IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
This happens a lot with the Texans. A physical team just seems to totally discombobulate Kubiak. So I say he will never win the big one, and that is all we really care about, right? Is it time for a coaching change?
All I can say is that for you to have a top ranked receiving offense one year, then develop a top ranked rushing offense the next year you should never have games like today.

All the peices are there he just needs to learn to put them in the right spots at the right time...
Old 10-10-2010, 03:36 PM
All-Pro

We have been outcoached again. That was the worse game plan I have seen since the Cowboys game.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Pro Bowler

Something to think about:

DE: J. Babin (remember him?)
DT: J. Jones
DT: T. Brown
DE: W. Hayes
OLB:Winborn
OLB:Tulloch
MLB:Witherspoon

DE:M.Williams (beast)
DE:A. Smith
DT:A. Okoye
DT:S. Cody
OLB:Z. Diles
OLB:Ryans (beast)
MLB:B. Cushing (enough said)

Which team front seven leads the league in sacks?
Which would you expect based on talent?
Old 10-10-2010, 03:56 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
We have been outcoached again. That was the worse game plan I have seen since the Cowboys game.
Odd. Not a month ago you were lecturing us rubes who know nothing about football who had the temerity to object to the end-around. You were sternly telling us that the Texans have a 'well designed offense.'

What do you say to that now?

I was right all along. This is a 6-10 team. They might as well lock out the players next year becaue we're not seeing any professional football anyway.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I was right all along. This is a 6-10 team. They might as well lock out the players next year becaue we're not seeing any professional football anyway.
As much as I hate to admit to this, you could definitely be right. Unless Kubiak learns to adjust, teams will quickly catch on to our elementary offense...

Teams have already began to counter our short passing game. I hope they don't take today's tape as a lesson on how to stop Foster...
Old 10-10-2010, 04:30 PM
All-Pro

Chuck, I say 6-10 is a huge overreaction. It puzzles me how much you seem to revel in a Texans defeat. Since I didn't live in Houston during the oilers days (was reborn a Texans fan from the first day of the franchise here), I will assume it is a coping mechanism that only the luv' ya blue guys can understand.

But either way I reiterate what I said after last season. NFL football teams will take on the personality and tenacity of either the QB or the Head Coach and one of those guys better be a winner and a dominant personality. The head coach can be a brains guy with the Xs and Os if the QB is a follow me guy. Or vice versa. But how do you win big when there is no dominant personality. Football is the most emotional sport around and we have nobody that sets the pace. Either QB or Coach has to move on or we never win a superbowl.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:44 PM
All-Pro

Last week was the first time the teams been 3-1 and people wanted Kubiak to run for Prez, this week they want to fire him. Lets see what happens next week before the bye: we can end up .500 or be 4-2 for the first time with people wanting Kubiak to be Prez again.
But here's what really puzzles me ? How come the Texans are at their worst when they come home to play after a big road win ? Seems all the momentum and psychology and confidance should be with them ?
Old 10-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Last week was the first time the teams been 3-1 and people wanted Kubiak to run for Prez, this week they want to fire him. Lets see what happens next week before the bye: we can end up .500 or be 4-2 for the first time with people wanting Kubiak to be Prez again.
But here's what really puzzles me ? How come the Texans are at their worst when they come home to play after a big road win ? Seems all the momentum and psychology and confidance should be with them ?
Who has been praising Kubiak throughout our brief win streak?

Never me. If anything the buzz around the league has been the emergence of Arian Foster. I don't recall anyone, of importance, praising Houston's dynamic playcalling. Like I have been saying, I think we have the talent, it is just the fact that Kubiak gets outcoached pretty frequently...

Us beating Indy week 1 was not some miraculous chess match between coaches. It was Arian Foster running wild. Same for the Raider game. Talent has us in the position we are in now, not some elite coaching staff...

