IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 10-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Pro Bowler

Well we are now past Miami, and the win makes the rest of the season look a little more promising, but this team seems to take one step forward and 1 & 1/2 back every game. The Dline is starting to play Bullman more at DE, and the Dline is also doing more stunts. Demps and harrison are doing OK at safety, but the CB situation is still pretty bad. If the Draft were now, I would make DE, LB, and CB my main objective.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Regular Starter

This is a list of players that i currently like.

DE Clay Mathews DE USC #47 4th or 5th round

Javon Ringer, Michigan State - 5-9, 205, (RB) 3rd or 4th

Terrence ’Mount’ Cody DT Alabama junior (#62, 6-4, 365), 2nd round

Ryan Stanchek, West Virginia - 6-4, 300, SR (LT) later rounds

Greg Isdaner, West Virginia - 6-4, 322, JR ...(G) Later rounds

George Selvie DE 6-4, 255 South Florida middle first

Michael Johnson DE 6-6, 250 Georgia Tech middle first

Rey Maualaga LB 6-2, 250 USC between pick 10 and 15 first

Alex Mack OC 6-4, 315 California late first

Duke Robinson OG 6-5, 335 Oklahoma top 15 pick

Nic Harris SS 6-2, 230 Oklahoma 2nd round

Pat White QB 6-1, 192 West Virginia later rounds

Marlon Lucky, RB 5-11, 210, Nebraska late round

Vontae Davis, CB 6-0, 200, Illinois top 10 pick

Chase Coffman (TE) Missouri middle first

Keep youre eye on this guy. Donald Brown Running back Connecticut Huskies Height: 5-10 Weight: 208 3rd or 4th round

Xavier Fulton, Illinois
Height: 6-6. Weight: 298.
Projected 40 Time: 4.90.
Projected Round (2009): 2-3.
5/24/08: For a guy coming off a season-ending knee injury, Xavier Fulton played pretty well in 2007. A former defensive lineman, Fulton's athleticism will make him a good fit in a zone-blocking scheme. 3rd round

Outside linebacker Aaron Curry (Wake Forest) late first

Brian Orakpo DE (Texas) This guy is moving up fast. At this pace he will be a top ten pick.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Regular Starter

right now i think i might pull the trigger on robinson or mack in the first, maybe a OLB 2nd, DE 3rd, RB 4th.

complete the o'line, for once.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Pro Bowler

I dunno, I would like to get the permanent solution to that RDE. I would be tempted to use number one for that. However, perceptions change over time, that is if Bullman continues to do well. Other than that I still see CB as a perrenial need.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I dunno, I would like to get the permanent solution to that RDE. I would be tempted to use number one for that. However, perceptions change over time, that is if Bullman continues to do well. Other than that I still see CB as a perrenial need.
i fully understand the want for a DE to complete the d'line, so i'd say either get a big name OG/OC in free agency and draft the DE 1st or get a big name DL guy in free agency and draft the OL 1st. either way gives strength to both lines so i would be fine either. personally i feel like waiting on a drafted DE to develop would suck a little more than waiting on the OL guy (i think our o'line is ahead of the d'line).
Old 10-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Pro Bowler

Of course it depends more on what our Draft position will be, and who is available at that moment in time. I have been on record, going back to the hpf days, of not trading up in the Draft. However, for the first time, I believe if the MLB/OLB I like (James Laurnaitis, or one of the better DE's) is there, say at #10, I think I would trade up. Again depends on the situation when we get there which is still a long way off.

Last edited by NBT; 11-19-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Of corse it depends more on what our Draft position will be, and who is available at that moment in time. I have been on record, going back to the hpf days, of not trading up in the Draft. However, for the first time, I believe if the MLB/OLB I like (James Laurnaitis, or one of the better DE's) is there, say at #10, I think I would trade up. Again depends on the situation when we get there which is still a long way off.
yea, this is basically the worst time of the year for draft speculation. we've seen just enough to know what sucks enough to address but not enough to really speculate with accuracy of the situation that inevitably gets set up around the end of the season.

still fun though.

a linebacker would be huge, especially of the laurnaitis/mauluga calibre. i'm just not sure i would pass a chance to really solidify either line for it...this year anyway.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Pro Bowler

