IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 01-04-2021, 03:42 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
I could live with Caserio. He's supposed to be a really sharp guy contrary to some of the other Patriot imports...
I thought Caserio had signed a new contract with the Krafts and therefor was
untouchable to any other NFL organizations ?
Old 01-04-2021, 05:59 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I want to move on from the Patriots, no team has been able to emulate the Pats, and I want a real front office. A GM who is the boss, he is the personel guy. He picks the HC. Like most teams in the league.

Without Belichick, this system has not work anywhere else in the league.
Understandable. However, it's early in the Belichick/Brady breakup and Belichick's team is not doing that great and Brady's team is doing fine. So, it's possible the greatness that is Brady contributed a lot to Belichick's rep. Probably need a few more years to make an accurate call on that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I thought Caserio had signed a new contract with the Krafts and therefor was
untouchable to any other NFL organizations ?
I don't know. Just looking at the links from Painekiller, it looked like Caserio is available for interviews.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:44 PM
Regular Starter

When the NFL changed up the rules related to hiring in May, they added a prohibition on restricting opportunities for upward mobility through employment contract provisions, such as requirements for the employee to decline interview requests or that the team be compensated if the employee moves, etc. So Caserio can interview if it's for a promotion.

I have seen reports that they requested interviews with Scott Cohen (Ravens Director of Football Research), Trent Kirchner (Seahawks VP of Player Personnel), Malik Boyd (Bills Director of Player Personnel), and Alonzo Highsmith (Seahawks Personnel Executive).

On the HC side, Matt Eberflus (Colts DC) and Brian Daboll (Bills OC).

It has also been reported than O'Brien is talking to Nick Saban about the Alabama OC vacancy.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:58 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
and Alonzo Highsmith (Seahawks Personnel Executive).
I was lucky enough to meet Alonzo on a flight back in the days he was a scout for the Packers. I really came away impressed and he was a very likable guy. He has been with a few very good organizations and I for one would be happy to see him end up here in Houston.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:47 AM
Administrator

Mothership announced they interviewed Omar Khan for GM... very interesting candidate. Has been with Steelers since 2001 and is seen a bit more as a cap guy than traditional scout (though he's been in pro football since graduation from Tulane). Considering the team has some cap obstacles to overcome in 2021 and not many high picks where he could lean on his college scouts, it seems particularly intriguing, especially short-term where the team will build with free agents and contract extensions.

But Khan seems like a guy the Steelers have groomed as a future GM for awhile now. What's crazier is he has a connection to Bill Cowher should Cowher ever decide to be a NFL head coach again. Might a hiring of Khan be also paired with a courtship with Cowher?

And if not Cowher, recall that before becoming the Ravens DC, Marvin Lewis was Cowher's LB coach in the mid-90s... probably a good recommendation in there.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:51 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Mothership announced they interviewed Omar Khan for GM... very interesting candidate. Has been with Steelers since 2001 and is seen a bit more as a cap guy than traditional scout (though he's been in pro football since graduation from Tulane). Considering the team has some cap obstacles to overcome in 2021 and not many high picks where he could lean on his college scouts, it seems particularly intriguing, especially short-term where the team will build with free agents and contract extensions.

But Khan seems like a guy the Steelers have groomed as a future GM for awhile now. What's crazier is he has a connection to Bill Cowher should Cowher ever decide to be a NFL head coach again. Might a hiring of Khan be also paired with a courtship with Cowher?

And if not Cowher, recall that before becoming the Ravens DC, Marvin Lewis was Cowher's LB coach in the mid-90s... probably a good recommendation in there.
How's he related to the Jags owner ?
Anyway no way the McNair family hires a Muslim dude, not gonna happen.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Don't have the DNA results, but Omar is unrelated to Shad. I do think I read that Omar interviewed recently with the Jaguars.

And I have no idea whether Omar is Muslim. Shad is I think.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:09 PM
All-Pro

Early years​[edit]

His mother is a native of Honduras and his father is from India. He was born and raised in New Orleans, Louisiana. After graduating 1994 from Archbishop Rummel High School in Metairie, he matriculated to Tulane University from which he earned a degree in Sports Management with a minor in Business Administration in 3​1⁄2 years.
As a student, Khan worked with the Tulane football team as an Undergraduate Assistant. Following his time with the Tulane Football program, Khan served as a Scouting/Personnel Intern with the New Orleans Saints. Once he graduated in 1997, he was brought on in a full-time role by the Saints in the Football Operations Department. He worked his way up the ladder in New Orleans by diligently handling anything that was asked of him.