I am not of the belief that Kubiak cannot get it together. But he has not done it so far.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Regular Starter

I dont like losing but at least they are not conference games or division games. We have a chance to go 4-2 next week against the Chiefs. Besides we havent even played the Jags or Titans so winning the division is not an impossible thing. Even if we split against the Jags and Titans we will still be in a position to win the division. We gotta take care of our non divisional AFC opponents and we will be alright. Also, the problem is not with the offensive scheme. Its execution. The Giants' Dline executed very well today and our Oline didnt. I dont even have to talk about or defense's execution.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:09 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post

But either way I reiterate what I said after last season. NFL football teams will take on the personality and tenacity of either the QB or the Head Coach and one of those guys better be a winner and a dominant personality. The head coach can be a brains guy with the Xs and Os if the QB is a follow me guy. Or vice versa. But how do you win big when there is no dominant personality. Football is the most emotional sport around and we have nobody that sets the pace. Either QB or Coach has to move on or we never win a superbowl.
It's an interesting point I haven't heard before. But is it true?

Is it true of Belichick/Brady?
Was it true of Manning/Dungy?

There are fiery dominant guys who have won big, no doubt. Just not sure I want to accept the premise.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:13 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Odd. Not a month ago you were lecturing us rubes who know nothing about football who had the temerity to object to the end-around. You were sternly telling us that the Texans have a 'well designed offense.'

What do you say to that now?

If you go back and look at my preseason prediction I said 6-10 also. Having a well designed offense is useless with a bad game plan. The Texans have been flat for 3 weeks on offense, and they have had some really bad defensive game plans.

That has nothing to do with the design of the offense.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:17 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonz the Boss View Post
I dont like losing but at least they are not conference games or division games. We have a chance to go 4-2 next week against the Chiefs. Besides we havent even played the Jags or Titans so winning the division is not an impossible thing. Even if we split against the Jags and Titans we will still be in a position to win the division. We gotta take care of our non divisional AFC opponents and we will be alright.
Excellent point. We technically still lead the division and are undefeated in the conference. If we can get AJ/JJ healthy again, I'm not worried about the offense.

The defense, however, has some major issues that need to be addressed. I love Pollard in the secondary but he's the only guy who carries his weight. Right now, Kareem Jackson might as well wear a flashing neon hot pink jersey because the opponents are finding him on every pass play. Kubiak has to decide whether it is better to preserve the season or preserve their top rookie's confidence.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Pro Bowler

Some think it is scheme, others think it is execution. Truth is we will never know. However, look at it this way...If you were the coordinator and your team was just sucking or missing wide open possibilities, wouldn't you be kind of upset? Wouldn't it show?

It is very clear when someone misses an assignment or blows a major opportunity. Kubiak will get in their face. However,Kubiak showed little to no emotion. IMO because there was nothing there. How can you get mad at the Oline when the Dline is jumping to the zone before they can even get outta their stance. Teams are over anticipating our play calling...

Kubiak needs to be creative when teams have figured him out...
Old 10-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Excellent point. We technically still lead the division and are undefeated in the conference. If we can get AJ/JJ healthy again, I'm not worried about the offense.

The defense, however, has some major issues that need to be addressed. I love Pollard in the secondary but he's the only guy who carries his weight. Right now, Kareem Jackson might as well wear a flashing neon hot pink jersey because the opponents are finding him on every pass play. Kubiak has to decide whether it is better to preserve the season or preserve their top rookie's confidence.
I just don't understand KJ. He gets to practice against AJohnson, the best WR in the league...How can the likes of Kenny Britt and Roy Williams make you look like Petey Faggins?
Old 10-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Yeah, I got 'em going 10-6. That means that at least 4 more times this year the Texans will get "outcoached". 4 more times this year Kubiak should be fired. 4 more times this year fans will be wailing, pointing fingers, jumping from the ledge, whining like babies.... I can't wait....

Fact is, Kubiak will probably make it through the year before any action is taken. By then, whether he should stay or go should be obvious to all.

KJ has played 5 NFL games. He's probably going to suck all year. What you look for is improvement. He had his 1st INT today. That's a start.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:37 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
It's an interesting point I haven't heard before. But is it true?

