IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Not Quite ...In the Bullseye > The Other Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Drafted Rookie

Default Rockets 2009 Playoffs

You'll have to excuse me for being a negative nancy, but I foresee yet another early exit for the Rockets. They've been horrible on the road all year and I don't know if they have the talent or fire-in-the-belly to come back from being down 0-2. If they win one of the first two games, all bets are off and they have a good chance of actually winning the series, but otherwise I'm not so confident.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Regular Starter

With our recent history you almost have to take a "I'll believe it when I see it approach". They were a .500 club on the road. Other than L.A. and San Antonio that's as good as the rest of the playoff teams. Portland is a better match up for us than some other team might be...say, Utah. Pryzbilla and Oden aren't going to give Yao many problems. Scola and Landry have done a good job on Aldridge. Battier and Artest can team up and make Brandon Roy's life difficult even if they don't shut him down.

I would prefer home court advantage, but I do like the match-up against Portland.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:49 AM
All-Pro

I think it will be 7 games, we win the series, and then we get to face the Lakers. I don't know, this team hasn't established consistency of play, but does seem overall better and on the road the past month or so.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:14 PM
All-Pro

On the one hand, it would be funny as hell after all the years of "Tracy McGrady can't get past the first round" banter to see the Rockets reach the second round with McGrady laid up. But the choke against the Mavs says all you need to know. The Rockets will take it to seven but lose a close Game Seven with the refs giving the Blazers some questionable calls. Book it.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Regular Starter

Rockets in 6.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Drafted Rookie

Wow. They were nothing short of impressive in game 1. 59% shooting! Great road win for the Rockets. Hopefully they'll keep playing like this.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Administrator

I love watching Von Wafer play basketball. Verrrrrry entertaining player offensively.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Regular Starter

the NBA is officially the worst officiated game in the history of the universe. That goes both ways too...every game I watch there are just so many terrible calls on both ends. It's the reason I hardly watch any NBA outside of the Rockets...even then I only watch bits and pieces until the end of the season/playoffs because it's just so frustrating to watch.

There were plenty of terrible calls that went against the blazers tonight too, so I'm not just being a homer.

Joey Crawford might be the worst of them all.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I love watching Von Wafer play basketball. Verrrrrry entertaining player offensively.
I love watching him too...I hope the Rockets can hold on to him.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
Joey Crawford might be the worst of them all.
MIGHT be? I've never in my life seen anyone take more joy in controlling a game. it's all about Joey. This is well-known by anyone who has ever watched game that he's officiated. I'll never forget about 3 years ago, I was watching a game with my girlfriend at the time (who was not a sports fan by any stretch of the imagination. "watching the game" meant "cuddle time"), and after 3 or 4 tempo-changing ticky-tack foul calls by Joey, she actually said, "why does that ref keep doing that? That guy didn't touch him. Does he just like to be on TV?" I said, "exactly, honey. Exactly." Even she understood, and this is a girl that thought that football games had innings. no lie.

As much as I hated to see last night's game slip away, i've still gotta say "mission accomplished." We took back home court, and decisively. even with Roy and Aldridge going off, we still were able to cut the lead to 2 with under 2 seconds left in a hostile environment. I think if we can come out aggressively in game 3 and pound them relentlessly, we win the series going away. Portland doesn't have an answer for Yao, so even if they do front him and take him away on the low post, just put scola at the top of the key and swing it around to him if the entry pass isn't there. he can knock down the J until they start closing out on him, and then Yao is free to repost. easy.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowlbound View Post

As much as I hated to see last night's game slip away, i've still gotta say "mission accomplished." We took back home court, and decisively. even with Roy and Aldridge going off, we still were able to cut the lead to 2 with under 2 seconds left in a hostile environment. I think if we can come out aggressively in game 3 and pound them relentlessly, we win the series going away. Portland doesn't have an answer for Yao, so even if they do front him and take him away on the low post, just put scola at the top of the key and swing it around to him if the entry pass isn't there. he can knock down the J until they start closing out on him, and then Yao is free to repost. easy.
We won a game on the road. Now we just have to make sure they don't steal one in our place. I'm happy with where we"re at.

