IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2015, 11:07 AM
All-Pro

Default Rob Rang Big Board (Texans at 16) 1-8-15

This isn't a mock draft, this is just a big board for a generic team looking to add in the draft. I'm doing this so you can get an idea of what options the Texans may have at the 16th pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/s...stock-in-bowls

To be fair, we need to start at #18 because two players listed may get dropped significantly because of off-field issues: QB Jamais Winston of Florida St. and WR Dorial Green-Beckham of Oklahoma via Missouri. Both, IMO, are far too risky to use a first-rounder on.

So, looking at picks 18-22, here's what our options may look like:

Quote:
18. Pittsburgh OT T.J. Clemmings, 6-5, 305, rSr, 5.05: The Panthers boast two of the more exciting young players in college football in James Conner and Tyler Boyd, but Clemmings is a potential first-round talent in his own right. He's made steady progress at right tackle since making the jump from defensive end two years ago and boasts an exciting combination of length, agility and tenacity.

19. Washington OLB Shaq Thompson, 6-2, 231, Jr, 4.56: Boasting terrific athleticism, instincts and awareness, Thompson has proven a standout wherever he's played for the Huskies, earning him the Paul Hornung Award as the nation's most versatile player. While perhaps not as stout as preferred, Thompson's fluidity, reliable open-field tackling and big play moxie could earn him a hybrid linebacker/safety role.

20. Louisville WR DeVante Parker, 6-3, 209, Sr, 4.45: A broken left foot sidelined Parker for the first seven games of the 2014 season but he returned with a vengeance, averaging seven receptions for 140 yards and a score in his six games, including a Belk Bowl loss to Georgia. Parker can win with his height and ability to high-point passes. He also has impressive fluidity and acceleration for a receiver of his size.

21. Texas A&M OT Cedric Ogbuehi, 6-5, 300, rSr, 4.98: Former Aggies Luke Joeckel (2013) and Jake Matthews (2014) were the second and sixth overall picks in successive drafts, and Ogbuehi has more raw talent than either. He's remarkably light on his feet for a man his size and possesses the balance and long arms to catch up to pass-rushers even when beaten off the snap. Ogbuehi struggled with the transition from right to left tackle this season, however, and was moved back. That's certainly a red flag but Ogbuehi's upside is undeniable.

22. Florida State DT Eddie Goldman, 6-3, 314, Jr, 5.28: Teams are willing to gamble on difference-makers along the defensive line almost as much as quarterbacks, and no defensive tackle has captured the imagination of scouts more than Goldman. He's broad, powerful and surprisingly athletic, having stood at defensive end in 2013 before making the switch back inside this past season. Goldman was carted off the field with an ankle injury during the ACC Championship and didn't play up to his normal standards in the Rose Bowl loss to Oregon.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:02 AM
All-Pro

If it were me I'd draft Famous Jamais in a heartbeat given the chance, but I doubt Mcnair would, so what I would or wouln't do means nothing. Now what would O'Brien do and just how much influenece does he havewith the Texans owner ?
Old 01-12-2015, 05:00 PM
Administrator

There are guys in the top 16 or so that will drop, too. Quite a few Washington players on this list, too.

Using Rang's list, guys who I think might be there who could fit what the Texans are looking for include:

DT Danny Shelton, Wash
CB Trae Waynes, Mich St
OLB Shaq Thompson, Wash
OT Cedric Ogbuehi, Tx A&M
CB P.J. Williams, Fl St

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Texans trade down and take the top ILB or TE on the board in this draft. CJF, even if he pans out, needs a buddy there. Maxx Williams (Minn), anyone? If they pass on a TE early, there is a big one from Penn State (Jesse James) that wouldn't be a surprise to me if he ends up in Houston.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:29 PM
All-Pro

Updated on 1-23 after Senior Bowl, started a few above 16 as this will stay fluid till draft happens.

I personally right now leening towards defense and dbacks in first two rounds.

12. Landon Collins, SS, 6-0, 215, Jr., Alabama: Instinctive, athletic and an explosive hitter, Collins looks the part of a top-10 pick. His downhill playing style might be best suited to strong safety
13. Danny Shelton, DT, 6-2, 323, Sr., Washington: Broad-shouldered, powerful and surprisingly passionate in pursuit, Shelton is a classic two-gap run defender
14. La'el Collins, OT, 6-5, 315, Sr., LSU: Collins doesn't get the national attention of other tackles in this class, but the big man is surprisingly agile
15. Kevin White, WR, 6-3, 209, Sr., West Virginia: No player improved his draft stock more in 2014 than White. It wasn't just his production (110 catches, 1,447 yards, 10 touchdowns)
16. Trae Waynes, CB, 6-1, 183, rJr., Michigan State: Waynes has the length, fluidity and ball skills required of cornerbacks in today's pass-happy NFL and is more stout against the run than his frame implies.
17. Shaq Thompson, OLB, 6-2, 231, Jr., Washington: Boasting terrific athleticism, instincts and awareness,
Old 02-06-2015, 01:24 PM
Undrafted Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
Updated on 1-23 after Senior Bowl, started a few above 16 as this will stay fluid till draft happens.

I personally right now leening towards defense and dbacks in first two rounds.

12. Landon Collins, SS, 6-0, 215, Jr., Alabama: Instinctive, athletic and an explosive hitter, Collins looks the part of a top-10 pick. His downhill playing style might be best suited to strong safety
13. Danny Shelton, DT, 6-2, 323, Sr., Washington: Broad-shouldered, powerful and surprisingly passionate in pursuit, Shelton is a classic two-gap run defender
14. La'el Collins, OT, 6-5, 315, Sr., LSU: Collins doesn't get the national attention of other tackles in this class, but the big man is surprisingly agile
15. Kevin White, WR, 6-3, 209, Sr., West Virginia: No player improved his draft stock more in 2014 than White. It wasn't just his production (110 catches, 1,447 yards, 10 touchdowns)
16. Trae Waynes, CB, 6-1, 183, rJr., Michigan State: Waynes has the length, fluidity and ball skills required of cornerbacks in today's pass-happy NFL and is more stout against the run than his frame implies.
17. Shaq Thompson, OLB, 6-2, 231, Jr., Washington: Boasting terrific athleticism, instincts and awareness,
My early guess would be Waynes, we really need a CB and he's the best of what's likely to be available at 16.