IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 04-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
Herring did his presser, Montgomery will be a 3rd OLB next season.
Seems big for OLB, but he does show the closing speed of one in his highlights.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 PM
All-Pro

My Guys:
WRs - Da'Rick Rogers, Ryan Swope, Quinton Patton, Aaron Mellette, Tavarres King, Conner Vernon, Cobi Hamilton
OLBs - Cornelius Washington, Ty Powell, Mike Catapano
ILBs - AJ Klein & Kevin Reddick
OL - David Bakhtiari, David Quessenberry, Brian Schwenke, Vinston Painter
NT - Montori Hughes & Josh Boyd
DE - Devin Taylor
CB - Jordan Poyer, BW Webb, Brandon McGee, Steve Williams
FS- Philip Thomas & Bacarri Rambo
Old 04-26-2013, 10:09 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
According to Mayock he turned a lot of teams off in interviews.
Sounds like a personality conflict. When hiring somebody, you consider if you think he will 'fit' into your unit's chemistry or if he'll be a 'bad apple' - Mayock was being politically correct and staying away from the race card.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:12 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
Seems big for OLB, but he does show the closing speed of one in his highlights.
Mario Williams seemed big for an OLB, but we tried it. Not guessing he drops too often in coverage.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Pro Bowler

Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein)
4/26/13, 9:54 PM
Source told me "there is no way that the Texans have all the info on Sam Montgomery.... even WE took him off the board." Yikes.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Source told me "there is no way that the Texans have all the info on Sam Montgomery.... even WE took him off the board." Yikes.
Given their history of choir boys, I find this very hard to believe. Plus, its the 3rd round, and IMO, a good spot to roll the dice.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:59 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
If he's bad enough to scare off the Raiders, yes, that is something. But I want more information on what his problem is. I've heard everything that's been mentioned in the thread but it doesn't really mean anything. He doesn't care about football? He has discipline problems? He beat up his mother? He has a fake girlfriend, too? I mean, what?
Old 04-26-2013, 11:00 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
Given their history of choir boys, I find this very hard to believe. Plus, its the 3rd round, and IMO, a good spot to roll the dice.
And, yes, I doubt very seriously that the Texans were the only team that was unaware of whatever these issues are.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:06 PM
All-Pro

"Montgomery at one time was projected a first-round pick but his stock sank after the combine. The perception is that comments he made there about not always playing hard and making cash bets with his teammate and fellow end Barkevious Mingo hurt his position."

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/20..._by_houst.html

That doesn't strike me as all that incendiary.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:12 PM
Regular Starter

It's nothing criminal. He admitted to taking plays and games off, and apparently was very nonchalant about it to the point that teams questioned how much effort he'll give once be has a big signing bonus in his pocket. He's also talked about making cash bets with teammates over stats, etc. which probably isn't all that rare but a touchy subject in light of the Saints bounty controversy.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2013...sive_end_.html
Old 04-26-2013, 11:20 PM
All-Pro

I guess Montgomery is a first round talent with a seventh-round brain. Behold, our new Jacoby.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:22 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
"Montgomery at one time was projected a first-round pick but his stock sank after the combine. The perception is that comments he made there about not always playing hard and making cash bets with his teammate and fellow end Barkevious Mingo hurt his position."

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/20..._by_houst.html

That doesn't strike me as all that incendiary.
As best I can tell, Montgomery is being crucified for being blunt/honest about his games against Who Gives A Crap State. I'm guessing they are questioning his work ethic/heart. Its a job now, and unless he can split atoms, his motivation comes in the form of game checks.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:10 AM
All-Pro

Seems Sam is a good kid who always plays hard, so good for Texans. 6'5", 260 lbs, not big for a Texans OLB.

Here is an analysis and interview which is very positive and answers questions from the combine aluded to.
http://fansided.com/2013/04/13/nfl-d...ery-interview/

Josh Sanchez: How has this entire draft experience been for you?
Sam Montgomery: The draft season has been pretty incredible. I’ve learned so many things about football, so many things about how the organizations work, and it’s just been a learning experience and I’m just soaking it all in like a sponge.
Sanchez: If you had to describe yourself as a player, what would you say are the strengths of your game?
Montgomery: The strengths of my game would have to be passion, intensity and being relentless.
Sanchez: Do you feel that your experience in the SEC has helped to better prepare you for the NFL?
Montgomery: I think my experience in the NCAA, playing all of the diverse teams in conference and out of conference, has helped prepare me for the NFL.
Sanchez: What kind of influence did coach Les Miles have on you as a player and a person?
Montgomery: Coach Miles helped me grow as a player coming from out of city. He helped me grow mentally, as well as physically. That’s one of the things that LSU teaches you how to do. They teach you how to grow from two different perspectives.
Sanchez: How was your close relationship with Barkevious Mingo and did that translate to you two pushing each other to do better on the field?
Montgomery: Definitely. Everyone knows you have to go out there and do a job, but the closer you are, the closer of a family you are I think that makes you play a lot harder. LSU is all about family — the coaching staff, fan support and players. That’s what I had at LSU, a good family.
Sanchez: Who was the toughest offensive tackle that you faced during your time in college?
Montgomery: I’d have to say Chris Faulk and the offensive tackle from West Virginia that I went up against in 2011.

Sanchez: How was the entire experience for you at the scouting combine?
Montgomery: It was really good to get around the NFL and NFL coaching staffs, trainers and GMs, as well as doctors. It was nice to get a sense of what it’s going to be like at the next level. You know, it was really great to meet all of other players from other schools and see that they are really humble guys and that everyone is ready to work hard.