I look at it like this, the offense is playing well. The Oline is doing OK, not great but not a huge need anymore like it used to be. But the defense, with the exception of Mario, Okoye, Demeco, Dunta, with maybe Bullman now the way he is playing, the defense really needs help in this next Draft, hence I would go almost entirely defense, if things work out where we can.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Regular Starter

i gotta say i really believe half of the problem with this defense is scheme, or lackthereof. a real DC, suggs, a 2nd round safety/3rd round OLB probably turns this defense into everything we want it to be. i agree though, defense is getting favored in the next draft.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Pro Bowler

I completely agree with you. Either Richard Smith needs to go, or Kubiak needs to get off his neck and let him run the defense the way it is supposed to be run.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Pro Bowler

As we start into the month of November (where has this year gone?), my opinion is still a big strong quick MLB and a DE, would be my first two picks in the draft, barring something happening in FA in the meantime.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:59 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
As we start into the month of November (where has this year gone?), my opinion is still a big strong quick MLB and a DE, would be my first two picks in the draft, barring something happening in FA in the meantime.
I agree with this right now. While I know we are young and need to mature in front 7, we need to get stronger there for sure.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Regular Starter

After the game today (Minninsota) Im starting to think maybe we should be beefing up the middle of the OL. A Duke Robinson in the 1st and a Alex Mac in the 2nd would solidify our OL for years. We really need ot establish a dominating running game. It would keep our QB's from getting killed and keep our defense fresh.

Right now we are just getting overpowered by teams that are stout up the middle. Briesal and Myers are just not strong enough at the point of attack. It has been proven time and time again that stopping the run and being able to run consistantly is a winning formula. There is no better way!
Old 11-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Regular Starter

There's no way I draft OL over defense considering their comparative performances this season.

Our top 3 needs are DE, DT, and OLB in no particular order. I would also take a S, RB, and QB before an OL.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:30 AM
Regular Starter

qb is really starting to enter my frame of mind when i look at the draft. nothing stupid, but a 4th/5th...maybe a 3rd on a guy we can work on for a year or two until we get this two headed turnover monster out.

post vikings my draft order probably turns out like so:
1. S
2. DE
3. OLB
4. OL
5. QB
6. RB
7. CB
Old 11-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Pro Bowler

I like your positions, however I would reverse the order of the top 3 as follows: MLB (to stop rb's like AP), RDE to bolster the passrush, and S/CB to help with our pitiful secondary. While these are my priorities, I am really dissatisfied with a coaching staff who spends all week preparing for AD, then gives up 3 TDs passing to a predominantly run oriented team, and in the 4th quarter gives up 81 yds rushing to AD, giving him 139 for the afternoon. A complete team failure in my estimation.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Regular Starter

you know, honestly, i think we have our SS and ballhawk FS on the roster already. SS-adibi, FS- d-rob. bennett and molden on the corners, reeves the nickel. that would open it up wide for (1st) laurinitis in the middle, diles and ryans outside, mario/amobi/tj/okam/free agent/mid round pick on the line. i see that as a defense, while still having ample room for improvement, with no glaring holes. but who am i to question this defensive staff?

with that i would go
obviously 1 MLB
2 OL
3 DE/DT
4-7 any position involving the word "back"
Old 11-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Pro Bowler

Adibi is a puzzle to me. Seems he can't get on the field. I hadn't thought of him at SS, but you know you may have hit it right on the head there. I don't know about Dunta at FS, I'll have to do some more thinking on that. And it depends on how well Bennet and Molden pan out at the corners. I do like your out of the box thinking though KJ.

Harrison may grow on ya, the more he has a chance to get the feel of the way Kubiak likes his safeties to play. And we haven't even seen Barber play yet. Demps and Ferguson are kinda like fill-ins till we really have our secondary set.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Adibi is a puzzle to me. Seems he can't get on the field.
I think he's had some injuries that are holding him back. I think he was sick for a few weeks too.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Pro Bowler

I kinda made myself a promise to check on this thread, and the tone of it, as the season progressed. Well, we blew it big time against Baltimore at home. We were outcoached and outplayed embarrasingly in front of the home folks..........then on to Indy, where we had our best chance ever to beat them in their own stadium. Same old dreary result. It was close but no cigar. Now we are on the road to Cleveland. My bet is it will be yet another could have won, loss!

10 games down the commode and the only rookie who is playing well is our 3rd round gift, RB Slaton. Our 1st rnd pick OLT is suffering from second half tiredness, and is giving up way too many sacks. Adibi finally played at WOLB but got hurt. Looked good though. What the heck is wrong with our game planning and game management?