Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 09-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Veteran Depth

1 William Gholston DE MSU
2 Desmond Trufant CB Washington
3 DT Jamarkus McFarland Okla
Mario Compensation Pick ILB Shayne Skov Stanford
4 DT Dave Kruger Utah

Basically following Paine's idea on picking positions more than players.

I think this draft the Texans may try to trade up in first round. There seem to be three potential 1st round NTs. Getting an impact 3-4 defensive end would be a nice consolation prize if the Texans can't get a NT.

One player at a position outside of need that intrigues me is QB Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech. I want to see another game or two with him. Looks to have a big time arm, good feet, great height, good play action, but he seemed very raw and seemed like release point may be a little low. If he drops low enough in draft, I could see the Texans pulling a Green Bay and drafting Schaub's successor.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:39 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Joe View Post
1 William Gholston DE MSU
2 Desmond Trufant CB Washington
3 DT Jamarkus McFarland Okla
Mario Compensation Pick ILB Shayne Skov Stanford
4 DT Dave Kruger Utah

Basically following Paine's idea on picking positions more than players.

I think this draft the Texans may try to trade up in first round. There seem to be three potential 1st round NTs. Getting an impact 3-4 defensive end would be a nice consolation prize if the Texans can't get a NT.

One player at a position outside of need that intrigues me is QB Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech. I want to see another game or two with him. Looks to have a big time arm, good feet, great height, good play action, but he seemed very raw and seemed like release point may be a little low. If he drops low enough in draft, I could see the Texans pulling a Green Bay and drafting Schaub's successor.
We just extended Jamison so I doubt we go 1st round DE. NT seems a priority. CB, WR, TE, ILB, will depend on performance of guys already on our roster and may or may not be needs. RB and OLB could become needs based on what we do with the guys at those positions. OL is still potentially a future/immediate need at 3 positions.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
We just extended Jamison so I doubt we go 1st round DE. NT seems a priority. CB, WR, TE, ILB, will depend on performance of guys already on our roster and may or may not be needs. RB and OLB could become needs based on what we do with the guys at those positions. OL is still potentially a future/immediate need at 3 positions.
I think Antonio Smith is a goner after seeing Schaub's contract. Gholston would give Jamison competition for start spot, but at worst provide solid depth with Crick.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:04 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post

It's more about the positions than the players at this point.
It almost has to be that way. Texans are at a point where they can truly pick BPA and not worry about position but there are a few spots that may become weak points as the season rolls along.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:43 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I think Antonio Smith is a goner after seeing Schaub's contract. Gholston would give Jamison competition for start spot, but at worst provide solid depth with Crick.
I think Smith is probably gone too. I still think that the extension makes a round 1 DE a real longshot, especially when we already have one at the other DE spot and a mid round rookie they seem to like as depth already.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:57 PM
All-Pro

I was reading today something that Rick Smith said, and it changed my thinking about the draft. They have extended Brown, Schaub and Jamison, and they had talked to Barwin. At this time according to Smith, Barwin is apart of the core guys they want to go forward with. Smith said if they can not sign him before FA then they could franchise him. At the OLB position that is "only" $9MM. So I am thinking right now that OLB is not the 1st pick.

Also if you guys are correct about them letting Smith go after the season, then Jamison is the current top rotational guy. With Crick added as the rotational guy.

I am thinking that the middle of the defense is the top need, that could be NT, ILB or S. I also think that Brooks and Jones will be the most likely starters at the guards next season.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:58 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I agree, I want to see Thomas also, but I was not that impressed with his first game this season.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 PM
All-Pro

Default Draftsite.com 09.11.12

30 Sean Porter OLB Texas A&M 6' 2" 230
60 Jonathan Cooper OC UNC 6' 3" 295
92 Jamarkus McFarland DT Oklahoma 6' 2" 296
124 Carson York OT Oregon 6' 5" 286

Porter's size does not fit our OLBs. They need to be larger in order to set the edge. Now if Porter can carry some more weight and play inside he might be a fit. Again I do not see the Texans going with another OC, I think Meyers and Jones have us set.

The last two picks might work.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:06 AM
All-Pro

There's one site that lets you set the draft priorities but, unfortunately, they don't seem to update their ratings so you still don't wind up with a good mock draft.

The problem with many mock drafts is that they are done by people with only a cursory knowledge of each team so they don't really know (unless its obvious) what positions a team is most interested in.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:03 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
There's one site that lets you set the draft priorities but, unfortunately, they don't seem to update their ratings so you still don't wind up with a good mock draft.

The problem with many mock drafts is that they are done by people with only a cursory knowledge of each team so they don't really know (unless its obvious) what positions a team is most interested in.
are you talking about DraftTek.com?

They only have 100 players ranked right now, they say that will be increased soon.