Is it true of Belichick/Brady?
Was it true of Manning/Dungy?

There are fiery dominant guys who have won big, no doubt. Just not sure I want to accept the premise.
I think I misled you. I am not saying you need a yeller or a fiery guy. You need a natural leader that commands a room. A presence that guys follow regardless of the circumstances. Most superbowl teams have that guy at both QB and Head Coach. All 4 of the guys you mentioned are unquestioned leaders of men. Sean Payton and Drew Brees were those guys last year. Brees was such a leader that even when he did the retarded pregame ritual, he was actually taken serious by grown men. Players don't want to disappoint those guys as teammates and coaches. They respect/fear/admire them too much.

I don't get the feeling that guys would run through walls for Kubiak. He is likable, smart, and hard-working. A solid coach. But he doesn't seem to have the untouchable self confidence or borderline ego that great head coaches have.

And Schaub is like the player version of Kubiak. Smart, hard working, talented enough, well prepared. But again, he gets rattled. Not many QBs who can be rattled win superbowls (Eli Manning is the only one I can think of and that was more of a "screw Tiki Barber" thing).

I just think we have some good, professional guys. And we need somebody who guys will follow. (This is also why the most talented team in football fails to get in done every year up in Dallas).
Old 10-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Yeah, I got 'em going 10-6. That means that at least 4 more times this year the Texans will get "outcoached". 4 more times this year Kubiak should be fired. 4 more times this year fans will be wailing, pointing fingers, jumping from the ledge, whining like babies.... I can't wait....
I am beyond the whole "let's fire Kubiak" thing. I want to win. I understand that teams do lose sometimes. This is understandable. But how many great teams get blown out twice in three weeks?

You guys are talking about these lofty predictions. What about this team so far has you so confident?

A great running attack?

Of all the teams in the playoffs last year there was only one team that had a suspect defense. Indy...And they have an excellent pass rush...Something we don't have...

What makes you think we can compete defensively?
Old 10-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
KJ has played 5 NFL games. He's probably going to suck all year. What you look for is improvement. He had his 1st INT today. That's a start.
Oh yeah, this was KJ's 9th NFL game. Allegedly the reason we drafted him was the fact that he was pro-ready coming out of college.

So I understand development, but 4-5 TDs given up and 1 INT that was largely due in part to the pressure in Manning's face is not what I would call acceptable...

I am not saying that he will never get better, I am only suggesting that he has not lived up to the hype thus far...
Old 10-10-2010, 06:43 PM
All-Pro

The funny thing is that KJ hasn't looked as bad as Jacques Reeves but he loses a lot of matchups and the other team is taking their best WR and lining up against him. KJ has had to face two Mannings, McNabb and Romo so it isn't like he has been picked apart by QBs who don't know what they are doing but I think the Texans need to do something to stop the gameplanning, even if it is to bench him for a week just to throw off the other side.

It's like the Astros with Brett Wallace. Opponents figured out they could bust him in on the hands and he wouldn't adjust so soon everyone in the league did the same thing. So he needs to do something different until the scouting report changes, even if that means standing further off the plate until they do something else.

The Texans have to do something else with KJ for awhile so other teams stop making him the focus of their game plans.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texas View Post
Oh yeah, this was KJ's 9th NFL game. Allegedly the reason we drafted him was the fact that he was pro-ready coming out of college.

So I understand development, but 4-5 TDs given up and 1 INT that was largely due in part to the pressure in Manning's face is not what I would call acceptable...

I am not saying that he will never get better, I am only suggesting that he has not lived up to the hype thus far...
KJ has played in 5 regular season games, 4 practice games. On the INT, KJ was in the right spot at the right time - that counts for something. I'd love to pick nits with you over the next couple of hours but I've got better things to do.

I watched Cris Dishman suck for a couple of years before he developed into one of the toughest corners in the league. That's the trouble with the fanbase today - no patience. "We want it now, dammit". You may not like the results but you won't be able to hurry things along. It's like yellin' at the screen in the movie theater - no effect.