In 2001 he was hired by the Steelers in the Football Operations/Player Personnel Department. In that role he has helped to assemble two Super Bowl winners. Along with General Manager Kevin Colbert, in 20 seasons they have drafted and signed/extended over 30 Pro Bowl Players
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Khan_(administrator)
He's from the area, born and raised in NOLA and only 43.
A lot of good football experience with two different, and both truly premiere NFL organization: the Steelers & the Saints.
Yes indeed this guy is interesting.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:23 PM
All-Pro

Looks like Caserio is the guy.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/tex...d-15848913.php

So most likely Easterby will be staying.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:55 PM
All-Pro

From Casserly to Caserio. The Oilers are nothing if not progressive.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Welp.

John McClain reporting that Caserio will not consider Josh McDaniels as a potential head coach candidate. So I guess that's good that they aren't a package deal.

Caserio may be the right guy for the existing roster management, but the Patriots' draft record over his recent years there is bleak. Of course, would be hard to mess up the Texans 2021 draft without any first and second round picks.

I feel teased by the news the team interviewed Khan, and they apparently ignored all of the candidates suggested by Korn Ferry, their hiring consultants, which is honestly quite funny and very much on brand for this team.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:48 AM
All-Pro

After twice being blocked by the Patriots from interviewing for the Texans’ general manager job in the past three years, Nick Caserio has a deal in place to become the next general manager in Houston, a league source confirmed to the Globe on Tuesday night.

The Patriots have suffered an exodus of coaches and front office talent over the last few years, including Matt Patricia, Brian Flores, Joe Judge, and Monti Ossenfort. Now they are set to lose Caserio, who has been the Patriots’ director of player personnel and Bill Belichick’s right-hand man since 2008.

Caserio, 45, has been a valuable and versatile member of the Patriots’ organization since joining the team as a personnel assistant in 2001. He quickly rose up the ladder to become the top football executive under Belichick in 2008, and he also was an on-field coach in 2002 and 2007.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/01/...ouston-texans/
So FWIW the Boston Globe seems to think Caserios departure is a significant
loss.
I'll have to watch Eisen today and see what that little snot-nosed guy from Boston on his show thinks of the Texans new hire.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:50 AM
All-Pro

The Franchise seems ambivalent:

https://twitter.com/deshaunwatson/st...523839488?s=20
Old 01-06-2021, 12:00 PM
Regular Starter

My friend with the team (who is very seriously considering leaving) told me that the behind-the-scenes situation with the players is untenable right now. He told me "unless something else changes, they've lost the team...every player".
Old 01-06-2021, 03:08 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerack View Post
My friend with the team (who is very seriously considering leaving) told me that the behind-the-scenes situation with the players is untenable right now. He told me "unless something else changes, they've lost the team...every player".
Specifically what is the problem(s) that the players are upset about ?
Old 01-07-2021, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Caserio signed 6 years $30 million. I don't think any Texans player is under contract that long?

Something will change, the team will hire a new head coach, and from that, the rest of the staff will be determined. Easy to understand the player perspective since it resembles the fans, but they're obviously living it; their lives depend upon where they work.

But the players play for the coach, not the GM. So hopefully the new head coach will mend some of those hurt feelings.

Can't think of a worse time though to be a fan of this franchise.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Caserio signed 6 years $30 million. I don't think any Texans player is under contract that long? Easy to understand the player perspective since it resembles the fans, but they're obviously living it; their lives depend upon where they work.

Something will change - - the team will hire a new head coach, and from that, the rest of the staff will be determined.

The players play for the coach, not the GM. So hopefully the new head coach will mend some of those hurt feelings.

Old 01-07-2021, 08:15 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Specifically what is the problem(s) that the players are upset about ?
This is where I enter into "I can't repeat everything territory" per a request from my friend.

I would just say that if you listen to DW4's last media event where he talked about needing a culture change and there are mixed messages as to who is in charge, you can connect the dots.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:19 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Caserio signed 6 years $30 million. I don't think any Texans player is under contract that long? Easy to understand the player perspective since it resembles the fans, but they're obviously living it; their lives depend upon where they work.

Something will change - - the team will hire a new head coach, and from that, the rest of the staff will be determined.

The players play for the coach, not the GM. So hopefully the new head coach will mend some of those hurt feelings.

That is my hope too. Any pissed off feelings will hopefully blow over as long as the right HC is brought in (that is truly a Caserio hire) and Caserio/the new HC set the culture.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:03 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
It's obviously not every player since Cooks came out vocally in support. But it's not surprising if it's some or most of the players. Why wouldn't players on this franchise be upset? What blows my mind is the idea the players are upset now over a GM hire, but nobody said anything when Hopkins was shipped out.