Sanchez: During the interviews at the combine, you made those controversial comments. How did teams respond and have they been asking you about them?

Montgomery: A lot of teams will ask me about the comments, but once I told them a simple answer and they saw the film, they completely understand where I was coming from and what I was trying to say. It was just misconstrued.
There’s just an energy that you get from playing different games. The crowd is more hyped for the SEC in conference games, so there is a different energy.

Sanchez: What would you say to people who still have questions about your work ethic or motor?
Montgomery: I know that everyone in the entire stadium knows that I play hard every game. There hasn’t been a game where I haven’t played hard and left it all out on the field.

Sanchez: Who are some of the teams that you have met with so far?
Montgomery: Some of the teams that I’ve met with are the Bengals and Chargers. I’ve also met with the New York Giants, talked to them a little bit, and the Vikings. A lot of teams are interested, but, you know, these last final months I really want to let people know what kind of person I am.
Sanchez: How would you describe yourself as a player off the field?
Montgomery: I’m just a humble guy who is looking to make his mark. I’m waiting for the opportunity.
Sanchez: Can you tell us a little about how you got your nickname, “Sonic”?
Montgomery: Yeah, Sonic the Hedgehog. It was actually a game that me and my brother used to play. When my brother got shot and killed, I just took over the name “Sonic” to keep his memory going. I wanted to let him know that I never forgot about him, so I carry around the one memory that we cherish together.
Sanchez: How will you be spending draft day?
Montgomery: I think I am going to spend draft day in Greenwood, South Carolina and bring it home to the place that helped build me as a person. I think it’d be right to give back to the community because they helped to create me and send me out in to the world.
Sanchez: When you are with all of those people who have supported you the entire way, how do you think it will feel to finally get that call from an NFL team and realize everything you have worked so hard for is finally a reality?
Montgomery: I feel like regardless of what happens, I can rejoice with my family and the people who raised me. I know that they will be happy with whatever happens and, mentally, I can never lose.
Sanchez: Do you have any goals for your rookie season?
Montgomery: Yes, I want to make the Pro Bowl my first year. Shoot for the stars, so even if you miss you land in the clouds.
Sanchez: Do you have any words for the fans that you may end up playing in front of some day?
Montgomery: Only one thing: When I step out on to the field, I just want to earn my respect. I want to earn everything that I am given. I have no problem with working hard and showing people that I belong there. So just accept me with open hands and give me a clap when I get drafted.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Clemson, South Carolina, North Carolina, and a LSU (also from South Carolina)... apparently the Texans college scouts only visit the southeast. Pour some out for Dale Strahm.

Hopkins, Swearinger, and Montgomery seem like smart, talented players... good picks for where the Texans took them, but they are straight-up need position players. On one hand, tough to complain since each of these three (as well as Williams maybe) are going to have an opportunity to contribute early. On the other though... can't help but wonder if the Texans push up need positions over just taking the most talented guy on the board.

And maybe it'll be a happy coincidence that these guys were the BPA... I wonder that in particular about Hopkins and Montgomery, but I want the team to pick a player that is going to be someone we want to re-sign long-term four years from now. Hopefully we still need these four kids as badly then too.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:10 AM
Pro Bowler

I hope Montgomery works out. He's definitely a talent and probably worth the risk there. However, when a guy on the same team who failed 10+ drug tests is less of a risk than a guy who's somewhat lazy and gives a bad interviews, there's a probably more to it than what we're hearing. Hopefully whatever it is he straightens up and we end up with one of the steals of the draft.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:32 AM
Pro Bowler

Quick thoughts on some other teams...

I hate the jags, but if they come away with Franklin or Ellington to open the 4th or 5th and a decent WR prospect, it will be shaping up as a pretty good draft for them.

Rams have added playmakers, but they're going really small with Austin/Bailey/Givins/Pead/Richardson. I guess speed kills, but I'm not sure I'd totally go that route in that division. Takes me back to the old Run-n-shoot Oilers days were they'd get crushed by physical D's.

SF is going to be good for a long time.

GB is moving all over the place but still has done a good job plugging in some glaring holes with only a couple picks so far. They have 10 picks today from all their moves!

Surprised at how the RB draft is shaking out. The order of who is going when and where seems odd. At least it is to me looking at it from a fantasy football perspective.

Last edited by popanot; 04-27-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:19 AM
All-Pro

This was a draft that had few dead-lock cinch guys but was deep in "3/4" guys - guys who are 3/4ths of an NFL stud but you just don't know about the other 1/4th. We got four guys who are generally thought of as solid but perhaps lack some speed or lack some size or lack some maturity, etc. How well the Texans can coach up the 1/4th will determine whether these were great picks or not.

Since I am among those throwing out the ACC card, it should be noted that, in the Rick Smith years (Okoye and forward), the #1 picks have been more evenly distributed:

Okoye - Big East
D. Brown - ACC
Cushing - Pac 12
Jackson - SEC
Watt - Big 10
Mercilus - Big 10
Hopkins - ACC
Old 04-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Pro Bowler

Per Rob Rang:

27. Houston Texans: I really like what the Texans did on Day Two. Safety D.J. Swearinger is a versatile, highly physical safety who'll add to the toughness of the Houston secondary. In a similar way, Sam Montgomery could surprise (if he remains focused on football) as an edge rusher. People tend to gloss over the fact that he was a much more consistent and productive defender at LSU than Barkevious Mingo, who the Browns took at No. 6 overall. Finally, offensive tackle Brennan Williams earned first round grades from a number of scouts and only last until the third because of the fact that he is coming off a torn labrum. Massive and highly athletic, he's a perfect fit at right tackle. Grade: A