the possibility since it might have motivated Dunta and his agent to find a middle ground before today.

On the other hand, how f'ing naive must Dunta and his agent be to believe that there would be no shot a being tagged? I mean, come on. Seriously.