I have never been able to figure out how to set the priorities, so I just look at the one they run.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Pro Bowler

If I had to pick a position of need right now for the Texans to use a #1 pick on, I'd hope they'd find a fast, aggressive, mean as hell ILB. OL would be my #2 and #3.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 AM
All-Pro

As of right now, my draft priorities would be:

1. DT - If a good one is there, that will be hard to pass up.
2. ILB - Perhaps a greater need but really good ones should still be there in the second round, unlike d-linemen. Remember, that's where we found Demeco.
3. RG, RT - This is a need that slides up or down based on how well the current solutions perform. Not sold on them yet.
4. DB - It's been better since JJo arrived and we found a pass rush but I'd still like to see some better talent.
5. WR - This is another one where current solutions may drive this need up or down the chart.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 AM
All-Pro

Quote:

2. ILB - Perhaps a greater need but really good ones should still be there in the second round, unlike d-linemen. Remember, that's where we found Demeco.
3. RG, RT - This is a need that slides up or down based on how well the current solutions perform. Not sold on them yet.
4. DB - It's been better since JJo arrived and we found a pass rush but I'd still like to see some better talent.
5. WR - This is another one where current solutions may drive this need up or down the chart.
The statement highlighted in red could be said about the ILB, RG, RT, DB, and WR.

At ILB we have Mister Alexander, in his first year of real action. He might be a carrier backup/ST type, or a diamond in the rough. And I agree that this is a high priority position. The best ILB in the draft is Manti Te'o, who is looking to be a top 10 pick, the next guys on the list are looking to be mid to late 2nds. So there is no ILB worth a late 1st IMO. That is why we have to look else where in the 1st.

Jones, Brooks, and Newton are all in there 1st or 2nd year, so they will only get better with more reps.

The DBs have Roc and Harris who have shown flashes in their 2nd camp. They both look to have great upside. Safety could be an option.

WR, 3 targets to guys with 2 or less years in the NFL is not a big enough sample to determine their progress. (As you pointed out). I hope Mercilus does not make us regret passing on Stephen Hill.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:09 AM
All-Pro

I feel good, generally, about the defense since Wade Phillips took over. He's a lousy HC but a great DC. Bradie James knows the system and I think he's a good band-aid. We seem to find some other guys in the middle who are competent though not flashy. As long as we aren't hit hard by injuries, the defense should be fine. The offense is a harder question because you wonder just how much we would suffer if Schaub or Johnson missed significant time. We got some answers to this last year but I hate to see that again this year.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:

I would definitely agree with a DT in the top slot, especially since I'm seeing the Ninja as a cap casulaty next year.
I might move DB up a bit, rds. 2 or 3, as if Quinn has a good year, he could get something in the D Manning contract ranges. Don't think we have ever drafted a legitimate S.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:15 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
30 Sean Porter OLB Texas A&M 6' 2" 230
60 Jonathan Cooper OC UNC 6' 3" 295
92 Jamarkus McFarland DT Oklahoma 6' 2" 296
124 Carson York OT Oregon 6' 5" 286
So taking into account some of the suggestions above how about this cherry pick:

30 Jesse Williams DT Alabama 6' 4" 320 can play the 5 tech or the NT
60 Chase Thomas ILB Stanford 6' 4" 240 smart, big inside guy
92 Sonny Vaccaro S Texas 6' 1" 215

then we will have a comp pick and so on.

I would be OK with trading down out of the 1st round to get extra picks.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
So taking into account some of the suggestions above how about this cherry pick:

30 Jesse Williams DT Alabama 6' 4" 320 can play the 5 tech or the NT
60 Chase Thomas ILB Stanford 6' 4" 240 smart, big inside guy
92 Sonny Vaccaro S Texas 6' 1" 215

then we will have a comp pick and so on.

I would be OK with trading down out of the 1st round to get extra picks.
This makes entirely too much sense for it to ever actually happen
Old 09-19-2012, 08:10 PM
All-Pro

Default Draftsite.com 09.18.12

31 Kawann Short DT Purdue 6' 3" 305
61 Chase Thomas ILB Stanford 6' 4" 240
93 Erik Highsmith WR UNC 6' 3" 175
125 Matt Scott QB Arizona 6' 3" 195

I could see the first three picks but not the 4th one. They just extended Schaub, and they have Yates and Keenum tied up for a few years also. Plus no one is going to touch Beck.

This will be a year in which I truly see the Texans going with a BPA approach. IMO the team needs: NG & ILB, all the other needs have yet to truly be worked out. The WR, OL, DBs are all works in progress. So it's hard to decide what we need.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:57 AM
All-Pro

Didn't Arizona have Nick Foles last year? The Arizona QB will probably not be very polished when he comes out.

And how does a guy that's 6-3 get the name "short"?
Old 09-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
I agree, I want to see Thomas also, but I was not that impressed with his first game this season.
Watching him a little today. He doesn't seem to lead the receivers well. I love his mobility in the pocket,but I just don't know if he places ball well enough to be successful in the NFL.