You're right about Scola, but they just need to keep the ball moving and not be so predictable in how they try and set up Yao. I actually think they should get Yao the ball in the high post some. He's not going to drive from that position much, but he can knock down the jumper. He's also a good enough passer that he should be able to get the ball to the cutters in a good position. From the high post he should be able to pass out and then quickly set up on the low block before they front him...as long as the guards can dump the ball back in quickly. they need to change up how Yao goes about setting up in the post so it's not so easy for defensese to set up. As much as anything that will also just let Yao get the ball in his hands, and keep him from getting so frustrated.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Veteran Depth

I was going to write about how lamarcus aldridge's quick feet and athleticism could get him around yao in time to front, but the second he drops down, you've got the lob for an easy layup set up right there, so I like it! get adelman on the phone.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowlbound View Post
I was going to write about how lamarcus aldridge's quick feet and athleticism could get him around yao in time to front, but the second he drops down, you've got the lob for an easy layup set up right there, so I like it! get adelman on the phone.

They just need to change up how they set up Yao in the post. It's the same one or two sets every time. Just do something different every now and then to keep the D from getting into a rhythm.

I've got tickets for tonight....and the clock is moving way to slow.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:16 PM
All-Pro

Ready to eat my crow. Did anyone see the post-game presser with Yao and Artest after Game 6? They're a regular comedy act.

The highlight was when a reporter asked Artest about taking a dive into the crowd after a loose ball and he said "Well, I've gone into the stands before..."

and after the laughter died down he said "one guy even offered me a beer. Yeah, he wasn't trying to throw it at me."

Back in the 80s, if you wanted to go anywhere important in the Western Conference, you had to beat the Lakers so I'm not intimidated by playing the Lakers but I think the loss of Motumbo makes them thin along the front line and they can't afford to get Yao in foul trouble.

Finally, LOL at McGrady. The Rockets advance when he's not in the lineup. I guess he was the problem the whole time.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:50 PM
All-Pro

It's great to see the Rockets get a little more success finally. Nice to see Yao and Arteste get some success and then be able to enjoy it and relax. Having Scola and Battier helps a lot. VonWafer becoming the crowd favorite. Two point guards getting more muture each game. Good depth coming in off the bench. Pretty good coaching as well. Fairly good basketball to watch. So, if we can get the LA series to 7, who knows what can happen.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Drafted Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
It's great to see the Rockets get a little more success finally. Nice to see Yao and Arteste get some success and then be able to enjoy it and relax. Having Scola and Battier helps a lot. VonWafer becoming the crowd favorite. Two point guards getting more muture each game. Good depth coming in off the bench. Pretty good coaching as well. Fairly good basketball to watch. So, if we can get the LA series to 7, who knows what can happen.
I think the rockets best hope for winning this series is to try to win it in 6 again... if they can win just one of those first three games in LA then we'll have a good chance of pulling it off. Its possible that theyll win it in 7, but I see 6 to be more likely to happen.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudwasher View Post
I think the rockets best hope for winning this series is to try to win it in 6 again... if they can win just one of those first three games in LA then we'll have a good chance of pulling it off. Its possible that theyll win it in 7, but I see 6 to be more likely to happen.
I agree. I think whoever wins this series does it in 6, and that's for either team.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:25 AM
All-Pro

wow, just an amazing win by Rockets in Game 1 with LA. Yao, Arteste, Brooks, great games and the whole team did really well. that was exciting to watch.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Yao's return from injury was simply legendary.

It's nice to know he simply knocked knees, but that was a looooooong commercial break before we knew anything other than Yao in pain laying on the floor.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Regular Starter

Not a Willis Reed moment, but he showed me some stones last night. Jeff Van Gundy always talks about how Yao cares, and how bad he wants to win, and I see it more and more. This team showed grit all year, the battle with injuries, and last night taking back the lead in the 4th quarter.

Kobe, besides being an adulterer, is a punk/loser after rubbing his junk on the head of Battier. I have zero respect for crap like that.